The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2019, 10:03:43 AM
Okay let's step aside on Brolly for a while. He has a cult following of people who tune in just to get angry at what he says. So RTE would be mad to ship him out.

But can anyone please tell me how it is that Ciaran Whelan has an AI match day seat in the RTE panel. He provides zero insight. He is a weak orator. He is unable to grasp or explain tactical battles.

He is always awful and yesterday was somehow a rung down again. RTE would have been as well dragging the first man out of Meaghers wearing a Dublin kit with six pints swilling around inside him.

Whelan is probably the most knowledgeable pundits for the tactical stuff of RTE pundits along with Tomas O'Se and McStay.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Gael85 on September 04, 2019, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2019, 10:03:43 AM
Okay let's step aside on Brolly for a while. He has a cult following of people who tune in just to get angry at what he says. So RTE would be mad to ship him out.

But can anyone please tell me how it is that Ciaran Whelan has an AI match day seat in the RTE panel. He provides zero insight. He is a weak orator. He is unable to grasp or explain tactical battles.

He is always awful and yesterday was somehow a rung down again. RTE would have been as well dragging the first man out of Meaghers wearing a Dublin kit with six pints swilling around inside him.
Great on the tactics, his eyesight just lets him down.

Whelan is probably the most knowledgeable pundits for the tactical stuff of RTE pundits along with Tomas O'Se and McStay.

Seany

I actually rate Ciaran Whelan very highly as an analyst.  He talks a lot of sense and of course you'll expect him to be a bit biased when Dublin are playing.  he's not someone who signed for them for a few years, but a living, breathing Dub, so that will always come out and what helps to make it interesting.

I think they're all quite good, but Joe Brolly simply has no self awareness whatsoever.  He doesn't know how to listen, how to absorb someone else's point and respond rationally and logically to it.  He interrupts, shows poor manners and always wants the show to be about him.  He has some great insights, but I think people have caught him on and he has crossed the tipping point where he's not taken seriously now at all.

McStay definitely the best of them all. 

tbrick18

I think Whelan is poor myself. He has no ability to put his Dublin bias aside at any time and in general terms I don't think his tactical knowledge is that great.
Tomas O'Se is the best of the lot of them, though I think O'Rourke and Brolly are rarely far off in the tactical analysis. Brolly just has that way about him that rubs people the wrong way even when he is right...a lot of people can't hear what he's saying just because of the way he says it.

Sean Cavanagh has to be the worst addition in a long long time. Anyone notice how he keeps running out of breath during his comments? He tends to repeat analysis that was in the papers the week coming up to a game and claim as his own OR he tries to come out with controversial comments a-la-brolly just to keep himself interesting. Don't rate him at all.

McStay is good analytically, but by God he would bore you to tears.

Spillane is just the counter to Brolly, couldn't have one without the other. I have to say I don't agree with a lot of his analysis, but he's honest in what he says so I like that.
Colm Cooper is very good too....but doesn't seem to get many games.

As for Joanne Cantwell, she just puts me right off if I'm honest. She obviously doesn't like Brolly and he's sly enough to respond to her obvious digs without letting it get to him. But it's uncomfortable viewing I think when they are both on. Her style of discussion is very scripted, and whilst it was always going to be impossible to get a replacement for Lyster I think she hits well below the mark.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Seany on September 05, 2019, 09:38:15 AM
I actually rate Ciaran Whelan very highly as an analyst.  He talks a lot of sense and of course you'll expect him to be a bit biased when Dublin are playing.  he's not someone who signed for them for a few years, but a living, breathing Dub, so that will always come out and what helps to make it interesting.

I think they're all quite good, but Joe Brolly simply has no self awareness whatsoever.  He doesn't know how to listen, how to absorb someone else's point and respond rationally and logically to it.  He interrupts, shows poor manners and always wants the show to be about him.  He has some great insights, but I think people have caught him on and he has crossed the tipping point where he's not taken seriously now at all.

