ROSCOMMON v GALWAY, CONNACHT SFC

Started by Shrewdness, May 11, 2012, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: ross matt on May 14, 2012, 08:49:28 PM
Conroy finished the league as an effective target man and when fit and confident he is well able to take his scores. Bergin who can blow hot and cold seems to be also on a good run of form and this could swing midfield Galway's way. I think Armstrong will start and he can do damage if he gets room. Doubt Meehan will start but wouldnt be surpised to see PJ with  first 15 number on him and we all know what he can do. Galway wont be short of forward options. They never are. Mulholland was always going to revive their fortunes and in fairness they should never have fallen back as far as they did with the talent they had.

Seems to me that Ros fans are doing their best to build up Galway and present themselves as underdogs. Why they need to do this I don t know but I suspect they expect to win and so do I expect Ros to win this with home advantage and all.

Have seen little enough of Mulholland s Galway and I might get an eye opener on Sunday. And we have yet to see the Galway team sheet but.... I m still seeing the same names mentioned that were there with last 3/4 managers ( Conroys, Sices, Bergins, Armstrongs etc) so Mulholland will have had to reinvent these guys.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on May 14, 2012, 10:39:34 PM
Conroy finished the league as an effective target man and when fit and confident he is well able to take his scores. Bergin who can blow hot and cold seems to be also on a good run of form and this could swing midfield Galway's way. I think Armstrong will start and he can do damage if he gets room. Doubt Meehan will start but wouldnt be surpised to see PJ with  first 15 number on him and we all know what he can do. Galway wont be short of forward options. They never are. Mulholland was always going to revive their fortunes and in fairness they should never have fallen back as far as they did with the talent they had.

Seems to me that Ros fans are doing their best to build up Galway and present themselves as underdogs. Why they need to do this I don t know but I suspect they expect to win and so do I expect Ros to win this with home advantage and all.

Have seen little enough of Mulholland s Galway and I might get an eye opener on Sunday. And we have yet to see the Galway team sheet but.... I m still seeing the same names mentioned that were there with last 3/4 managers ( Conroys, Sices, Bergins, Armstrongs etc) so Mulholland will have had to reinvent these guys.
On the other hand didn't Maughan turn a shower of never- won- much Mayo fuballers into damn near all-Ireland winners in 96 ? 

Syferus

I think we're being refreshingly honest and saying we have a serious shot at winning. The need to play the poor mouth is gone.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2012, 10:42:02 PM

On the other hand didn't Maughan turn a shower of never- won- much Mayo fuballers into damn near all-Ireland winners in 96 ?

Er.. No. Likes of Noel Connelly or James Horan never played before. Others were just out of U21 and Fallon was nearly 30 but a rookie by inter-county standard. Now if only Maughan rated likes of Kevin O Neill, Gary Ruane and Peter Butler we might have won something!
Mayo have been able to make an odd surge like this from nowhere - when we get organised, which hasn t been very often. Like last year. We also go through a big turnover of players. Possibly the reason why I m surprised about players that hang about in some other counties.

ross4life

We are underdogs doesn't matter what way you present it. I just hope Galway are as bad as they were when i seen them v Mayo last June but i some how don't think so..They have plenty of talent available best in Connacht IMO but have been fooling around with management for the last decade. Mulholland seems the right man to steady the ship he knows Galway football better than most & if playing at home is such advantage then why are we waiting longer to beat Galway at home than away?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on May 14, 2012, 11:15:44 PM

We are underdogs doesn't matter what way you present it. I just hope Galway are as bad as they were when i seen them v Mayo last June but i some how don't think so..They have plenty of talent available best in Connacht IMO but have been fooling around with management for the last decade. Mulholland seems the right man to steady the ship he knows Galway football better than most & if playing at home is such advantage then why are we waiting longer to beat Galway at home than away?

No they don t have plenty of talent available. Ok, few counties do.  If they did they they wouldn t be recycling some of these guys, indulging Nicky for years and still looking to PJ and a barely fit Michael Meehan to contribute in May ( they could be a huge boost in a couple of months though when up to speed).
They haven t fooled around with management either. Since Johnno they ve chosen really wisely if anything ( Johnno stayed around too long, and I believe that was critical when football hit a change in gradient around 02/03 and Galway did not go with the the surge. But then again he has a habit of doin that but let s not go there again) - the fact that it hasn t worked out is more a reflection of the players than management. They didn t gel with the practical Forde and Kernan approach and Sammon s trad. approach wasn t a success either. None of those managers are fools but the players remain the same.

But hey! Don t mind me. I m here on a laptop and I d prefer to be talkin football, that s all.

Syferus

The most interesting aspect on Sunday will be the subs and when they're brought on. Cathal Shine has to be the midfield option off the bench now and if things aren't working in the middle I'd be very excited to see him get his debut at senior. Kevin Higgins has shown he's capable of coming on and causing lot of damage when the opponents' legs tire and Connor Devanney will probably be the odd man out in the full forwards and desperately unlucky at that. We have quality subs at every line on the field now and hopefully Newton will have seen how we've tired in games like Cork and Tyrone and pre-empt that by clearing the bench with plenty of time on the clock, no matter the score.

