Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on April 28, 2024, 06:12:35 PMThe final is a game that's got 0.13 to 0.12 written all over it! It will be an arm wrestle. My biggest fear is the Armagh sideline, there'll no doubt by some unnecessary tactical masterstroke from McGeeney. It'll likely be a game that will be won ugly, so i don't care how it's won, but I would really like to see us play to our strengths and have some balls.

I hope geezer doesn't over think it too much. We need to learn the lesson from 2022 and the 2 matches against Donegal that year. The first match in Ballybofey we played to try and counteract Donegals strengths and ended up getting soundly beaten. A change in tactical approach a few weeks later and we won the game comfortably by playing to our own strengths. I would like to think that the lessons will have been learned and that we play the game on our terms and not try and beat Donegal at a game which they are the masters at.

It might have even been part of the thinking by holding some of the big players in reserve for the League final earlier in the year.

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2024, 05:29:41 PMArmagh and Donegal have played 140+ minutes of football this season with a single point separating them.

Yes, it's clear that it's Donegal's to lose. ::)
Donegal maybe ever so slight favourites given the 2 championship games both have played. Both league games I don't think either team went all out and we've obviously gained Rian back who will be a massive help.

Cunny Funt

What a difference a year makes for Donegal. Organisation, high work rate and fitness they have in abundance now. It was decent game in Celtic Park, competitive throughout made it intriguing watch and I'll be surprised if the same doesn't happen for the final. Is it a gimmick for Philly McMahon to give the Man of the match to a player from a losing team?

Truthsayer

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 28, 2024, 07:24:00 PMWhat a difference a year makes for Donegal. Organisation, high work rate and fitness they have in abundance now. It was decent game in Celtic Park, competitive throughout made it intriguing watch and I'll be surprised if the same doesn't happen for the final. Is it a gimmick for Philly McMahon to give the Man of the match to a player from a losing team?
Who'd he give it to? I switched over after..

SHEEDY

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 28, 2024, 07:31:46 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 28, 2024, 07:24:00 PMWhat a difference a year makes for Donegal. Organisation, high work rate and fitness they have in abundance now. It was decent game in Celtic Park, competitive throughout made it intriguing watch and I'll be surprised if the same doesn't happen for the final. Is it a gimmick for Philly McMahon to give the Man of the match to a player from a losing team?
Niall Morgan
nil satis nisi optimum

Truthsayer

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 28, 2024, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 28, 2024, 07:31:46 PM
Niall Morgan
Ok. 👍

Wildweasel74

Morgan had caught that ball at the end over normal time, it was game over

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 28, 2024, 07:59:34 PMMorgan had caught thst ball at the end over normal time, it was game over

Morgan's kickouts were awful in the 2nd half and extra time. I think he must have cost 4 points. And he got motm? Madness.
In saying that's, there was no standout player, so maybe his free taking got it for him.

greatpoint

Quote from: Feckitt on April 28, 2024, 06:39:16 PM
Quote from: Norm-Peterson on April 28, 2024, 05:53:45 PMCeltic park seems to be lucky for Donegal, maybe because of the towns Tyrconnell history. I notice there is a street down the road from it called Tyrconnell street.

I always thought that Tir Connail was Donegal but not including the Inis Eoghain peninsula (which includes Derry City) Tir Connail & Inis Eoghain combined create Contae Dún na nGall. Is this correct??

It's not correct.

Tír Chonaill from about 1200 (when it split from Tír Eoghain) onwards did include Inishowen.

An Watcher

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 28, 2024, 07:59:34 PMMorgan had caught that ball at the end over normal time, it was game over

Or even got a good fist to it which was risky in itself.  He's usually very secure with those balls and probably would have got a free out if he caught it.  He'll be disappointed he didn't catch ut

trueblue1234

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 28, 2024, 08:16:07 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 28, 2024, 07:59:34 PMMorgan had caught thst ball at the end over normal time, it was game over

Morgan's kickouts were awful in the 2nd half and extra time. I think he must have cost 4 points. And he got motm? Madness.
In saying that's, there was no standout player, so maybe his free taking got it for him.
I think some of that was the lack of runners in the 2nd half by Tyrone. Fitness was starting to show a bit.boys were getting leggy, I thought he was actually still getting the majority right. Few went wayward but don't think it was more that 3/4 in whole game. And some of his better ones were great platforms for some of Tyrone's attacks. I think he's the best passer in the game at the minute tbh. Maybe I'm bias tho!!  ;D 

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Why is the final between the 2 d2 teams? Hmmmn.

Rossfan

You'll find they're officially now Division 1 teams😉

Téigh ar ais don leaba a Sheaf.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: David McKeown on April 28, 2024, 06:59:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2024, 05:29:41 PMArmagh and Donegal have played 140+ minutes of football this season with a single point separating them.

Yes, it's clear that it's Donegal's to lose. ::)

I know the game was scrubbed but the McKenna cup did happen

Did Armagh not play their U-20s in that game?

Zero relevance.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2024, 09:28:22 PMWhy is the final between the 2 d2 teams? Hmmmn.
Div 2 seems to be the place to be nowadays, current All Ireland champions played in Div 2 last year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose