Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Are some crackpots really comparing the UK now to Nazi Germany?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Wildweasel74

Where did the Nazis get the idea for heavy labour camps? Straight out of the British handbook in the boer war.

Wildweasel74

They didn't do much crying about internment camps bck on the 70's. No trials there.

smort

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/03/09/is-there-any-comparison-between-bravermans-migration-bill-and-nazi-germany/

From above article...

Is it time to invoke the charge of fascism and draw parallels with Nazi Germany, as others have done? I am appalled by the new legislation but the circumstances today are different. Refugees have considerably more agency and enjoy more rights now, even though many are also victims of trafficking and their rights are in peril by this government's design. The imperative now must be to ensure that their rights are preserved. The nationalist rhetoric we have heard is undeniably incendiary, which is why it brings up the spectre of fascism in a country that still clings to its reputation from Second World War as a defender of liberalism.

Arguably, the use of such language is more a precursor than a product of fascism, but as we saw in the attacks on hotels housing asylum-seekers, and protests organised by Britain First, it is nonetheless a dangerous source of incitement, and must be taken seriously

I watched pmqs on Wednesday and twice Sunak said 'we are on the side of the British people'. It is the nationalist sentiment that is being stoked and this is definitely going to be a focus for the Tories in the next election

Twitter isn't the place for nuance, but this is obviously what Lineker was getting at, this unwelcoming nationalism

Louther

The UK is a melting pot of hate and division at present. I posted on here something back about a conversation I had with someone working over there. He said there is complete apathy towards the government and rules, it's an angry place and people are on edge. Drugs, crime, anti social behaviour is all rampant while services and control are dropping.

I've relations and dealings with lots over in England. The majority all preach brexit but none can pinpoint what benefit it has given in their own life's. Many scrambling for Irish passports. All blame break down in public services on immigrants. All moan about inability to fill low paid jobs cause the labour market has dried up. But it's everyone's fault. Everyone's woke. Everyone's now indifferent to what they see on a daily basis and just aren't bothered as they don't think it will change.

Lineker was right. He's right to have an opinion. And right to air it. If you don't agree with it, that's your own right.

UK is a powder keg and brexit and the whole division it caused has led it down a dangerous path.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 10, 2023, 10:25:35 PM
Are some crackpots really comparing the UK now to Nazi Germany?

No

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2023, 09:52:13 PM
Has anyone ever clarified how Britain 2023 is like Nazism 1930s? What exactly is it that's being compared? Willing to be educated on this with an open mind.
Well, Lieneker being cancelled by the state controlled media for disagreeing with the government is abit on the Nazi side.

Stall the Bailer

The language they are using, the actions they are taking and depths they are going to hang onto power are comparable to an extent. Doesn't mean they are like them but the direction of travel is very concerning. https://twitter.com/terrychristian/status/1634210508151685121?t=aiwSWetzv51EqZ4ImyKU3g&s=19

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 10, 2023, 10:44:48 PM
Has anyone ever clarified how Britain 2023 is like Nazism 1930s? What exactly is it that's being compared? Willing to be educated on this with an open mind.
Well, Lieneker being cancelled by the state controlled media for disagreeing with the government is abit on the Nazi side.

People publicly disagree with the government every day. Nobody cares. That's not really what the issue is though is it. Its the fact he compared Britain now to the Nazis. It was a very silly historically ignorant thing to come out with and anyone who thinks it's accurate needs a serious boot in the hole. Hope he gets rehired though. I enjoy his punditry.

RedHand88

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 10, 2023, 10:51:36 PM
The language they are using, the actions they are taking and depths they are going to hang onto power are comparable to an extent. Doesn't mean they are like them but the direction of travel is very concerning. https://twitter.com/terrychristian/status/1634210508151685121?t=aiwSWetzv51EqZ4ImyKU3g&s=19

Lol fs so now mandatory voter ID is considered Nazi!  ::) Ah here, I'm away to bed.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2023, 10:52:55 PM

People publicly disagree with the government every day. Nobody cares. That's not really what the issue is though is it. Its the fact he compared Britain now to the Nazis. It was a very silly historically ignorant thing to come out with and anyone who thinks it's accurate needs a serious boot in the hole. Hope he gets rehired though. I enjoy his punditry.
He didn't compare Britain to the Nazi's. He said the language being used was like that of Germany in the 30s. Big difference to what you are implying

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 10, 2023, 10:57:34 PM

He didn't compare Britain to the Nazi's. He said the language being used was like that of Germany in the 30s. Big difference to what you are implying

This

Milltown Row2

Doesn't fit his point of view though..

Britain is full of nazi like thinkers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2023, 10:54:56 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 10, 2023, 10:51:36 PM

Lol fs so now mandatory voter ID is considered Nazi!  ::) Ah here, I'm away to bed.
It isn't, but making it easier for demographics who are more prone to be Tory voters to get photo ID would be. For example a senior citizen bus pass is valid but a student one is not valid.

RedHand88

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 10, 2023, 10:57:34 PM

The big difference being they use language like the Nazis, but not actions?