U17 Football Championship

Started by Itchy, May 04, 2017, 09:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Final on June 11th before cavan v Monaghan/Fermanagh ulster championship quarter final. Unfair on Tyrone.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Itchy on May 13, 2017, 04:19:45 PM
Final on June 11th before cavan v Monaghan/Fermanagh ulster championship quarter final. Unfair on Tyrone.

Don't think they'll mind too much. Hasn't been too many at the games to date and will be great for the lads to play on a big championship day in front of a good crowd. With no minors next year it's good the players on the last year will get to experience it.

Samforever

Why is unfair on Tyrone ?

Itchy

Quote from: Samforever on May 13, 2017, 08:54:55 PM

Why is unfair on Tyrone ?

There will be a big Cavan support as they playing in the senior game plus very likely game will be in Breffni park.

Itchy

Does anyone know is the format the same as minor as in two provincial finalists make the quarter finals of the all Ireland series?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Itchy on May 15, 2017, 09:59:08 PM
Does anyone know is the format the same as minor as in two provincial finalists make the quarter finals of the all Ireland series?

I think it's being run on a straight knockout basis with champs straight through to semi finals.

Westside

Yeah looks like it's the straight knockout format. It's disappointing for this year's group. There's no coverage at all, even Hoganstand don't even have any sort of match report.

The Ulster Finalists will play on 11th June and then won't be out in the All Ireland Semi Final until 5th of August!

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on May 15, 2017, 10:49:12 PM
Yeah looks like it's the straight knockout format. It's disappointing for this year's group. There's no coverage at all, even Hoganstand don't even have any sort of match report.

The Ulster Finalists will play on 11th June and then won't be out in the All Ireland Semi Final until 5th of August!

That's crazy!

Cunny Funt

Yes the AI series is semi finals played on August bank holiday weekend. Connacht v Munster and Ulster v Leinster. AI final to be played August 20th

Rossfan

Kerry bet Cork last night in a game marred by "ugly incidents" and me melees.
I didn't  think the purists would be at that sort of thing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Mayo Sligo game at 11.45. With all due respect, there won't be much of a crowd at that time. Why that early?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

In case of extra time I presume and to make sure all is ready for the 2 pm TV live showing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2017, 11:03:27 AM
In case of extra time I presume and to make sure all is ready for the 2 pm TV live showing.
And this nonsense if level after extra time

It is on a pilot basis but the Special U17 Football and Hurling Competitions in 2017 and the new U20 Football Championship in 2018 will require to finish 'on the day'. 

If teams still can't be separated after two periods of extra time, it moves to the free-taking competition with five nominated free-takers, chosen from those who have played at some stage in the previous 100 minutes, taking shots from the 65-metre line. 

For the football competitions, frees will be taken from the 45-metre line.  If the teams are still deadlocked after five shots it moves to 'sudden death' until there is a winner. 

The first sudden death free is taken by the player who took the first free, and the sudden death element will continue until such time as there is a definite outcome.

There isn't the same level of drama attached to a penalty shootout because it all hinges on one player - the freetaker. Frees will be taken for points only, with no goalkeeper or defenders facing the free- takers, but the GAA missed a trick there. 

If the goalkeeper was in play, and the free was going a foot or two over the crossbar, stopping the point - which many go alkeepers are well capable off - would have added to the sense of excitement

blanketattack

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2017, 09:53:23 AM

4 yellow cards, a black card and a red card for Cork, none for Kerry but don't let the facts get in your way.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blanketattack on May 18, 2017, 07:03:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2017, 09:53:23 AM

4 yellow cards, a black card and a red card for Cork, none for Kerry but don't let the facts get in your way.

What are the facts?