Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

What's the thoughts on Shelfflin in Galway? Heard a few fans chatting on the way out and they weren't overly impressed with his so far.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Wildweasel74

He didn't lose that game, then couple of lads at the end did.still inexperienced. Manager at County level but Galway aren't overly strong either.

burdizzo

Will he ever manage Kilkenny, I wonder? I have my doubts.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 11, 2023, 09:17:13 PM
I hope Clare aren't as gassed as they were last year.

You're a very caring soul Seafoid.

Eire90

i think people are fed up with same teams in final nearly every year we probably get kilkenny and galway again next year people become apathetic to it is there event that much celebration in Kilkenny town when they win a leinster i think its time provincials were scrapped and have open draw all ireland maybe two groups of 5 or 6 provincial finals could be replace by semi final qualifiers or just put group winners straight into semis.

seafoid

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 11, 2023, 10:10:37 PM
What's the thoughts on Shelfflin in Galway? Heard a few fans chatting on the way out and they weren't overly impressed with his so far.
I think the challenge is for the medium term. To build a team for the post Limerick era. It's the same in Kilkenny. Neither team is the finished article. There has to be progress every year.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/12/nicky-english-provincial-races-may-be-closed-but-all-ireland-remains-open-season/
(Opens in new window)

Gaelic Games

Nicky English: Provincial races may be run but All-Ireland remains an open bookLimerick again showed how hard they are to beat whereas Galway are not as damaged by Leinster final defeat as last year

Expand

Limerick's Peter Casey collides with Tony Kelly of Clare during the last play of the game. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho

Nicky English

Mon Jun 12 2023 - 05:00

I can't say that two extremely close matches in the provincial finals left me any the wiser about the relativities of the remaining teams. But now that they're over and we move on to the All-Ireland, it's looking like open season, a series of matches that will be decided on the day.

In Munster, Limerick didn't necessarily sustain the improvement I thought I saw against Cork. Maybe the heat affected them but they looked heavy-legged. 

It's a great achievement by Derek Lyng in his first season and highlighted again the goal threat Kilkenny are bringing to matches.

For Galway this doesn't look terminal in the way last year's Leinster final defeat felt. I think there was a lot like about them. They'll have a big say but it's Kilkenny who go straight to the semi-final.

After the dust has settled I still think Limerick have the highest ceiling even though we haven't really glimpsed it yet but they are so hard to beat if not the foregone conclusions of earlier this year. This is turning into a grinding championship and the champions are accomplished at that.

Overall, though, it's open season as this weekend has again demonstrated

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2023, 06:29:07 AM
I think the challenge is for the medium term. To build a team for the post Limerick era. It's the same in Kilkenny. Neither team is the finished article. There has to be progress every year.

The post Limerick era could be in 3/4 years time

Galway haven't progressed under Shefflin

Even more inconsistent than they were before he arrived

Defensive structure very poor

And the Achilles heel of goalkeeping still not resolved

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sensini on June 11, 2023, 02:50:00 PM
Limerick have this. Have 50 on them and Galway to win.

So close ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Dónal Óg on the Galway backs.
https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1668007300853006336
The last bit about kicking the ball to Buckley reminded me of the 2005 final. He was in goal and saved from Hayes I think  who was rushing in. He batted the goal to the side. There was no goal .

NAG1

Clare v Limerick - Clare definitely left it behind, bad wides and shots at bad times killed them. 100% was a free if not two at the very end, but even if had gone to ET I only think there was one winner.

Galway v Kilkenny - Two fragile looking teams, not good news for KK that they are relying on Big Walter to come on and pull them out of the fire. Hard to know what to make of Galway, tonnes of talent but seem to be lacking mentally when it comes to killing the game, had one or two chances offensively to make better decisions at the end and obviously numerous defensive ones in that melee.

joemamas

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2023, 06:40:44 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/12/nicky-english-provincial-races-may-be-closed-but-all-ireland-remains-open-season/
(Opens in new window)

Gaelic Games

Nicky English: Provincial races may be run but All-Ireland remains an open bookLimerick again showed how hard they are to beat whereas Galway are not as damaged by Leinster final defeat as last year

Expand

Limerick's Peter Casey collides with Tony Kelly of Clare during the last play of the game. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho

Nicky English

Mon Jun 12 2023 - 05:00

I can't say that two extremely close matches in the provincial finals left me any the wiser about the relativities of the remaining teams. But now that they're over and we move on to the All-Ireland, it's looking like open season, a series of matches that will be decided on the day.

In Munster, Limerick didn't necessarily sustain the improvement I thought I saw against Cork. Maybe the heat affected them but they looked heavy-legged.

It's a great achievement by Derek Lyng in his first season and highlighted again the goal threat Kilkenny are bringing to matches.

For Galway this doesn't look terminal in the way last year's Leinster final defeat felt. I think there was a lot like about them. They'll have a big say but it's Kilkenny who go straight to the semi-final.

After the dust has settled I still think Limerick have the highest ceiling even though we haven't really glimpsed it yet but they are so hard to beat if not the foregone conclusions of earlier this year. This is turning into a grinding championship and the champions are accomplished at that.

Overall, though, it's open season as this weekend has again demonstrated

Thanks for posting

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/12/clare-can-find-solace-in-defeat-as-the-numbers-dont-add-up-for-limerick/
If Limerick were an NFL team, the stats junkies would be sizing them up for a takedown. Their five championship matches so far this year have resulted in a two-point win, two one-point wins, a draw and a one-point defeat. Five games, washing out to an aggregate scoring difference in their favour of just three points.

The advanced metrics dudes would not find that kind of thing impressive. Particularly when you compare it to this point in 2022, when Limerick's aggregate scoring difference after their fourth Munster title in a row was +24. They certainly wouldn't look at the numbers and come to the conclusion that Limerick deserve to be odds-on favourites for the All-Ireland.

seafoid

Quote from: clonadmad on June 12, 2023, 08:36:55 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2023, 06:29:07 AM

The post Limerick era could be in 3/4 years time

Galway haven't progressed under Shefflin

Even more inconsistent than they were before he arrived

Defensive structure very poor

And the Achilles heel of goalkeeping still not resolved
Let's see how far they get this year.
He is a big improvement on his predecessor. In 2021 they lost to Waterford in the qualifiers.
He has been good at introducing new players. Kilkenny were just as inconsistent yesterday and just as ropey in defence.
And the post Limerick era could start next month.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2023, 04:16:42 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/12/clare-can-find-solace-in-defeat-as-the-numbers-dont-add-up-for-limerick/
If Limerick were an NFL team, the stats junkies would be sizing them up for a takedown. Their five championship matches so far this year have resulted in a two-point win, two one-point wins, a draw and a one-point defeat. Five games, washing out to an aggregate scoring difference in their favour of just three points.

The advanced metrics dudes would not find that kind of thing impressive. Particularly when you compare it to this point in 2022, when Limerick's aggregate scoring difference after their fourth Munster title in a row was +24. They certainly wouldn't look at the numbers and come to the conclusion that Limerick deserve to be odds-on favourites for the All-Ireland.

Tight margins when you break it down like thst but they still get over the line when it matters.  A good break for them and Kilkenny now.

Mullan is a big miss for the Cats and Richie Reid is a great reader of the game from 6. Likes to sit in the pocket and has time now.

TJ got on the board from play yesterday.  Game too-ed and flowed and KK had it and then Galway had it. They should have seen it out. I'm sure they're gutted. Galway could have a say yet.

Limerick do what Limerick do. Be interesting to see how Clare respond.