Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

The players seem to be very well looked after now... this is total self interest to wring more and more out of GAA in their bid for eventual pay for play. The boycott of interviews is a load of nonsense. If there was no TV or newspapers they would not have any profile. Sean Cavanagh walked away with two top range cars last year... why not put the cost of them into the players fund for the Tyrone players he claims are on the 'breadline?' Is a load of hyperbole..     

The GAA

The players are generally better looked after now because the GPA came into existence. the majority of county boards still don't meet their agreed welfare charter though.

Jmohan - how would you feel the GPA should "better defend KIelt"? should farrel have been on the pitch? or do you know of some further assault that kielt has been subjected to since the incident?

JMohan

Quote from: The GAA on June 27, 2009, 04:36:58 PM

The players are generally better looked after now because the GPA came into existence. the majority of county boards still don't meet their agreed welfare charter though.

Jmohan - how would you feel the GPA should "better defend KIelt"? should farrel have been on the pitch? or do you know of some further assault that kielt has been subjected to since the incident?
Perhaps bad choice of exmaple considering the feeling around it.

No I just mean that the GPA should be more concerned with player protection and defending & supporting them rather than looking directly for money.
So for example - do the GPA try and help make sure he sees the best surgeons? Do they ring him to see if he's ok, has had proper insurance, do they help young players get media training or organise sponsors or organise private medical insurance discounts etc. ... I don't know - but I think you know what I mean - player welfare issues - not just chasing the coin.

The GAA

I'd be fairly certain that they do.

JMohan

Well then if they are doing that for all 1600 or so members then I'm sure they have enough to do without trying to hassle the GAA into getting them jobs and paying them

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

What player was it talked about here not so long ago who'd been injured and he said the gpa didnt contact him once?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 27, 2009, 05:29:12 PM
What player was it talked about here not so long ago who'd been injured and he said the gpa didnt contact him once?

Brian McGuigan..... I think, but I'm happy enough to be proved wrong on that account, as I'm not 100% sure.
Testing Accessibility

JMohan

Well it's just an elite organisation for IC players ... including ex Na Fianna members

tbrick18

Quote from: JMohan on June 27, 2009, 05:39:58 PM
Well it's just an elite organisation for IC players ... including ex Na Fianna members

I agree 100%.
I've no time for the GPA....and I dont agree with the grants. I think Dessie & Cavanagh and Co are out for themselves more than anything else, trying to get themselves more recognition and more cash.
Mark Conway from Tyrone (One True Voice I think...) can put it better than me, but IMHO I think the GPA are the single biggest threat to the GAA.....more so than Soccer or Rugby.

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on June 27, 2009, 09:18:46 AM
I would argue that 95% of the actual inter county players in the country don't give a damn about the GPA
I'm not a fan of Farrell, or any of this crap, but are the vast majority of intercounty players not members of the GPA? Their website says they have "inter-county membership of nearly 1900 players" - that's close to 100%.

Anyway, if the GAA players disagree with the actions of the GPA, they should maybe be a bit more vocal about it - vote with their feet, or at least oust Farrell, who appears to be making noise just to try and justify his job.

Bud Wiser

QuoteThe players are generally better looked after now because the GPA came into existence. the majority of county boards still don't meet their agreed welfare charter though.

The players are generally better looked after now because the GPA came into existance?    Correct. But when the different issues were addressed ye should have left it at that and gone away again.

The majority of county boards still don't meet their agreed welfare charter though?   Incorrect, unless you can name the majority of county boards and their failures.  The majority of County Boards are made up of members from remote clubs who haven't got a pot to piss in.  The majority of clubs have got less than 50% paid up membership because the majority of their members are players and the persuance of membership is not always an option. They make revenue from bar income and fundraising through the Lotto draws.  If, as you say players welfare is not looked after for GPA members that you represent then how do you think the GPA players welfare compares with that of the back of the woods Sligo or Roscommon Club hurling player who is giving it his all in the tradition of the GAA.

If the GPA were an association that were wanted in the GAA they would have a large number of Associate membership and not just selected players.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 28, 2009, 02:24:13 AM
I would argue that 95% of the actual inter county players in the country don't give a damn about the GPA
I'm not a fan of Farrell, or any of this crap, but are the vast majority of intercounty players not members of the GPA? Their website says they have "inter-county membership of nearly 1900 players" - that's close to 100%.

Anyway, if the GAA players disagree with the actions of the GPA, they should maybe be a bit more vocal about it - vote with their feet, or at least oust Farrell, who appears to be making noise just to try and justify his job.

I agree with that, I donn't buy "they're not interested" crap.  If they're not interested then come out and say it. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 28, 2009, 02:24:13 AM

As far as I know it's an automatic membership thing...

What happened at the start was that they asked for members to sign up - a load did, some didn't etc...
Then they asked for a small fee - the numbers fell like a stone
The next thing was that a few years ago they realised they had very few actual real signed up members
I know this as when one organisation went to help them and to get phone numbers for their members they couldn't give them any!
So then they scrapped the joining fee and just said once you are on a panel you're automatcially a member

Hence 1900 so called 'members' ...

But I'm open to correction

AZOffaly

Not sure if that's 100% correct JMohan. I know the Cork 2009 hurlers were not 'invited' to join the GPA. I know there were a few quid (literally) subs a couple of years ago.