Congress

Started by Baile BrigĂ­n 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I reckon neither A nor B will get enough support to pass and we'll have another Super 8s in 2022.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rodney trotter

The Super 8s is being pulled regardless of how the Vote goes.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 10, 2021, 09:50:43 PM
The Super 8s is being pulled regardless of how the Vote goes.

Great to hear. I just thought that they were continuing with year three of the experiment that got cancelled due to Covid.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Eire90

are otb am  blowing their load already on proposal b are they overestimating the amount bandwagon casual fans that only care about semi finals and finals they are saying we are going to see people loads of cars and motorcades with flags flying driving into towns every weekend.

tiempo

Quote from: Eire90 on October 13, 2021, 09:25:02 AM
are otb am  blowing their load already on proposal b are they overestimating the amount bandwagon casual fans that only care about semi finals and finals they are saying we are going to see people loads of cars and motorcades with flags flying driving into towns every weekend.

Majorly blowing their load in an attempt to stay relevant in the off season

Do those gents have a vote or are they active at committee level within clubs, counties, provincial, national?

I suspect not, its their prerogative to keep the conversation going, fair enough, but a bit more balance would be nice as they are in the position of never being wrong and never having to implement any of the outworkings of any decision, a bit more respect to the success and relevance of the provincial model would be nice

A fan of a tweaked plan b myself, suppose everyone has a tweak they'd like to see, from that point of view there'll never be an outcome that comes close to keeping everyone happy

Rossfan

General feeling seems to be that A won't get much support, that B won't make the 60% and the 4Cs recommendation of the 2017 system with Tommytailteann will be adopted.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Proposal B to me has only one advantage.

But paradoxically, none of its advocates seem to have realised this one advantage.

It would remove the need for a split season.

Because you have certainty about fixtures, and thus you can time club windows in the same way that association football currently has an international window.

But pretty much all advocates of Proposal B are also advocates of the split season.

If you have certainty about fixtures, what is the point of then having a split season?

As it is, Proposal B just shoehorns a load of uncompetitive football into April and May, months when people are much less likely to make late decisions to go games than they are in the June to August period.

And Proposal B will live or die by attendances.

Rossfan

Louther

Quote from: sid waddell on October 13, 2021, 11:12:54 AM
Proposal B to me has only one advantage.

But paradoxically, none of its advocates seem to have realised this one advantage.

It would remove the need for a split season.

Because you have certainty about fixtures, and thus you can time club windows in the same way that association football currently has an international window.

But pretty much all advocates of Proposal B are also advocates of the split season.

If you have certainty about fixtures, what is the point of then having a split season?

As it is, Proposal B just shoehorns a load of uncompetitive football into April and May, months when people are much less likely to make late decisions to go games than they are in the June to August period.

And Proposal B will live or die by attendances.

I'd hope the split season stays and is incorporated into Plan B. This month for clubs between Intercounty competitions never works to any useful extent.

There isn't much between April/May in terms of weather. It's generally fine for football.

What you will lose in people not attending because of weather you will also lose in June/July with people on holidays, exams, wedding etc. There never a time that will suit everyone nor can there be. In April and May people are generally very keen to get out and about again.

Focus should be on getting people to attend not give them reasons not to.

Offaly have joined Sligo in backing Plan B after the my consulted their players and mgt.

sid waddell

Quote from: Louther on October 13, 2021, 12:05:38 PM

What you will lose in people not attending because of weather you will also lose in June/July with people on holidays, exams, wedding etc. There never a time that will suit everyone nor can there be. In April and May people are generally very keen to get out and about again.
The peak summer months are always much more conducive to big attendances than April or May are. I honestly don't know how anybody could argue otherwise.

In terms of exams, it doesn't get much worse in terms of them affecting inter-county football than April/May.

Louther

Quote from: sid waddell on October 13, 2021, 12:20:43 PM
Quote from: Louther on October 13, 2021, 12:05:38 PM

The peak summer months are always much more conducive to big attendances than April or May are. I honestly don't know how anybody could argue otherwise.

In terms of exams, it doesn't get much worse in terms of them affecting inter-county football than April/May.

People attend for the game not due to weather or it been peak summer. Six Nations and European club rugby have never suffered cause of the time of year it's played. Premier league avoids this peak summer and play through the winter, doesn't affect them.
This new structure is primarily aimed at getting competitive games and the best teams playing each other and other teams playing at their own level. That will drive people to the games. Not long ago Cavan played a 3rd string Dublin team in opening round of the league in Cavan, place was full and they literally opened gates to get people in. Was a fine spring day - they happen too! People attended because it was a big game.

In January 2020 over 40,000 went to Dublin V Kerry in Croke Park. January. Imagine that as a league championship game. In 2017 over 50,000 went to the league final between the two teams.

Big games will draw the crowds once promoted and that's for new provincial championship or new league.

Rossfan

No matter what the outcome in Congress with an AI Final on 17th July an awful lot of games will have to be held in April/May.
E.G if we end up with the 2017 system
17th July AIF
2/3 July AISFs
18/19 June AI Qtr Fs
4/5 June Round involving Provincial losing Finalists.
20/21 May Provincial Finals plus Qualifier Round.
6/7 May Provincial SFs.
April - Provincial prelims and Qtr Finals.
Add in Hurley stuff plus Minors, u20s....

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 13, 2021, 01:52:11 PM
https://www.facebook.com/607517496033685/posts/4460206047431458/?d=n

All about the money
Not a hope will Pre season provincial leagues played in February and March will get that type revenue however the objective here is to pull the wool over the eyes of the provincial chiefs.

thewobbler

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 13, 2021, 01:52:11 PM
https://www.facebook.com/607517496033685/posts/4460206047431458/?d=n

All about the money

Would turnover not be a barometer of popularity?

I mean it's not like there's going to be any more games played over a season if B passes.