national league or 21 allireland

Started by spuds, April 15, 2010, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whats the greater achievement

national league title
21 allireland
same difference

ross4life

I remember going to visit the late great Jimmy Murray & he showed me his junior All ireland 1940 & connaught 1943 medals i asked him where are your Senior All Ireland medals? "Aye laddie without these i wouldn't have any seniors"

*edit don't know why i typed minor
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ross4life on April 15, 2010, 04:21:05 PM
I remember going to visit the late great Jimmy Murray & he showed me his 1939 41 All ireland medals i asked him where are your Senior All Ireland medals? "Aye laddie without these i wouldn't have any seniors"

Laddie? He must have been a rite patronising old git. Loads of players have won senior All Ireland medals without winning minor ones.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: RMDrive on April 15, 2010, 04:08:51 PM
1. AI
2. NFL Div 1
3= U21 AI
3= NFL Div 2
5. Minor AI
6. NFL Div 3
7. NFL Div 4

I wouldn't agree with that at all. We won the Div 2 title in 2008 and while we were delighted to raise the cup it didn't compare to the scenes in 99 or the minors in 95 for that matter.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 04:27:26 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 15, 2010, 04:21:05 PM
I remember going to visit the late great Jimmy Murray & he showed me his 1939 41 All ireland medals i asked him where are your Senior All Ireland medals? "Aye laddie without these i wouldn't have any seniors"

Laddie? He must have been a rite patronising old git. Loads of players have won senior All Ireland medals without winning minor ones.

I was just going to say that. Kerry haven't won the minor since 1994 or something like that. Lads like Declan O'Sullivan and Gooch never won a minor.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 15, 2010, 04:27:59 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on April 15, 2010, 04:08:51 PM
1. AI
2. NFL Div 1
3= U21 AI
3= NFL Div 2
5. Minor AI
6. NFL Div 3
7. NFL Div 4

I wouldn't agree with that at all. We won the Div 2 title in 2008 and while we were delighted to raise the cup it didn't compare to the scenes in 99 or the minors in 95 for that matter.

I wouldn't put a Division 2 title above an All Ireland of any description, but I would put a senior Division 1 League title above an underage All Ireland, in terms of importance for your county.

Underage All Irelands are great, but they are only great because they hint at future senior success. (Just as Westmeath's 1995 and 99 All Irelands at Underage finally came to fruition in 2004, which was bigger than either of them).

SLIGONIAN

This is self importance bullshit, who cares, comparisons cant be made, Its pointless. The 2 boys are just winding up each other in the office, with the mayo pride and roscommon pride logging horns, nothing more.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

AZOffaly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 15, 2010, 04:31:55 PM
This is self importance bullshit, who cares, comparisons cant be made, Its pointless. The 2 boys are just winding up each other in the office, with the mayo pride and roscommon pride logging horns, nothing more.

Obviously that Sligonian, but it is an interesting topic regardless of the motivation behind it.

ross4life

Well mistake for typing Minor, Jimmy was a true gentleman really loved his football, the junior all ireland was a Spring board to Roscommon 1943 all ireland Success & the Connaught title won in 1943 was Roscommons first since 1914 so he had a point when he said without these he wouldn't have any seniors
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

longrunsthefox

I remember when we used to have arguements like that in Tyrone  ;)  I'm sure he was a gentleman, I was just winding you up.

tonesfirstandlast

1. All-Ireland Club [Senior]
2. All- Ireland County [Senior]
3. Provinciul Club [Senior]
4. County Club[ Senior]
5. Provincial County [Senior]
6. Al- Ireland U21
7. National League [Division 1]

Other national Leagues [Div 2, 3, 4] players would be too embarrassed to mention them

ross4life

well you could have talked about the one All ireland Sligo won in Junior in 1935

J. Scanlon, S. Scanlon, P. McGovern, J. Carty, M. Kennedy, O. Harte, P. Tiernan, F. Henry, M. Waters, C. Curran, P. Brennan, M. Stenson, J. O'Donnell, S. Tansey, J. Quinn

Those players must be big names in Sligo?

Rossfan

I'd say either U21 or NFL would put the Sligonians in raptures  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Volcanic ash clouds of doom and Sligonian being the calm voice of reason. Surely signs that the apocalypse is nigh.

SLIGONIAN

Lads I dont acknowledge any trophy before 1982 (the year I was born) so 1935 All Ireland is meaningless to me ;)

I think its funny how much pride people put in the past before they were even born like mayo and roscommon lads. If any of us had a choice we all pick Kilkenny or Kerry to be from, your pretty much set for life then.. 8)

Rossfan wouldnt it put anyone into raptures? Id take either, but Id much rather be a Sligoman than a Rossie at present ;D.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 15, 2010, 09:53:16 PM
, but Id much rather be a Sligoman than a Rossie at present ;D.

You have no ambition Sligonian . Imagine wanting to remain a Shliiigoite all your life   :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM