Congress

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Super 8s to be ditched regardless of the outcome https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/7710667/gaa-championship-structure-congress-super-8s/

A poor enough experiment, dead rubber games at the business end of Championship didn't look good.

yellowcard

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 06, 2021, 11:43:07 PM
Super 8s to be ditched regardless of the outcome https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/7710667/gaa-championship-structure-congress-super-8s/

A poor enough experiment, dead rubber games at the business end of Championship didn't look good.

That's no harm at all, the advent of Super 8s was on its way to increasing the gap between the elite few and the rest. Thankfully that has been halted by the reversion back to knock out championship over the last 2 seasons.

The best proposal I have seen yet is one which is not on the table and was the one put forward by Jim McGuinness. Most people agree that Plan A is a non runner but I'm not entirely convinced by plan B either.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 06, 2021, 11:43:07 PM

Was a lot of politics in play for the Super Duper 8 to get voted in to begin with.

Eire90

Does anyone know if we will have league finals still with proposal b if thats the case then the division 3 and 4 finals are effectively an Ireland qualifier

Rossfan

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/7714551/gaa-leadership-football-championship-vote-special-congress/

Tomás Ó Riain has maintained a low public profile in general since he got the ÁS job.
Might be no harm as his predecessor was never out of the Media.
The Review Committee who formulated the 2 proposals have been pretty silent too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tres Bien

The pre Super 8 was vastly superior to the Super 8s.

A bit of mild tweaking is what's needed. I think divisional status should count toward your championship status.

If a Div 3/4 team win their province then they go into senior champ. Otherwise they are in the Tailteann.
Provincial winners straight through to QFs.
Everyone out before then are paired off by their league ranking.

Provincial Championship played more or less as it has been in the backdoor system.

Go on the basis on 2020 League and Provincials.

Ulster - Cavan
Munster - Tipp
Leinster - Dublin
Connacht - Mayo

Based on league rankings the following teams take part in All Ireland senior:

1. Kerry
2. Galway
3. Tyrone
4. Donegal
5. Monaghan
6. Meath
7. Roscommon
8. Armagh
9. Kildare
10. Westmeath
11. Laois
12. Clare

Teams ranked 5-12 will face off in R1 based on seedings

Monaghan v Clare
Meath v Laois
Roscommon v Westmeath
Armagh v Kildare

Round 2 will see

Kerry v R1 winner
Galway v R1 winner
Tyrone v R1 winner
Donegal v R1 winner

QF
Cavan v R1 winner
Tipp v R1 winner
Dublin v R1 winner
Mayo v R1 winner

I don't like the idea that say the Div 2 winner is ranked above the bottom placed Div 1 team. As far as I see it that team played Div 1 football that year so deserves credit for playing at a higher level.

Either way if you finish within the top 12 teams in the league system you are guaranteed a senior championship place.

The same system would work for the intermediate championship.

In R2 of the draw which would be open I think teams from the same province should not be allowed to be drawn against each other if possible.

tiempo

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 07, 2021, 10:54:35 AM
The pre Super 8 was vastly superior to the Super 8s.

A bit of mild tweaking is what's needed. I think divisional status should count toward your championship status.

If a Div 3/4 team win their province then they go into senior champ. Otherwise they are in the Tailteann.
Provincial winners straight through to QFs.
Everyone out before then are paired off by their league ranking.

Provincial Championship played more or less as it has been in the backdoor system.

Go on the basis on 2020 League and Provincials.

Ulster - Cavan
Munster - Tipp
Leinster - Dublin
Connacht - Mayo

Based on league rankings the following teams take part in All Ireland senior:

1. Kerry
2. Galway
3. Tyrone
4. Donegal
5. Monaghan
6. Meath
7. Roscommon
8. Armagh
9. Kildare
10. Westmeath
11. Laois
12. Clare

Teams ranked 5-12 will face off in R1 based on seedings

Monaghan v Clare
Meath v Laois
Roscommon v Westmeath
Armagh v Kildare

Round 2 will see

Kerry v R1 winner
Galway v R1 winner
Tyrone v R1 winner
Donegal v R1 winner

QF
Cavan v R1 winner
Tipp v R1 winner
Dublin v R1 winner
Mayo v R1 winner

I don't like the idea that say the Div 2 winner is ranked above the bottom placed Div 1 team. As far as I see it that team played Div 1 football that year so deserves credit for playing at a higher level.

Either way if you finish within the top 12 teams in the league system you are guaranteed a senior championship place.

The same system would work for the intermediate championship.

In R2 of the draw which would be open I think teams from the same province should not be allowed to be drawn against each other if possible.

Wish Angelo was here to see this, would bring a tear to a glass eye  :'(

Louther

I can't think of any other team sports that have such eleborate hybrid structures or that try to invent them and have arrived at such a place as the current GAA championship is. It's not knockout but it is with a back door, then goes into a league where the previous knocked out teams could come back and then it goes to a knockout again. Plus adding a second competition in now that you enter based on standing in another competition or how you did last year. It's mind boggling what we currently have.

Plan B tidys lot of this up. Still lot of cross over and permutations. I'd genuinely go with Div1 and Div2 play senior championship into a knockout. Any provincial winners outside of those play off with bottom team(s) for a place in knock out. 1st round seeded and then open draw to spice it up. Seeded teams get home advantage round 1.

Failing that play championship like this year, no back door or super 8s. Put the pressure on the big teams with no fall back position. We seen obsessed with making it rules that every team must have a decent chance. They can't. Dublins dominance made such a gap it clouded the judgement of many.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

QuoteWe have 80% of our membership in favour of Proposal B, 90% of our GPA representatives and captains support the series.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1007/1252296-its-about-fairness-gpa-urge-support-for-option-b/

rodney trotter

New proposals explained well enough here https://t.co/VOWcOzhdxP?amp=1

dublin7

While Plan B has its flaws it's a better format than the current one. It should implemented for a trial period to see how it goes. There's nothing positive to be gained from sticking with the current screwed up system. 

The GAA world didn't end when the new hurling championship structure was implemented and that has proved a success. If it was a player/manager vote it would be a landslide vote, but the individuals who actually attend congress are a different demographic with different agendas and ideas so there's no way of telling how the vote will go

BennyCake

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 07, 2021, 05:05:32 PM

So the provincial championships become the O'Byrne/McKenna Cup. Why would  counties like Tyrone/Donegal/Monaghan, teams with All Ireland aspirations take Ulster in any way serious?

The Ulster championship is hard enough to win any year (potentially facing  4 Div 1 opposition to win it), but at least there's a reward from winning it, ie. a QF place, While those who don't win it take the arduous scenic route.

But what benefits  are there to say Donegal playing up to 6 games in Feb/March To win  ulster with no reward? Risking injuries, suspensions , and teams knocking ten bells out of each other? Seriously what is the point?

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on October 07, 2021, 06:56:54 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 07, 2021, 05:05:32 PM

So the provincial championships become the O'Byrne/McKenna Cup. Why would  counties like Tyrone/Donegal/Monaghan, teams with All Ireland aspirations take Ulster in any way serious?

Tyrone were big into the McKenna cup, they'll win 10 Ulsters in a row.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

if the provincial championships are not that big without being linked to the all ireland does that mean they were not really that big anyway if they were so good should not be able to stand alone like the euro football championships are not linked to the world cup