Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I don't know about this thread title "the battle for ulster's heart". Monaghan have already won that one. Even though most GAA afcionados are predicting a Tyrone victory, mostly their prediction is prefaced by a "I'd really love Monaghan to win but...."

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on August 10, 2018, 04:57:05 PM
I don't know about this thread title "the battle for ulster's heart". Monaghan have already won that one. Even though most GAA afcionados are predicting a Tyrone victory, mostly their prediction is prefaced by a "I'd really love Monaghan to win but...."

Congratulations. I'm sure this will be of great comfort on the way home.
That was never a square ball!!

Jayop

Being liked by Armagh and Derry wans is the real All Ireland.

lenny

Quote from: Jayop on August 10, 2018, 05:19:32 PM

Being liked by even one other county would be a good start for youse.

Jayop

Quote from: lenny on August 10, 2018, 05:36:09 PM

Why would that be a good start? Losers are liked, winners are not. Simple as that. In the naughties that Tyrone team got dogs abuse from everyone, now looking back they get huge credit. That's what happens when you're successful. Something you'd have very limited experience with.

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on August 10, 2018, 05:51:39 PM

Why would that be a good start? Losers are liked, winners are not. Simple as that. In the naughties that Tyrone team got dogs abuse from everyone, now looking back they get huge credit. That's what happens when you're successful. Something you'd have very limited experience with.

Exactly. Everyone wanted to Dublin to win in 2011. Everyone. Now nobody can stand the sight of them winning an all Ireland. People love an underdog, and if that means they don't want Tyrone to win then so be it. I won't lose sleep over it.

lenny

Quote from: Jayop on August 10, 2018, 05:51:39 PM

Correct that tyrone got dogs abuse but incorrect that winners are not liked. Dublin are winners at the moment and play an exciting brand of football so many people from other counties love watching them and don't begrudge their success. Kerry were also great champions and great to watch. When Derry, Down and Donegal were successful in the early 90s there was no begrudgery and they brought nothing but credit to Ulster. Galway were great champions in 98 and 01 and i never heard a negative word about them.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: lenny on August 10, 2018, 06:18:35 PM
Correct that tyrone got dogs abuse but incorrect that winners are not liked. Dublin are winners at the moment and play an exciting brand of football so many people from other counties love watching them and don't begrudge their success. Kerry were also great champions and great to watch. When Derry, Down and Donegal were successful in the early 90s there was no begrudgery and they brought nothing but credit to Ulster. Galway were great champions in 98 and 01 and i never heard a negative word about them.

You should get out more, meaning you should get around the country more, you really should. I've rarely read such a piece of blinkered parochial pollyanna nonsense in all my life, but each to his own. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omaghjoe

You should take a trip through Monaghan when we're in any other semi

omaghjoe

The Armagh opposition to Tyrone I can understand I think that its roughly at an equal level although probably more lobsided these days since Armagh are so shite

But the Derry hatred of Tyrone is ridiculous. Never heard a good Derry word about Tyrone... ever... not even in the 90s, this didnt start in 03 or even 95 its there as long as I remember, so Lenny harping on about Mickey Harte and puke football is nonsense, they hated us with equal enthusiasm when we were naive, light and skillful and took kicking from gulpins. Indeed they openly rejoiced in '96

I'm guessing the root cause is that anti Tyrone gene has now been interbred so thoroughly in their populace that its influence on the psyche has exploded exponentially.

RedHand88

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 10, 2018, 07:05:42 PM

You should take a trip through Monaghan when we're in any other semi

Indeed the monaghan county board hosted Tyrone in Emyvale on their way home in 08! Maybe even 03 or 05.

lenny

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 10, 2018, 07:14:30 PM
The Armagh opposition to Tyrone I can understand I think that its roughly at an equal level although probably more lobsided these days since Armagh are so shite

But the Derry hatred of Tyrone is ridiculous. Never heard a good Derry word about Tyrone... ever... not even in the 90s, this didnt start in 03 or even 95 its there as long as I remember, so Lenny harping on about Mickey Harte and puke football is nonsense, they hated us with equal enthusiasm when we were naive, light and skillful and took kicking from gulpins. Indeed they openly rejoiced in '96

I'm guessing the root cause is that anti Tyrone gene has now been interbred so thoroughly in their populace that its influence on the psyche has exploded exponentially.

I was at the 95 and 86 finals supporting Tyrone as were many Derry people. I don't dislike Tyrone, just Harte's cynical cheating version of Tyrone. Just a pity Eugene Mckenna didn't get another year in 03 because I'm certain he'd have won Sam also.

Therealdonald

Quote from: lenny on August 10, 2018, 07:51:51 PM

I was at the 95 and 86 finals supporting Tyrone as were many Derry people. I don't dislike Tyrone, just Harte's cynical cheating version of Tyrone. Just a pity Eugene Mckenna didn't get another year in 03 because I'm certain he'd have won Sam also.

Lenny cut the crap. The only Derry people who supported Tyrone were the Ballinderry men who supported Tyrone and not Derry like Big Enda in 95 wearing his Tyrone top after the minor final. As for the rest of ye, uz hated us.

omaghjoe

:D :D :D :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

And by sheer astronomical coincidence, Harte was the first manager we had who allowed us to get our grubby mitts on Sam, but no, you preferred the plucky little neighbour, who was always close, but never quite close enough.

And sorry, don't buy your Eugene-as-an-all-Ireland-winner-would-be-all-sweetness-and-light!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...