State of Minds last night - Linfield fans visit Clones

Started by T Fearon, June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Anyone else see this? In a programme designed to test the level of tolerance/intolerance, it featured a father and son, both Linfield fans, going to Clones for last year's Derry Donegal semi final and two taigs attending a 12 of July Parade and the Field.

Thought the Linfield lads were great. Both stood for the Soldiers Song (and the son could be heard to say I never thought I'd be standing for this!) and seemed to enjoy the occasion immensely and said they would go again. Fair play to the Derry fan who sat beside them and answered all their questions politely and showed no adverse reaction at all (perhaps apart from mild surprise) when they explained to him that they were Linfield fans and he actually appeared on the programme in the studio last night with them.

I feel that this showed our national games up in a hugely positive light. The two lads enjoted their day, seemed to be amazed that rivals supporters could sit beside each other without a gouging match and importantly they said they would be happy to go back.

However the cameras didn't show Paddy Campbell grabbing Enda Muldoon by the Max Walls and the two lads didn't comment on it either ;D

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 AM
Fair play to the Derry fan who sat beside them and answered all their questions politely and showed no adverse reaction at all

Why would they have been bothered by them.

I have Unionist mates that go to the odd NFL games to support the Tyrone team.
Testing Accessibility

amallon

I thought it was fantastic.  The look on the Derry supporters face when they said Linfield was priceless.

I never knew about the differences in the way Maghera was pronounced.  Do prods really say mackera?

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

GweylTah

Quote from: Gnevin on June 21, 2007, 11:23:38 AM
How did the 2 lads get on at the parade?

They were bored, not their thing, but said the 'field' was OK and they enjoyed the bugers.  A bit of banter about Derry / Londonderry but that was about it.

The Linfield fans seemed more crack as individuals than the young SDLP pair, the look and the lengthy pause when it dawned on the Derry Gaelic fan that these were two Linfield fans was very illuminating.  Probably better and gentler for the Linfield pair that they went to Clones, than to Casement Park given its location and unpleasant baggage.

ziggysego

Ack now Gweyl, I'm sure it wouldn't have been any different in Casement Park. Though granted, it may have made them a little more nervous going into it.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on June 21, 2007, 11:29:32 AM
Fair play to the Derry fan who sat beside them and answered all their questions politely and showed no adverse reaction at all

Yes Ziggy, and I heard that your mates were glued to their seats throughout the match. If they hadnt a been they would have left. Boom boom!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GweylTah

By the way, I meant to type the 'young' SDLP pair seemed to enjoy the BURGERS, not what I typed.  Though you never know with those fraternal organisations like the OO ...

:-X

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on June 21, 2007, 12:23:47 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 21, 2007, 11:29:32 AM

Yes Ziggy, and I heard that your mates were glued to their seats throughout the match. If they hadnt a been they would have left. Boom boom!

Don't give up the day job Orior

Quote from: GweylTah on June 21, 2007, 12:23:56 PM
By the way, I meant to type the 'young' SDLP pair seemed to enjoy the BURGERS, not what I typed.  Though you never know with those fraternal organisations like the OO ...

:-X

And you too Gweyl ;)
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

The "young SDLP" pair were shitting themselves when the drunken spides with carryouts started questioning them about where they were from. The Dungiven lad actually had to say "Londonderry", which he wasn't happy about.

The Linfield pair were impressed with the family atmosphere, the amount of women and children and that opposing supporters sat side by side in Clones.

T Fearon

Gwelytah, could the fact that the Linfield lads were more crack than the SDLP attendees at the Orange Parade, not result from the fact that the Linfield lads felt more comfortable and at ease...to the extent that they felt able to disclose to a complete stranger that they were Linfield fans without fear of any repercussions, and if this indeed was the case does it not speak volumes for the GAA fraternity?

Unfortunately I had to go out and missed the SDLP lads at the Orange parade. Did they divulge their identity to any of the marchers or spectators?

his holiness nb

I find it amusing that a thread about the two communities going into "enemy territory" as some would call it and getting on quite well indeed is interrupted by Gwelyah who felt the need to have a wee dig at Casement and suggest it would be different there.
An assumption of course, but why even mention that?
Its a good thing that both sets of guys got on well, can you not just leave it at that?
Focus on the positives Gwyel.
When prods and catholics are buggering each other at an orange order parade its plain to see times have changed  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Donagh

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 12:34:41 PM
Did they divulge their identity to any of the marchers or spectators?

Did they f***!

An Fear Rua

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 21, 2007, 12:51:03 PM
When prods and catholics are buggering each other at an orange order parade its plain to see times have changed  ;)

depends on who was giving and who was taking!!!!
Its Grim up North

T Fearon

Thought as much Donagh! A massive victory for tolerance for the Northern Irish Nationalist community once again.

The only downside was the BBC drawing a parallell between a cultural and sporting organisation like the GAA and a sectarian extremist quasi political-paramilitary organisation like the OO, >:(