We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Dublin went to the GAA with a watertight, well thought out plan. The GAA rightly backed it and the transformation in Dublin GAA has been tremendous. It's not perfect but the very real threat of GAA being a minority activity in the capital has been defeated, for now.

Dublin's dominance of Leinster is a big concern but has as much to do with the Kildare's, Meath's etc not getting their act together as Dublin being too strong. Westmeath and Carlow have made a fight of it with Dublin in recent years and thankfully it looks like Kildare are now responding to the challenge. Dublin aren't dominant at underage level though and won't always have as brilliant a manager as Jim Gavin over their senior team. His ability to manage the resources at his disposal is his brilliance in my book and it's not something most GAA coaches would be familiar or comfortable with. To my mind this is a brilliant Dublin team with a brilliant coach. What follows is up for debate. Let us see what happens.

If other counties are willing to learn and are driven to succeed they can reach the levels Dublin are at. Kerry are a special case but the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal at various times can match Dublin. Mayo are the best example in ways. They have tremendous self belief which carries them a long way. Many counties have the exact opposite but Mayo genuinely see themselves as Dublin's equals. Credit to them for that but you can see why they're able to compete.

Too much is made of teams ability levels by one off results by media and it seeps into peoples consciousness. Embrace the challenge posed by a great team and improve to meet it.

mup

Gas man.

We only recently had Jim Gavin attempting to influence what can be said on The Sunday Game and now we have a poster on here trying to influence whats written on these boards.

Seriously if you can't handle the truth then stick to reservoir dubs. After all they banish people from other counties on there.

TheGreatest

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2017, 08:46:45 AM
Dublin went to the GAA with a watertight, well thought out plan. The GAA rightly backed it and the transformation in Dublin GAA has been tremendous. It's not perfect but the very real threat of GAA being a minority activity in the capital has been defeated, for now.

Dublin's dominance of Leinster is a big concern but has as much to do with the Kildare's, Meath's etc not getting their act together as Dublin being too strong. Westmeath and Carlow have made a fight of it with Dublin in recent years and thankfully it looks like Kildare are now responding to the challenge. Dublin aren't dominant at underage level though and won't always have as brilliant a manager as Jim Gavin over their senior team. His ability to manage the resources at his disposal is his brilliance in my book and it's not something most GAA coaches would be familiar or comfortable with. To my mind this is a brilliant Dublin team with a brilliant coach. What follows is up for debate. Let us see what happens.

If other counties are willing to learn and are driven to succeed they can reach the levels Dublin are at. Kerry are a special case but the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal at various times can match Dublin. Mayo are the best example in ways. They have tremendous self belief which carries them a long way. Many counties have the exact opposite but Mayo genuinely see themselves as Dublin's equals. Credit to them for that but you can see why they're able to compete.

Too much is made of teams ability levels by one off results by media and it seeps into peoples consciousness. Embrace the challenge posed by a great team and improve to meet it.

thank you, the above is correct.

Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 08:48:25 AM
Gas man.

We only recently had Jim Gavin attempting to influence what can be said on The Sunday Game and now we have a poster on here trying to influence whats written on these boards.

Seriously if you can't handle the truth then stick to reservoir dubs. After all they banish people from other counties on there.

Thank you, the above is ignorantly incorrect. Jim Gavin was right in what he did, he backed is main man when nobody else would and was witch hunted down my hidden figures lurking on social media, the country people working in the media, the Kerry propaganda employees and shamefully even one of our own, Good management by Jim Gavin, very good management. And that's the difference.

magpie seanie

I think Connolly deserved his suspension and should have been suspended. I also think Gavin was 100% correct in coming out to defend his player and attack the hamfisted cockartistry of the lads on the Sunday Game. They've been meddling in disciplinary matters in a non measured way for years. Gavin isn't the first to complain but the highest profile. Withdrawing interviews etc makes them bleat loudly too.

Rossfan

Dublin won this year's Leinster Senior U21 and Minor and are in the U17 Final.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2017, 09:07:53 AM
Dublin won this year's Leinster Senior U21 and Minor and are in the U17 Final.

Kerry

Munster minor football: Kerry 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Current Munster U-21 winners
Current Munster senior and national league winners.

Quick, someone set up a thread, they are winning too much, lets get them.

seafoid

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 08:53:26 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2017, 08:46:45 AM

thank you, the above is correct.

Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 08:48:25 AM
Gas man.

Thank you, the above is ignorantly incorrect. Jim Gavin was right in what he did, he backed is main man when nobody else would and was witch hunted down my hidden figures lurking on social media, the country people working in the media, the Kerry propaganda employees and shamefully even one of our own, Good management by Jim Gavin, very good management. And that's the difference.
Country people working in the media are a scourge.  They should recuse themselves from stories involving the Dubs, especially in the Herald.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayo4Sam

I see the Dublin media bandwagon has rolled out properly this week, Redmond yesterday and Alan Brogan today.
Obviously they feel Tyrone are becoming a threat now too, I suppose they will be their semifinal opponents

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/alan-brogan-tyrone-keeper-niall-morgan-369482
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mup

Its mind boggling what people see ad don't see.

