Eamon Burns Point

Started by panc56, August 05, 2009, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panc56

Does anyone remember a brilliant point by the Derry player Eamon Burns a few years back. I met the same gent on Monday last along with Tony Scullion. I tried you - tube but I cant find a clip of that point he scored. Anyone know where I could get it?

Thanks

tbrick18

What game?
Eamon scored more than one point you know  :o

DuffleKing

in the athletic grounds in 93 i think. dummy toetap to beat a block with the left and fired it over with the right

BroJolly

I know Eamonn too from Uni. I think it was the year Down first won their first all Irealand (91).  I think in that same match Anyhony Tohill and Joe Brolly came on having just come back from Aussie Rules? (Could be wrong about that)

Eamonn was a really talented guy. Was captain of Hogan Cup winning team in 1990 and also won All Ireland minors.

imtommygunn

91 against down in the athletic grounds.

ross carr equalised and down , obviously, won the replay.

that's my recollection anyway...

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: ziggysego on August 05, 2009, 11:15:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKkFLOfn4Zk

Awww ziggy you got my hopes up there,  i clicked in the hope of being transported down memory lane to relive that magical moment !
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

cornerback

As it sailed over the bar i think the commentators words were "you'll never see a better score for skill, control & finish"

AFAIK a down defender tripped over himself and broke his ankle as Eamonn sold him a dummy...

Think i have it at home on video - super score...

Fecking teachers off work able to go to the game on Monday  ;)

Bogball XV

Quote from: BroJolly on August 05, 2009, 11:00:02 PM
I know Eamonn too from Uni. I think it was the year Down first won their first all Irealand (91).  I think in that same match Anyhony Tohill and Joe Brolly came on having just come back from Aussie Rules? (Could be wrong about that)

Eamonn was a really talented guy. Was captain of Hogan Cup winning team in 1990 and also won All Ireland minors.
I think it was in the 93 massacre in the marshes. 
Virtually certain Brolly wasn't in the panel until after Derry exited the championship in 91 (Brolly never played Aussie rules - but I presume you know that, didn't really have the physique).  Tohill was home and playing club football in early '91 and he may well have come on that day.

the green man

Sonny Joe

Quote from: the green man on August 06, 2009, 01:23:11 PM
Athletic Grounds 91.

spot on, the Athletic grounds in Armagh 1991 semi final drawn game against Down
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Estimator

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 06, 2009, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: BroJolly on August 05, 2009, 11:00:02 PM

I think it was in the 93 massacre in the marshes. 
Virtually certain Brolly wasn't in the panel until after Derry exited the championship in 91 (Brolly never played Aussie rules - but I presume you know that, didn't really have the physique).  Tohill was home and playing club football in early '91 and he may well have come on that day.
Brolly certainly did play. Him and McGilligan set up the goal for Burns.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Radioulster

Was at this game in Armagh Down had a big lead and derry came back at them, was probably burns best display in a derry jersey, Brolly made his derry debut that day or else in the replay

The GAA

brolly didn't play in the first ound against down in 93

Hoof Hearted

yes i think brolly's first appearance in 93 was as as sub against monaghan at casement in the ulster semi-final.
i remember Burnsy's point that day, brilliant.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012