Live NI Politics TV Debate

Started by Gold, May 04, 2010, 09:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddgnhand

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2010, 10:50:53 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2010, 10:29:23 PM
Ritchie was a strange choice for leader - no doubt McDonnell would fare better in such debates. Having said that, I don't think she did anything wrong tonight.

I don't think there were any real winners or losers tonight, although Reg probably had the roughest ride.

What Ritchie needs is a good shag. Anyone prepared to give her one for the team?

Peter is your man. With Iris away getting treatment he must be feeling lonely.

Hardy

Quote from: Puckoon on May 04, 2010, 10:53:49 PM
Where is she in comparison to the real rugby woman who streaked?

That was more of a smudge than a streak.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2010, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on May 04, 2010, 10:33:23 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2010, 10:29:23 PM
Ritchie was a strange choice for leader - no doubt McDonnell would fare better in such debates. Having said that, I don't think she did anything wrong tonight. I don't think there were any real winners or losers tonight, although Reg probably had the roughest ride.

For a start she claimed Maskey had retired from Politics. Maskey must have been suprised to learn this from the leader of the SDLP
Ah come on - that was very clearly tongue in cheek!

Pretty pointless statement given he is a serving MLA and stood aside in SB to benefit those he represents and the SDLP.
Attempting to interupt Adams during his final comment was petty IMO
The Boys in Red and Black are back

ONeill

She was way out of order at the end. I've never seen any summation interrupted like that here or across the water. Classless.

The Maskey quote was tongue in cheek and it's quite clear the SDLP don't give a hoot about the SF vote in S Belfast going by that. Although others will argue that it might stand to SF in the long run but i think it was a mistake pulling out of S Belfast. Must be very hard for any SF voter to put an X beside thon other boyo given their soundbites since the decision. Will their gesture encourage floating SDLP/SF voters in S Tyrone to give Michelle their vote?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Pangurban

Five more minutes of listening to Ritchie, and i would be voting TUV

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Pangurban on May 05, 2010, 12:01:35 AM
Five more minutes of listening to Ritchie, and i would be voting TUV
x2. Miss Truncbull is hard to take alright!

thegael

Only one real leader there - Gerry Adams by a country mile.
The leader of the pro unionist , pro brit army, sdlp is a joke and how any electorate could take that party serious is beyond me.
Hopefully the party of change and equality can get the vote out in south down and a 32 county party takes the winning vote and Caitriona is that representative.

Mario

The more NI politics becomes normal, the more I think about the following,

Who do you vote for in NI if you are a nationalist who has ring wing views?

Agreed with the comments about Ritchie she is terrible, can't answer any question which she doesnt have a rehearsed answer for.

Gerry definitely had the most charisma of the 4, would be worried about the lack of effort Sinn Fein put into discussing the economy, i also think the time has come for Sinn Fein to sit in westminister.

thegael

Not a snowball's chance in hell of Sinn Fein sitting in Westminster.

Hardy

Can any of you more astute political observers explain to a bemused onlooker the logic, moral basis or political purpose of SF's abstentionist policy in the post-peace process world?  They're happy to administer British rule in Ireland but unwilling to represent Irish people in the British parliament, arguably the more important assembly in the effect it has on the lives of those who voted for them.

thegael

The pro union sdlp continued use of the term northern ireland was nauseating , any right minded nationalist would use the term north of ireland and basically we see the post nationalist sdlp at play - they are pro union and should just come clean about it .
We must get the vote out and ensure we elect republicans in south down and fermanagh south tyrone .Sinn Fein is the only republican party in this election , the rest are pro union.!

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on May 05, 2010, 09:37:29 AM
Can any of you more astute political observers explain to a bemused onlooker the logic, moral basis or political purpose of SF's abstentionist policy in the post-peace process world?  They're happy to administer British rule in Ireland but unwilling to represent Irish people in the British parliament, arguably the more important assembly in the effect it has on the lives of those who voted for them.

Hardy, if may have escaped you but SF are elected on an abstentionist ticket i.e. they are elected not to go so why would they go?

Re. the puerile 'administering British rule' point: they are representing their constituents in an Assembly constituted by an all-Ireland referendum, containing significant all-Ireland input, as well as the obvious British input. Therefore the Assembly has a legitimacy in Ireland which the Brit parliament lacks.

Also, how do you figure that the British parliament has more effect on the lives of the people of the north? Do you know what proportion of legislation affecting the north originates in Westminster?

Bensars

Quote"Also, how do you figure that the British parliament has more effect on the lives of the people of the north? Do you know what proportion of legislation affecting the north originates in Westminster?"

Idealistic bullsh*t.

For those queueing up for,

Unemployment benefit
Job seekers allowance
DLA
Child benefits
Disability benefits
Television License
Council Tax Benefit
Housing Benefit
Funeral Payments
Bereavement benefits
War Widow's
Widower's Pension
Maternity allowance
Statutory maternity pay
Statutory sick pay
Pensions
Cold weather payments
Carers allowance

Certainly isnt coming from Dublin.

Irrespective of the romantic notion you may have Ulick, westminister has a much much more significant impact on the lifes of the people in the six counties than Dublin. 

Hardy

Thanks for answering Ulick. Forgive me. It's probably unworthy, but I get a laugh from the discomfort the line about administering British rule provokes and from wondering what the form of words to explain it will be. So you're right - it is a bit puerile in that it's done in a spirit of mischievous stick poking. I was hoping for a response from Nally Stand. Maybe yet.

On your serious question - I haven't calculated the relative proportions of relevant legislation originating from the separate parliaments. I just think most people would reason that the major economic policy and spending decisions are the ones that affect people's lives the most.

Ulick

Quote from: Bensars on May 05, 2010, 10:29:01 AM
Quote"Also, how do you figure that the British parliament has more effect on the lives of the people of the north? Do you know what proportion of legislation affecting the north originates in Westminster?"

Irrespective of the romantic notion you may have Ulick, westminister has a much much more significant impact on the lifes of the people in the six counties than Dublin.

Okay then Bensars, how much legislation originates in Westminster?