Look at the Leinster minor championship and compare it to the u21 and senior ones. Notice anything? Other counties are competitive up to minor level but then it's a complete non event after that. The GAA have single handedly f***** up the Leinster Championship and all some on here can do if blame the likes of Meath and Kildare for not having their houses in order. The Leinster minor Championship says that up to that age they do have their houses in order.

Others then ask us to enjoy this once in a lifetime Dublin team as they won't be around forever. Have a look at the 2011 Dublin AI winning team. Or have a look at the 2013 Dublin AI winning. team. Now try and tell me it's a once in a lifetime team.

It's only a matter of time before this transfers to a nationwide problem. There are none so blind as those who cannot see.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 18, 2017, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2017, 04:11:32 PM
Up to the other 31 to put a Motion to Congress - Dublin to be made a Province and 4 Co Boards.
Dublin City pop 550k
Fingal pop 296k
Sth Dublin pop 218k
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown pop 218k.

Connacht for Comparison
Galway 218k
Mayowestros 134k(including Ballagh)
Sligo 65k
Rest of Ros 64k
Leitrim 32k.

Dublin senior football teams playing population is adult football leagues division 1-3 , take out clubs second teams too and then please calculate?

Population argument is the poorest.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'population.'
Are you referring to the numbers actively engaged in club football or the general population of the county.
Either way, I'm afraid the facts don't support your argument.
It's not the number of clubs that count but the number of players in such clubs.
As  far back as the early 90s, a report commissioned by Central Council found that 5 Dublin clubs had more juvenile players than any one of 5 named counties. With rural numbers steadily decreasing and their urban counterparts growing all the while, the imbalance is even worse now.
Sure many kids drop out but those who survive to senior level are the pick of those who have risen through the ranks. Players that show promise will be encouraged to stay on and those who don't make it drop out or are pushed and many will drift away from the club and from the GAA in general.
During this year's club championships. St Vincents with a total membership of 971, (website figures) played a small midlands club that had only half that number of people in the half parish it represented.
You will also find that some Dublin's mega clubs will have more resources at their disposal than some of the smaller counties. It isn't the number of players in a club that counts, it's the number the club has to to pick from.

If you are talking about the general population, I'd really like to see what your reasons for making that statement are. To me, there is no room for argument here but I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks otherwise.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 19, 2017, 09:31:34 AM
I see the Dublin media bandwagon has rolled out properly this week, Redmond yesterday and Alan Brogan today.
Obviously they feel Tyrone are becoming a threat now too, I suppose they will be their semifinal opponents

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/alan-brogan-tyrone-keeper-niall-morgan-369482

I dont mind Morgan getting a  bit of criticism for this as it was uncalled for, but at the same time, it was no worse that several Down players doing the exact same sort of thing during the same game which hasn't been highlighted at all.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

TheGreatest

Sounds like a lot of the above should be belong under a GAA or Leinster council GAA thread, this is the Dublin hate thread for gods sake.

mup

TheGreatest

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 19, 2017, 09:43:26 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 18, 2017, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2017, 04:11:32 PM
Up to the other 31 to put a Motion to Congress - Dublin to be made a Province and 4 Co Boards.
Dublin City pop 550k
Fingal pop 296k
Sth Dublin pop 218k
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown pop 218k.

Connacht for Comparison
Galway 218k
Mayowestros 134k(including Ballagh)
Sligo 65k
Rest of Ros 64k
Leitrim 32k.

Dublin senior football teams playing population is adult football leagues division 1-3 , take out clubs second teams too and then please calculate?

Population argument is the poorest.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'population.'
Are you referring to the numbers actively engaged in club football or the general population of the county.
Either way, I'm afraid the facts don't support your argument.
It's not the number of clubs that count but the number of players in such clubs.
As  far back as the early 90s, a report commissioned by Central Council found that 5 Dublin clubs had more juvenile players than any one of 5 named counties. With rural numbers steadily decreasing and their urban counterparts growing all the while, the imbalance is even worse now.
Sure many kids drop out but those who survive to senior level are the pick of those who have risen through the ranks. Players that show promise will be encouraged to stay on and those who don't make it drop out or are pushed and many will drift away from the club and from the GAA in general.
During this year's club championships. St Vincents with a total membership of 971, (website figures) played a small midlands club that had only half that number of people in the half parish it represented.
You will also find that some Dublin's mega clubs will have more resources at their disposal than some of the smaller counties. It isn't the number of players in a club that counts, it's the number the club has to to pick from.

If you are talking about the general population, I'd really like to see what your reasons for making that statement are. To me, there is no room for argument here but I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks otherwise.

So what's the problem? Dublin always had big numbers, why didn't someone bring this up in the 90s?

China and India also have big numbers playing football. An argument can swing either way.

Dublin will always will have big numbers and its something you wont get an apology for, its the best thing to happen in Dublin and great to see so many children playing our national game in our capital city, id say you would agree, only solution is grouping clubs and counties together.

A women in work from Kildare said she can get over the amount of kids at the Cul Camps down there in the Newbridge area etc. Kildare to be the next big team down the line, following by Meath, by pure demographics of the spread of urbanisation  to the those counties.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
Its not a Dublin hate thread. Read the title.

It is so people like yourself can vent. Chill out man, more important things in life than the Dublin senior footballers have a good team once every 15 years.