Tyrone v Monaghan - Healy Park, Omagh - 16/04/2023 16:00

Started by CK_Redhand, April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on April 17, 2023, 03:45:53 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2023, 08:46:14 AM
Best game I have seen in a long time. Some of the comments about O'Toole going for the goal the way he did show how we have become conditioned to be being very risk averse.

I found McGinley's (a good analyst generally) analysis on the sunday game disappointing. It was about where Tyrone gave it to monaghan rather than where monaghan won it. Every team makes mistakes which will ultimately being the differentiator in games.

Monaghan Derry will be interesting. Monaghan won't be easy beat there.
I think Monaghan could beat Derry. Corey is a good manager

I agree.
Though I think Derry will be much tougher than Tyrone were yesterday. It will be an tough game for both sides.

Main Street

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 17, 2023, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 17, 2023, 04:35:27 PM
Heard your man on OTB say that Monaghan aren't concerned about Ulster titles anymore and it's all about the All-Ireland now. I thought Monaghan hadn't won Ulster in nearly a decade?

The red hair chap who tends to have some odd opinions. Monaghan players reaction at the full whistle says they are very much concerned but Derry next another big hurdle to jump
That's Shane Hannon,  knows about  all things Monaghan GAA in minute detail. He did not say Monaghan are not concerned about Ulster titles, he said winning Ulster in itself is not enough for this Monaghan team, they want more.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on April 17, 2023, 08:44:03 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 17, 2023, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 17, 2023, 04:35:27 PM
Heard your man on OTB say that Monaghan aren't concerned about Ulster titles anymore and it's all about the All-Ireland now. I thought Monaghan hadn't won Ulster in nearly a decade?

The red hair chap who tends to have some odd opinions. Monaghan players reaction at the full whistle says they are very much concerned but Derry next another big hurdle to jump
That's Shane Hannon,  knows about  all things Monaghan GAA in minute detail. He did not say Monaghan are not concerned about Ulster titles, he said winning Ulster in itself is not enough for this Monaghan team, they want more.
Isn't he the reporter that did the Kellie Harrington interview a few weeks ago. I thought that was a reasonable interview but he was on the wrong end of a twitter pile on after it.

Main Street

It's nice to spend the day in celebration of an Ulster triumph.

I wondered what had happened to Tyrone, watched the 2nd half again, and inside the first 10 minutes  Monaghan undid most of Tyrone's first half dominance  when scoring 4 points without even breaking sweat. Monaghan had made the changes, tactics and attitude,while Tyrone were in a daze.
But from 45mins onward it was 50/50, until  Tyrone  had the game won with seconds to play, looked certain winners, but then we witnessed an audacious brilliant winner.
Somehow at the death the pendulum fell Monaghan's way at Healy Pk.

Any neutrals thoughts about the ref Niall Cullen?  I thought he did well, brought something different to the refereeing. Obviously he wasn't perfect but calmly effective and in command, in the context of a hotly contested  Ulster 1/4  final which was going down to the wire.

yellowcard

Quote from: Main Street on April 17, 2023, 09:20:43 PM

I wondered what had happened to Tyrone, watched the 2nd half again, and inside the first 10 minutes  Monaghan undid most of Tyrone's first half dominance  when scoring 4 points without even breaking sweat. Monaghan had made the changes, tactics and attitude,while Tyrone were in a daze.
But from 45mins onward it was 50/50, until  Tyrone  had the game won with seconds to play, looked certain winners, but then we witnessed an audacious brilliant winner.

Any neutrals thoughts about the ref Niall Cullen?  I thought he did well, brought something different to the refereeing. Obviously he wasn't perfect but calmly effective and in command, in the context of a hotly contested  Ulster 1/4  final which was going down to the wire.

Corey definitely identified the problems at half time and made the changes that won Monaghan the match. They upped the intensity and started to hunt down Tyrone in he second half after they had been far too passive in the opening period. That was great management.

Thought the referee was fairly poor. Gave Monaghan some fairly innocuous free kicks which McManus converted in the first half to keep them in the game. Should've sent off McNamee for striking Jones but instead booked Hampsey (tbf that was down to his umpires) and gave Tyrone a couple of very soft free kicks nearing the end of the match.

CK_Redhand

Can someone explained what happened with the Tyrone "indirect free"? That's what the BBC commentators called it but I can't remember it happening in GAA before.

Wildweasel74

Saffrongael

Quote from: CK_Redhand on April 17, 2023, 10:10:46 PM
Can someone explained what happened with the Tyrone "indirect free"? That's what the BBC commentators called it but I can't remember it happening in GAA before.

I didn't see it but a "technical foul" inside the 13yd box im guessing ? Fouling the ball, too many steps etc ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Stall the Bailer

When play is stopped for a serious injury, play is restarted with a free for the last team in possession but they can't score from the free. If no team was in possession it is a hop ball

twohands!!!

Not to be too negative but I thought both sides were poor enough for periods of the game.
I think because of the exciting nature of the game down the stretch people are overlooking a lot of poor/bad play on both sides.
Monaghan were wide open in the first half - at one stage it was like they had forgot to tell anyone to play centre-back never mind sweeper.
Tyrone's discipline and taking on some poor options on the shooting front (McCurry especially) kept Monaghan in the game in the first half.
Then at the start of the second half Tyrone looked like a side who were convinced they had the game won - they had the look of a team who seemed to think that they were much further ahead on the scoreboard- of all sides to adopt this attitude to Monaghan are not the side to do so especially when Tyrone had kept them in the game in the first half.
It took Tyrone way too long to wake up in the 2nd half and actually realise they were in a game. Then it was helter-skelter down the home stretch.

Main Street

Quote from: yellowcard on April 17, 2023, 09:54:28 PM

Corey definitely identified the problems at half time and made the changes that won Monaghan the match. They upped the intensity and started to hunt down Tyrone in he second half after they had been far too passive in the opening period. That was great management.

Thought the referee was fairly poor. Gave Monaghan some fairly innocuous free kicks which McManus converted in the first half to keep them in the game. Should've sent off McNamee for striking Jones but instead booked Hampsey (tbf that was down to his umpires) and gave Tyrone a couple of very soft free kicks nearing the end of the match.
I think the slo mo replays confirmed that the ref had his reasons to award the soft foul, maybe  opinions differ on the force of the push in the face/back, but the O'Hanlon steps foul  took the biscuit, was it not a thing decided in the past with Sean Cavanagh, 4 baby steps on the spot is equal to one manly step?

Did Peter Harte have any impact in the game, I didn't realise he was playing until midway 2nd half.

Armagh18

Still no idea how Tyrone were so open for the second goal. Madness how Monaghan had so many overlaps.

Main Street

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 17, 2023, 11:21:16 PM
Still no idea how Tyrone were so open for the second goal. Madness how Monaghan had so many overlaps.
They didn't get back fast enough to lock the doors. I wouldn't try too hard to analyse the why, but the goal needed to be scored by Monaghan instead of a fisted point, Tyrone would have had two plays to score a point instead of desperate attempts to score a goal.

Itchy

I thought ref was poor enough, gave some ridiculous soft frees to both teams and bottled a red card against Tyrone.

Rossfan

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2023, 10:19:50 PM
When play is stopped for a serious injury, play is restarted with a free for the last team in possession but they can't score from the free. If no team was in possession it is a hop ball
The ongoing lack of knowledge of this rule by so many never ceases to amaze me!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM