GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 26, 2022, 03:15:11 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 26, 2022, 11:55:21 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 26, 2022, 07:40:01 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 25, 2022, 07:39:18 PM
I'm arguing that for right or wrong, social convention is to wear the poppy.  This monument is an outlier

What a load of absolute and utter bull. The poppy is not a social convention. It is exclusive to one community in a divided society. That makes it a contentious and divisive symbol which makes many nationalists uncomfortable. Either you are opposed to any politically uncomfortable symbols in sport, or you are not. Your attempts to pick and choose are so bloody transparently grounded in your own bias, it's laughable.
What are your views on the Soldiers Song being played at the Aviva for Ireland rugby matches?  As it does not represent all of the island of Ireland, surely that makes it contentious and divisive too?

It's the Irish national anthem.

Should GSTQ be played before (NI) games?
In my opinion, no. Like Wales and Scotland, NI should have own anthem. Don't see what is wrong with Danny Boy even, as it's used at Commonwealth Games (Even if that wee scrote Barnes doesn't like it lol). Good compromise would be 2 anthems like the rugby, but don't think that's allowed by UEFA/FIFA.

Snapchap

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 26, 2022, 01:51:28 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 26, 2022, 07:40:01 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 25, 2022, 07:39:18 PM
I'm arguing that for right or wrong, social convention is to wear the poppy.  This monument is an outlier

What a load of absolute and utter bull. The poppy is not a social convention. It is exclusive to one community in a divided society. That makes it a contentious and divisive symbol which makes many nationalists uncomfortable. Either you are opposed to any politically uncomfortable symbols in sport, or you are not. Your attempts to pick and choose are so bloody transparently grounded in your own bias, it's laughable.

My bias? Look at the words I used to describe the poppy you nut.

The problem here is you are ignoring what I am actually saying because it doesn't fit in your pre concieved/pre written rant.

That means you are either as thick as shit or not on the level. Or both.

Either engage with what I wrote or ask my rope.

Of course you are bias. Just because you have described your dislike of the poppy doesn't mean you haven't repeatedly defended/excused its promotion by the IFA. Two instances of sports facilitating politically contentious symbols. You are only calling for sanctions for one and making excuses for the other.