Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

Looks like a strong Tyrone team for Sunday .Should be a good match up between the Bradleys and the Tyrone full back line .Will Dooher be required to close out the game ?.

southderryman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 19, 2009, 09:36:01 PM
Lockhart returns to face Tyrone

GAA team news: Seán Marty Lockhart returns to the Derry starting line-up for Sunday¿s Ulster football semi-final against Tyrone. Lockhart¿s inclusion, in place of Kevin McCloy, is one of three personnel changes made by manager Damien Cassidy for the clash at Casement Park.

Mark Lynch comes into the full forward line for James Kielt, who suffered a broken jaw during a recent club game, while Barry McGoldrick moves from the half back line into midfield to cover for the suspended Fergal Doherty.

Barry McGuigan will move back to replace McGoldrick in defence with Eoghan Brown drafted into the half forward line.

The fall-out from the club match in which Kielt had his jaw broken continues in the Oak Leaf county with Ballinderry, the current champions, banned from the league this season.

Ballinderry¿s James Conway, already dropped from the county panel by Cassidy, was hit with a two month ban for his part in the incident while club chairman Camillus Quinn has been suspended for six months.

Derry(SFC v Tyrone): B Gillis, K McGuckin, SM Lockhart, G O¿Kane; C McKaigue, B McGuigan, SL McGoldrick; B McGoldrick, J Diver; E Brown, P Murphy, E Lynn; E Bradley, P Bradley, M Lynch

(www.ireland.com)

would be very surprised if that was the actual team that lined out. i had heard that mccloy wouldnt play, however i doubt very much mcgoldrick will play midfield, cassidy wont want to move him from CHB.

there could well be 3 or 4 changes before throw in on sunday. enda lynn is still very doubtful with a bad back, and i'd be amazed if eoghan brown actually started.

i can see mcgoldrick playing CHB, mc guigan and lynch moving to the half forward line with murphy dropping into midfield. alternatively mcguigan could play half back with either mc kaigue or sean leo moving into half forward.

if paul cartin is fit he could feature in half back at the expense of brown (who i think should be behind seamus bradley in the pecking order anyway) with one of mcguigan/mckaigue/sean leo moving forward. there's a bit of versatility there and plenty of work rate from those palyers, which will badly needed on sunday.

the big difference i think will be the men coming of the bench, derry have limited options, tyrone have plenty. if we can win or fair share of the breaks and limit the ball into o'neill and co, whilst hitting the bradleys early, we have a chance. but if tyrone catch fire we could really struggle. disappointed in the choice of ref for sunday, he certainly wont help things, far too fussy.

heart says derry by 2, head says tyrone by 5 or 6  :( fcuk i hope im wrong.

interesting to hear about ballinderry, we havent heard the last of it, thats for sure.

orangeman

Quote from: southderryman on June 19, 2009, 10:50:34 PM

GAA team news: Seán Marty Lockhart returns to the Derry starting line-up for Sunday¿s Ulster football semi-final against Tyrone. Lockhart¿s inclusion, in place of Kevin McCloy, is one of three personnel changes made by manager Damien Cassidy for the clash at Casement Park.

Mark Lynch comes into the full forward line for James Kielt, who suffered a broken jaw during a recent club game, while Barry McGoldrick moves from the half back line into midfield to cover for the suspended Fergal Doherty.

Barry McGuigan will move back to replace McGoldrick in defence with Eoghan Brown drafted into the half forward line.

The fall-out from the club match in which Kielt had his jaw broken continues in the Oak Leaf county with Ballinderry, the current champions, banned from the league this season.

Ballinderry¿s James Conway, already dropped from the county panel by Cassidy, was hit with a two month ban for his part in the incident while club chairman Camillus Quinn has been suspended for six months.