What will Galway's bench look like? Potentially PJ and Meehan, buy who else will Galway be calling on if things go sour?

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2012, 12:20:06 AM
The most interesting aspect on Sunday will be the subs and when they're brought on. Cathal Shine has to be the midfield option off the bench now and if things aren't working in the middle I'd be very excited to see him get debut at senior. Kevin Higgins has shown he's capable of coming on and causing lot of damage when the opponents' legs tire and Connor Devanney will probably be the odd man out in the full forwards and desperately unlucky at that. We have quality subs at every line on the field now and hopefully Newton will be see how we've tired in games like Cork and Tyrone and pre-empt that by clearing the bench with plenty of time on the clock, no matter the score.

What will Galway's bench look like? Potentially PJ and Meehan, buy who else will Galway be calling on if things go sour?

Now that s what I m talking about.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on May 15, 2012, 12:09:19 AM

No they don t have plenty of talent available. Ok, few counties do.  If they did they they wouldn t be recycling some of these guys, indulging Nicky for years and still looking to PJ and a barely fit Michael Meehan to contribute in May ( they could be a huge boost in a couple of months though when up to speed).
They haven t fooled around with management either. Since Johnno they ve chosen really wisely if anything ( Johnno stayed around too long, and I believe that was critical when football hit a change in gradient around 02/03 and Galway did not go with the the surge. But then again he has a habit of doin that but let s not go there again) - the fact that it hasn t worked out is more a reflection of the players than management. They didn t gel with the practical Forde and Kernan approach and Sammon s trad. approach wasn t a success either. None of those managers are fools but the players remain the same.

But hey! Don t mind me. I m here on a laptop and I d prefer to be talkin football, that s all.
PJ and Michael Meehan are two top talents i think everyone can understand why they are still part of Galway's plans.

13 from the under 21 All-Ireland winning squad from last year and 6 who won the minor title back in 2007 that's plenty of talent in my book. Three managers in as many years how can you find stability with type of carry on? 
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on May 15, 2012, 12:37:02 AM

PJ and Michael Meehan are two top talents i think everyone can understand why they are still part of Galway's plans.

13 from the under 21 All-Ireland winning squad from last year and 6 who won the minor title back in 2007 that's plenty of talent in my book. Three managers in as many years how can you find stability with type of carry on?

I or anybody else would have Joyce and Meehan aboard. No question about that. But is there a full game between them next Sunday? As regards the management merry-go- round? That was down to lack of success that the county expected. Those players may well do better for Mulholland but I m sure you re hoping they wont next Sunday. I have my doubt s they will but if they do then I ll have no problem saying I got it wrong. I wouldn t put much emphasis on underage stuff, but that s just me.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2012, 12:20:06 AM

Well here's the entire panel.

1 Adrian Faherty
2 Colin Forde
3 Conor Doherty
4 Cormac Bane
5 Damien Burke
6 Danny Cummins
7 Diarmaid Blake
8 Finian Hanley
9 Fiontán O'Curraoin
10 Gareth Bradshaw
11 Gary O'Donnell
12 Gary Sice
13 Gary Sweeney
14 Greg Higgins
15 Joe Bergin
16 Johnny Duane
17 Joss Moore
18 Keith Kelly
19 Kieran McGrath
20 Manus Breathnach
21 Mark Hehir
22 Michael Boyle
23 Michael Martin
24 Michael Meehan
25 Niall Coleman
26 Padraig Joyce
27 Paul Conroy
28 Peadar O'Griofa
29 Sean Armstrong
30 Thomas Flynn
31 Tomas Fahy

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on May 15, 2012, 01:29:32 AM
Quote from: ross4life on May 15, 2012, 12:37:02 AM

I or anybody else would have Joyce and Meehan aboard. No question about that. But is there a full game between them next Sunday? As regards the management merry-go- round? That was down to lack of success that the county expected. Those players may well do better for Mulholland but I m sure you re hoping they wont next Sunday. I have my doubt s they will but if they do then I ll have no problem saying I got it wrong. I wouldn t put much emphasis on underage stuff, but that s just me.

I don't think there will be a full game between them but 35+mins could be enough push Galway over the line. You can't keep changing managers to find success. I see plenty of potential in both sides to maximize that potential comes down to good management one that's given a chance to prove itself.

ross matt

My post that you quoted was'nt trying to do that Moysider.... it was just in response to one of the Galway posts about their lack of scoring options. I agree with you in that I think Ross will win this one but it would hardly be  a shock if we didnt as it's likely to be  close affair. You're correct about Galway having alot of the same names for the last few years but if anyone can reinvent them Mulholland can.

magpie seanie

I genuinely see this as a 50-50 game. It could be a good one. Just looking at the Galway subs - if the likes of Meehan and PJ are in good enough nick to make an impact near the end that could be the difference.

From a Sligo perspective - we're away to the winners so it'll be a tall order either way.

Syferus