The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: whitey on September 25, 2022, 12:51:10 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on September 25, 2022, 12:33:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 25, 2022, 11:58:40 AM
The charges are garbage

The banks aren't stupid-they have some of the best and brightest attorneys and accountants overseeing these loan applications

Their work is further scrutinized by auditors and regulators

2 Manhattan DAs , Cy Vance and Alvin Bragg investigated these same charges using the same evidence and neither brought criminal charges against Trump

But the bottom line is you're on board with an AG targeting political opponents-fair enough

I am OK with wrongdoing being investigated and charges brought if there is a case there...  by your logical an AG can only prosecut those of a similar political preference....

to your first two point again, that hasn't prevented fraud, wrong doing  before so it is not 100%, this point seems lost on you..

if the charges are garage then surely Trump comes out stronger and cleaner.. he should welcome this type of challenge if nothing to hide...

Wrongdoing had already been investigated by 2 Separate Manhattan DAs and neither brought charges (and both  men would be considered hostile toward Trump)

And you are correct, if Trump gets off it's a win for him. (But this is a civil case so there's a much lower threshold so who knows how it goes)

I dont know much about the history. You might remember my initial comment was about white collar crime. That was all I wanted to add.

Auditors, lawyers, regulators etc. have all been around and there has been fraud and wrongdoing. You have tried to use those as a defense of defense of Trump that he could not do what he is accused of because of auditors etc.

I'll leave it there, I've no interest in the soap opera that is American politics...

Gmac

Quote from: lenny on September 25, 2022, 02:44:24 PM
The charges are garbage

The banks aren't stupid-they have some of the best and brightest attorneys and accountants overseeing these loan applications

2 Manhattan DAs , Cy Vance and Alvin Bragg investigated these same charges using the same evidence and neither brought criminal charges against Trump

But the bottom line is you're on board with an AG targeting political opponents-fair enough

I am OK with wrongdoing being investigated and charges brought if there is a case there...  by your logical an AG can only prosecut those of a similar political preference....

to your first two point again, that hasn't prevented fraud, wrong doing  before so it is not 100%, this point seems lost on you..

if the charges are garage then surely Trump comes out stronger and cleaner.. he should welcome this type of challenge if nothing to hide...

Wrongdoing had already been investigated by 2 Separate Manhattan DAs and neither brought charges (and both  men would be considered hostile toward Trump)

And you are correct, if Trump gets off it's a win for him. (But this is a civil case so there's a much lower threshold so who knows how it goes)

Let's just hope that justice is done then and if he's guilty that it finishes him once and for all.
yes bring on Desantis

J70

The charges are garbage

There were resignations from the DA's office over Bragg's handling of the investigation since he got in.

And the previous guy Vance let them off with barely slaps on the wrist over fraud in a Soho building, no doubt greased by political contributions ( similar concerns were raised about Vance and his treatment of allegations against Harvey Weinstein).

Eamonnca1

Today in BS manufactured conservative outrage: Someone called Lizzo (a black female musician, oh boy is she gonna get it!) played a 200 year-old flute owned by James Madison.

Here is a selection of reactions from the howling wilderness of a planet that is the right wing rubbishosphere, from people who I guarantee never even heard of this flute a few days before:

"The Library of Congress really took out a 200-year old flute that belonged to James Madison just so Lizzo could twerk with it. They degrade our history and then call you racist if you actually value it."

"We're going to let Kid Rock crowd surf on Obama's presidential portrait if and when Republicans retake the White House."

"A humiliation ritual. They don't care about our history. They just want to mock and defile it." (Note the "they" and "our" in that sentence. Very telling.)

"If you can figure out the link between raiding the home of a peaceful man who offered to turn himself in and an anti-American singer twerking with James Madison's flute, congratulations. You know what's happening and what time it is."

"This Lizzo-flute controversy is a perfect example of what I have termed Face Tattoo Phenomenon™: the phenomenon whereby someone does something deliberately controversial in an attempt to draw attention, and then acts offended when you notice. If all we had seen was the clip of Lizzo playing the flute in the halls of the Library of Congress while wearing a semi-modest outfit, everyone would have shrugged. But that's not the clip everyone championed as groundbreaking: it was the clip where she bragged about twerking. ... It's the vulgarization of American history."