Derry(SFC v Tyrone): B Gillis, K McGuckin, SM Lockhart, G O¿Kane; C McKaigue, B McGuigan, SL McGoldrick; B McGoldrick, J Diver; E Brown, P Murphy, E Lynn; E Bradley, P Bradley, M Lynch

(www.ireland.com)

would be very surprised if that was the actual team that lined out. i had heard that mccloy wouldnt play, however i doubt very much mcgoldrick will play midfield, cassidy wont want to move him from CHB.

there could well be 3 or 4 changes before throw in on sunday. enda lynn is still very doubtful with a bad back, and i'd be amazed if eoghan brown actually started.

i can see mcgoldrick playing CHB, mc guigan and lynch moving to the half forward line with murphy dropping into midfield. alternatively mcguigan could play half back with either mc kaigue or sean leo moving into half forward.

if paul cartin is fit he could feature in half back at the expense of brown (who i think should be behind seamus bradley in the pecking order anyway) with one of mcguigan/mckaigue/sean leo moving forward. there's a bit of versatility there and plenty of work rate from those palyers, which will badly needed on sunday.

the big difference i think will be the men coming of the bench, derry have limited options, tyrone have plenty. if we can win or fair share of the breaks and limit the ball into o'neill and co, whilst hitting the bradleys early, we have a chance. but if tyrone catch fire we could really struggle. disappointed in the choice of ref for sunday, he certainly wont help things, far too fussy.

interesting to hear about ballinderry, we havent heard the last of it, thats for sure.
[/b]

You can say that again. Shafted again.

southderryman

Quote from: orangeman on June 19, 2009, 10:57:55 PM

(www.ireland.com)

[/b]

in all honesty, a month ban for conway would have sufficed. i have no love for ballinderry, but the rest is a joke. the derry county board love to make an arse of themselves and air all dirty wahing in public, it seems they never learn

orangeman

Quote from: southderryman on June 19, 2009, 11:02:13 PM

(www.ireland.com)

[/b]

in all honesty, a month ban for conway would have sufficed. i have no love for ballinderry, but the rest is a joke. the derry county board love to make an arse of themselves and air all dirty wahing in public, it seems they never learn

ARSE is being polite.

Carmen Stateside

Why would they release this stuff about Ballinderry suspensions before the game Sunday??
Ballinderry is bound to be fed up with all this shit aswell!

orangeman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on June 19, 2009, 11:25:42 PM
Why would they release this stuff about Ballinderry suspensions before the game Sunday??
Ballinderry is bound to be fed up with all this shit aswell!

Derry CB are very good - excellent timing.

southderryman

Quote from: orangeman on June 19, 2009, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: southderryman on June 19, 2009, 11:02:13 PM

(www.ireland.com)

[/b]

ARSE is being polite.

i have no time for the county board whatsoever, no matter what it is, they managed to make a c*nt of it.

are you a ballinderry man? serious question btw, you seem quite annoyed! (i always thought you were a tyrone man, but lets not open that can of worms as far as ballinderry is concerned)

AFS

Don't think Derry will be much of an improvement on Armagh, so I expect Tyrone to get through with similar ease. Tyrone by 3 or 4 playing in 3rd gear, maybe more if they take the notion.

DennistheMenace

Suprised if Tyrone don't beat a depleted and torn Derry team by 4/5 points.

RedandGreenSniper

Shit or get off the pot time for Derry. Tyrone won't mind losing as much. Derry by 3.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Fear ón Srath Bán

From today's Irish Times:

The ultimate test of Cassidy's rebuilding of Derry
SEÁN MORAN

ULSTER SFC SEMI-FINAL: Derry v Tyrone: DAMIAN CASSIDY'S patient rebuilding of Derry's football style was rewarded during the league when a good range of players got runs on the team, which still managed to take its title defence all the way to the final.

But tomorrow's Ulster football semi-final is what the manager had in mind, the ultimate test.

This is partly because of Tyrone's status as All-Ireland champions but also because Cassidy wanted to apply some of the same principles. An admirer of tomorrow's opponents' sheer adaptability, he wanted his team to have the interchangeability that fosters competition for places and leaves the side better served when the team loses players.

