Eamon Burns Point

Started by panc56, August 05, 2009, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

The television commentator was Jimmy Smyth, and I think the Down defender who bought the dummy from Burns was Conor Deegan. He was injured but didn't break his ankle as he played on the winning Down side in the replay. The earlier goal was scored by McGilligan, not Burns, as far as I remember.

It was quite a match, which Down had practically wrapped up until big Austin went off injured and Greg Blaney got sent off in quick succession. Blaney would have been suspended under the rules of the day if the replay had been a week later, as scheduled, but amazingly the Derry county board agreed to a two week delay. Blaney was eligible again, won every ball, and an All Ireland duly followed.

panc56

91 V Down , played in Athletic Grounds. I'm still no nearer finding a clip of it. Come you Ulster lot , this was supposedly the vintage era!

Estimator

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 06, 2009, 09:12:53 PM
The television commentator was Jimmy Smyth, and I think the Down defender who bought the dummy from Burns was Conor Deegan. He was injured but didn't break his ankle as he played on the winning Down side in the replay. The earlier goal was scored by McGilligan, not Burns, as far as I remember.

It was quite a match, which Down had practically wrapped up until big Austin went off injured and Greg Blaney got sent off in quick succession. Blaney would have been suspended under the rules of the day if the replay had been a week later, as scheduled, but amazingly the Derry county board agreed to a two week delay. Blaney was eligible again, won every ball, and an All Ireland duly followed.

No, I just watched the highlights of the game from BBC's The Championship. It has survived 18yrs. Burns scored 1-5 that day. McGilligan beat big Austin to the ball played a 1-2 with Brolly, Brian ran on and fisted across the square for Burns to volley in.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Trevor Hill

Quote from: panc56 on August 06, 2009, 09:41:15 PM
91 V Down , played in Athletic Grounds. I'm still no nearer finding a clip of it. Come you Ulster lot , this was supposedly the vintage era!

send amallon a pm, he should have it, he has put quite a few videos of the 1990s games on youtube, but seems to have edited them to show only Down scores. Some cracking scores in those games.
Whatever happend to the "Down Hardcore" ?

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2009, 10:53:16 PM
This was a game to be remembered for a number of reasons. Eamon Burns' point, Enda Gormley giving away the free for the equaliser and the esteemed Mr M Greenan's wonderful performance as referee. Some young upstart called Tohill dandered on in the second half too, his first appearance for Doire.

There's a blast from the past.

Last time I saw him he was making up new words for the BBC's preview of the Tyrone Derry match. Robustuous, I believe.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Doire abú

Drumanee 1

brolly started the first match against down in 91 on the bench,derry were seven down and looking down and out and brolly told coleman "if he wanted to win the match put me on" so eamon obliged and brolly turned on the style and along with burns hauled derry back to go one up until that bollicks grennan gave a free in which carr stuck over the bar.derry were well beat in the replay.

burns also scored a brillant goal which he volleyed soccer style to the net

screenmachine

He also scored the goal that won the league for Draperstown Celtic 2 years ago much to the delight of the fans and if your lucky you could still hear the odd chant of:

"Who scored the goal that won the league...Burnsie...Burnsie"

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Drumanee 1

just read the derry post and they did a article on this months edition of the oak leaf magazine and theres a feature on eamon burns and the 89 winning minor team,should be a good read

Estimator

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 07, 2009, 11:48:03 AM
brolly started the first match against down in 91 on the bench,derry were seven down and looking down and out and brolly told coleman "if he wanted to win the match put me on" so eamon obliged and brolly turned on the style and along with burns hauled derry back to go one up until that bollicks grennan gave a free in which carr stuck over the bar.derry were well beat in the replay.

burns also scored a brillant goal which he volleyed soccer style to the net

The volley in '93 in the Marshes was better

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 07, 2009, 12:58:57 PM
just read the derry post and they did a article on this months edition of the oak leaf magazine and theres a feature on eamon burns and the 89 winning minor team,should be a good read

Bought it today - its a good read surely.  For all the 'Screen men out there, there's a couple of quality photographs from the '73 Championship winning sides. There's also a good piece on the birth of Bellaghy's dominance in the County Championship.
Ulster League Champions 2009