Saddest day following your county?

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 18, 2009, 09:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

It had to happen & only fitting a mayo man should start it. Kerry x2, galway '89 in tuam, donegal '92, meath '96, rossie's '01 & two weeks ago were all tough to take but '93 was by far the worst for me
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Denn Forever

Surely the title for this should be Worst day following you county?

The is are many more things that could make you Sad than a simple game of football or Hurling.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2009, 09:32:56 AM
It had to happen & only fitting a mayo man should start it. Kerry x2, galway '89 in tuam, donegal '92, meath '96, rossie's '01 & two weeks ago were all tough to take but '93 was by far the worst for me

Agree. Was there myself in '93. And what's worse, I was on work experience in Dublin at the time, so I heard all about that match for a long time. But as bad as I felt, it was nothing on my brother's mate who had flown in from Brisbane especially for the game. There was just nothing to say after that match.

At least McHale admitted in 'House of Pain' that the team gave up on the pitch. We knew that of course but you can't say those things out loud.

The two AIF annihilations this decade were tough to take, but for me the '97 final was second only to the '93 game. For the simple reason that we had pulled to within a point of Kerry, were obviously good enough to beat them, but didn't. It was as if Kerry were waiting to be beaten, realised Mayo weren't able, and cantered along to an All-Ireland that we were good enough to win. That was a soul-destroying day.

Barney

1993 was bad (did you see Jack O'Shea in the Sunday Times this week hanging the players out to dry - it would serve him better to take his share of the blame and give the County Board a refund with interest. It was a collective disgrace).

1996 was devastating - twice - we lived the dream for a short period. I remember hearing Micheal O'M's commentary on Ray Dempsey's goal afterwards - you could hear the roar of the crowd and Micheal shouting "1936, 1950, 1951... and Mayo are looking good to end the long wait", and it put the hairs standing on the back of your head, and we all know what happened. I won't forget the gray faces walking across the pitch the day after the first game - as near as you will get to a funeral - I was in the Hogan and just crossed over the pitch, took a seat in the Cusack and cried my eyes out. I'm not afraid to admit it.

1997 was disappointing, but we were not at the races. People say we threw it away but we didn't. 2004 and 2006 again were disappointing because the dream just seemed further away than ever, and in 2004 losing the u21 Final the week after the senior final was gutting.

Then there was the time after Maughan when Holmes and his team lost to Sligo, Fermanagh, Roscommon and Westmeath. We were back to reality very quickly.

But all counties have disappointing days every year bar one and in Mayo we need to move past the hard-done-by attitude, the bookes, the radio programmes that go with it and look forward. If you think postiively good things will happen.

Shamrock Shore

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 18, 2009, 10:07:26 AM
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

:D Can't be followed - close the thread.

I don't think I can take much more of feeling sorry for Mayo anyway.

longrunsthefox

Strangly enough and the week that is in it ... 1973 All Ireland semi-final when Cork Hammered Tyrone 5-10 to  2-4. Long before most of youse boys (and girls) was born. The Fox was only a cub and went to game with my Dad and brothers. It poured. We thought Tyrone were great and going to win the All Ireland. Cork were a different class... great team. Only waited another 30 years for Sam! 
Ps: All Ireland final 1995 V Dublin and lose by one point wasn't easy either. 

Croí na hÉireann

2004 quarter final against Derry, they scored 2 first half goals, we reeled them back in slowly but surely to take the lead with 5 mins left. We were out on our feet though and they reeled off 3 without reply. Absolutely soul destroying, worse than anything the previous years had thrown at us.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Archie Mitchell

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 18, 2009, 10:45:18 AM
Sligo 2002  :(

Was that not the best thing to happen yee... ;)

The most gut wrenching day for me was Minor Connacht Final in 96 i think(please correct me on that)...absolutely battered mayo in everything but the scoreline, were 0-8 to 1-3 up with time up, P Gallagher misjudges a easy catch 15yrds in front of goal, drops it to a mayo forward, goal, game over.

Last yr was probably second worst coming out of McHale park. The pathetic manner of that defeat and defending of our title was a joke, add in a certain player and mayo and it doesnt get any worse.

The worse defeats are based on expectations going in, it can be crushing.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GaillimhIarthair

'83 - Football - I was a very very sad 10 year old trooping out of Croke Park that day

'89 - Hurling - An absolute disaster of a year with the Keady affair that was topped only by that bollox of a ref, John Denton, in the semi v Tipp.  The auld fella hasnt been at a Galway hurling match since  :-\.

The GAA

Saturday. nearly always a saturday in recent times with armagh...