The latter consideration appears quite prophetic this weekend. The suspension of Fergal Doherty is particularly haunting because Cassidy was determined that the team should be able to respond better to the loss of key players having observed how badly affected Derry were 12 months ago by the absence of the centrefielder, who was banned for last year's defeat by Fermanagh.

For once Tyrone are in a different position. Most of the county's injuries have cleared up and, after a brief scare, team captain Brian Dooher is on the bench, ready to make an entrance.

Three years ago Derry defeated Tyrone, also then defending the All-Ireland, in their first match of the championship. It was achieved by out-harassing their opponents and a similar work-rate will be in evidence tomorrow. But at that stage Tyrone were not as settled as they are now.

The defeat of Armagh confirmed their ability to take vital scores at the right time in important matches. But the key factor has to be Derry: at full strength they would have a good chance of causing an upset but the number of absentees limits Cassidy's options.

TYRONE : J Devine; PJ Quinn, Justin McMahon, R McMenamin; D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan; K Hughes, E McGinley; M Penrose, T McGuigan, Joe McMahon; S O'Neill, S Cavanagh, O Mulligan.

DERRY : B Gillis; K McGuckin, SM Lockhart, G O'Kane; C McKaigue, B McGuigan, SL McGoldrick; B McGoldrick, J Diver; E Brown, P Murphy, E Lynn; E Bradley, P Bradley, M Lynch.

Referee : Gearóid Ó Conámha (Galway).

In the last episode:
Back in 2006 Derry surprised Tyrone in an ugly encounter in which Mickey Harte's men failed to score at all in the first half. Forward Enda Muldoon, one of Derry's missing injured tomorrow, scored 1-3 in a 1-8 to 0-5 victory.

You bet: Tyrone are clear favourites with the bookies at 8 to 15 with Derry at 21 to 10. The draw is tight enough at 7 to 1. (Boylesports).

On your marks: Although James Kielt is out injured, the full forward line is still central to Derry's prospects.

The Bradley brothers, Paddy and Eoin, who have at times struggled to dovetail in attack, will have to perform if the team is to reach the provincial final. As well as the need to score, there is also the requirement to prevent Tyrone working the ball out from deep, as Justin McMahon managed to do so effectively against Armagh.

Gaining ground:
Casement Park was the venue for a replay between the counties six years ago at the start of Tyrone's first All-Ireland-winning season. Having laboured to a low-scoring draw in Clones, Mickey Harte's team opened up with a nine-point win in Belfast on the second day.

Just the ticket: The stand is ticketed at €25 or £20 but general admission will be taken on the gate, although early arrival is advised. Terraces cost €15 or £13.

Crystal gazing: League form isn't always a great indicator for the championship but last March's encounter pointed up the contrasting composure of the teams when, having missed a late free to give them a potentially decisive lead, Derry fell away and Tyrone pounced with a barrage of three points.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

A repeat of the last time these two teams met in Casement would do nicely.

Interesting reading all the papers with how highly everyone rates Cassidy's tactical brain.

I can see a very intense battle of high workrate around the middle third & it could come down to how well the Bradleys are managed & likewise Tyrone FF line.

tbrick18

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 20, 2009, 02:58:29 PM
A repeat of the last time these two teams met in Casement would do nicely.

Interesting reading all the papers with how highly everyone rates Cassidy's tactical brain.

I can see a very intense battle of high workrate around the middle third & it could come down to how well the Bradleys are managed & likewise Tyrone FF line.

It will come down more to how Derry weakest line in the half forwards cope with Tyrone's stronges in the half backs.

omagh_gael

according to RTE sport the Derry county board have banned all Ballinderry adult teams for rest of the year as well as 2 month suspension for Conway and 6 months for the chairman!! What reprecussions will this have for morale in the Derry camp?