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 06:53:07 AM
Today in BS manufactured conservative outrage: Someone called Lizzo (a black female musician, oh boy is she gonna get it!) played a 200 year-old flute owned by James Madison.

Here is a selection of reactions from the howling wilderness of a planet that is the right wing rubbishosphere, from people who I guarantee never even heard of this flute a few days before:

"The Library of Congress really took out a 200-year old flute that belonged to James Madison just so Lizzo could twerk with it. They degrade our history and then call you racist if you actually value it."

"We're going to let Kid Rock crowd surf on Obama's presidential portrait if and when Republicans retake the White House."

"A humiliation ritual. They don't care about our history. They just want to mock and defile it." (Note the "they" and "our" in that sentence. Very telling.)

"If you can figure out the link between raiding the home of a peaceful man who offered to turn himself in and an anti-American singer twerking with James Madison's flute, congratulations. You know what's happening and what time it is."

"This Lizzo-flute controversy is a perfect example of what I have termed Face Tattoo Phenomenon™: the phenomenon whereby someone does something deliberately controversial in an attempt to draw attention, and then acts offended when you notice. If all we had seen was the clip of Lizzo playing the flute in the halls of the Library of Congress while wearing a semi-modest outfit, everyone would have shrugged. But that's not the clip everyone championed as groundbreaking: it was the clip where she bragged about twerking. ... It's the vulgarization of American history."
any conservative should be more worried about the state of the president and VP, joe calling on dead people at an event and then wandering around clueless after making a few speeches during the week very sad , VP doesn't know the difference between north and South Korea.
Getting beyond a joke .

J70

I think I'm just going to continue letting the spirit of bipartisan cooperation and respect wash over me as the feds and the states of Florida and the Carolinas together tackle the devastation of Ian, and forget about the Lizzo "crisis", Joe's embarrassing calling out of the late congresswoman, and Trump's Jedi Mind Trick declassification and anti-democracy notions.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on September 30, 2022, 05:18:14 PM
I think I'm just going to continue letting the spirit of bipartisan cooperation and respect wash over me as the feds and the states of Florida and the Carolinas together tackle the devastation of Ian, and forget about the Lizzo "crisis", Joe's embarrassing calling out of the late congresswoman, and Trump's Jedi Mind Trick declassification and anti-democracy notions.
we all can agree on the former but it must be getting obvious to you even what a disaster these 2 have been to the country and world .

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 30, 2022, 05:18:14 PM

Could Lizzo have actually worn some clothes to the performance? I'm  scarred after watching that spectacle

Wildweasel74

No worst that the man before him,

RedHand88

Just saw the Biden video. It's scary that this man has the nuclear codes. I pity him.

lenny

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 01, 2022, 10:06:22 AM
Just saw the Biden video. It's scary that this man has the nuclear codes. I pity him.

At least he hasn't reached the level of wearing his trousers back to front or telling people to drink bleach. And also, fair play to him he pays his taxes.

mrdeeds

Quote from: lenny on October 01, 2022, 11:56:23 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 01, 2022, 10:06:22 AM

At least he hasn't reached the level of wearing his trousers back to front or telling people to drink bleach. And also, fair play to him he pays his taxes.

I'm no fan of Trump or his family but you can still think that Biden is way too old and senile to be President.

RedHand88

I'm also no fan of Trump but he never use the words "drink" or "bleach".
People are so bloody partisan that they still believe any rubbish if it confirms their bias.

Youd also think Trump won in 2020 the way some people go on. Man is living rent free in some heads.

lenny

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 01, 2022, 12:22:10 PM
I'm also no fan of Trump but he never use the words "drink" or "bleach".
People are so bloody partisan that they still believe any rubbish if it confirms their bias.

Youd also think Trump won in 2020 the way some people go on. Man is living rent free in some heads.

And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it'd be interesting to check that, so that you're going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we'll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That's pretty powerful.

That's trump's quote. You're defending it because he didn't use the word bleach but he did use the word disinfectant which is bleach based almost always. What gets me is that some people who are constantly criticising biden also gave trump a complete bye ball. Biden has generally done a great job as president so far. He's made the odd gaffe but nothing close to the thing trump said and did. I agree though that it's a sad indictment of the USA that the last 2 presidents have been trump and biden.

RedHand88

Lol nowhere in that waffle is there anything resembling drink bleach. It's ok, admit you got it wrong and we'll move on. It happens.