McStay has done the management stint, picked up a trophy. So he has plenty of respect.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 05, 2019, 10:26:06 AM

McStay has done the management stint, picked up a trophy. So he has plenty of respect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGVM0CUHWs

Whelan should have got a month in Jail for this one.

magpie seanie

The game has evolved so muich since Spillane, Brolly and O'Rourke played that they just aren't up to speed with it. However, as I've stated here a few times - RTE's goal is not to analyse the games. It's to entertain the masses. I disagree vehemently with this approach and until it changes I won't be watching pregame or half time or the talking pieces of TSG. As I and those who are like minded are in the minority it probably won't make one iota of difference which is unfortunate. I spend a good bit of time in the car so I get my analysis discussions from podcasts etc. but it would be nice to get it on the national broadcaster.

Gael85

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 05, 2019, 09:42:02 AM
I think Whelan is poor myself. He has no ability to put his Dublin bias aside at any time and in general terms I don't think his tactical knowledge is that great.
Tomas O'Se is the best of the lot of them, though I think O'Rourke and Brolly are rarely far off in the tactical analysis. Brolly just has that way about him that rubs people the wrong way even when he is right...a lot of people can't hear what he's saying just because of the way he says it.

Sean Cavanagh has to be the worst addition in a long long time. Anyone notice how he keeps running out of breath during his comments? He tends to repeat analysis that was in the papers the week coming up to a game and claim as his own OR he tries to come out with controversial comments a-la-brolly just to keep himself interesting. Don't rate him at all.

McStay is good analytically, but by God he would bore you to tears.

Spillane is just the counter to Brolly, couldn't have one without the other. I have to say I don't agree with a lot of his analysis, but he's honest in what he says so I like that.
Colm Cooper is very good too....but doesn't seem to get many games.

As for Joanne Cantwell, she just puts me right off if I'm honest. She obviously doesn't like Brolly and he's sly enough to respond to her obvious digs without letting it get to him. But it's uncomfortable viewing I think when they are both on. Her style of discussion is very scripted, and whilst it was always going to be impossible to get a replacement for Lyster I think she hits well below the mark.

Whelan has a decent tactical knowledge.  Very good on kickouts, blanket defence, positional changes. Research teams whether it Mayo or Clare.  Gooch is very poor, does little research and always get name of players wrong all the time.

BennyCake

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 05, 2019, 11:02:27 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 05, 2019, 10:26:06 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGVM0CUHWs

Whelan should have got a month in Jail for this one.

And another month for his karate kick, and another for elbowing the Westmeath player on the ground, and another for busting the Meath man's nose after 2 seconds.........

Main Street

I read that as Deano lined up to strike that sideline ball to win the record 5 in a row for the Dubs, about 1.1m were tuned in to those moments in time on TV.
Also reported by RTE was that there were 161,000 streams of the game  on the RTE player. That seems an incredible number of streams to facilitate, I don't know how that works or is made to work but RTE appear to have done very well in that regard.

GalwayBayBoy

RTÉ confirm All-Ireland football final punditry panels, Joe Brolly absent from line-up.

Live show: Pat Spillane, Ciaran Whelan, Stephen Rochford.

Radio: Alan Brogan, Conor McManus, Colm Cooper.

Nighttime show: Colm O'Rourke, Sean Cavanagh, Tomás Ó Sé.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2019, 03:14:41 PM
RTÉ confirm All-Ireland football final punditry panels, Joe Brolly absent from line-up.

Live show: Pat Spillane, Ciaran Whelan, Stephen Rochford.

Radio: Alan Brogan, Conor McManus, Colm Cooper.

Nighttime show: Colm O'Rourke, Sean Cavanagh, Tomás Ó Sé.

A strong Kerry presence!

rrhf

Time for a bring Back Joe campaign.. whats needed is a song and a flag..

rrhf

Conor's sketches just laid off 4 staff, blaming Brexit,  ;D

Owen Brannigan

Team of the Year

Cluxton

Fitzsimmons  -  McNamee  -  O'Sullivan

Durcan  -  Boyle  -  McCaffrey

Fenton  -  Moran

Murphy  -  O'Shea  -  Howard

Mannion  -  McShane  -  O'Callaghan

Clifford, O'Brien, Kilkenny???

McNamee?? How did Cavanagh get such an influence? Any Dublin or Mayo back was far superior.