USFC: Armagh v Tyrone @ MAG. 10/6/12

Started by our_fella, May 15, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

RealSpiritof98

worst attempt of a WUM yet, we all know the shit u dick!!!

Fuzzman

I suppose what I was surprised from those stats was that in my head both teams were quite even in matches won up until maybe a few years ago.
Had Tyrone not won in 2008 though then we couldn't have been described as a dominant team in the noughties.

After Tyrone's collapse v Meath in 1996, we really went into the wilderness for a long time.
In that period Armagh had been knocking on the door for a number of years and it wasn't until they got Kernan that they knocked down that door.

Interestingly Club football in Armagh (and Derry) always seems to do very well at provincial and national level but I wonder does this have a negative impact on their county team.

Sorry for the shit stirring lads. I was just curious what others thought of these stats.
Don't worry ye'll get us in round 3 or 4 of qualifiers.

Armamike

Tyrone club football is rubbish. Their junior teams are competitive i suppose but  out of their depth at senior level.
That's just, like your opinion man.

omagh_gael

Quote from: hardstation on June 23, 2012, 12:54:35 AM
Tyrone club football is strange alright. This last few years Clonoe and Coalisland have won county championships. Neither has anyone starting for the county. In fact, the county setup is very 'west'.

There were a right number of Clonoe fellas brought into the panel a couple of years ago but if I recall correctly they didn't set the world alight. Perhaps getting a go now, with a lot of the old guard having stepped aside, would give them a better chance of making an impact. They are both the major form teams in the county.

everymanaman

Quote from: Armamike on June 23, 2012, 12:49:14 AM
Tyrone club football is rubbish. Their junior teams are competitive i suppose but  out of their depth at senior level.
Armagh club football is also rubbish. One team and that's it. At least Tyrone club football is competitive

fitzroyalty

Quote from: everymanaman on June 23, 2012, 12:07:35 PM
Armagh club football is also rubbish. One team and that's it. At least Tyrone club football is competitive
Aye, Maghery are motoring well, only bate once so far this season...

Oh you mean Cross, is that the club that cleans up in Ulster and the AI as well....  ::)

ziggysego

Quote from: fitzroyalty on June 23, 2012, 01:44:57 PM

Oh you mean Cross, is that the club that cleans up in Ulster and the AI as well....  ::)

I think you're missing the point there. Yes, Rangers are an unbelievably successful club at Ulster and All-Ireland, but it comes at a price of competitative football at county. Only one other club has only the County Championship in the last 13 years (approx) I don't know how the league is though.
Testing Accessibility

maddog

The rest of Armagh football cannot be rubbished because of how exceptional Crossmaglen are.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: ziggysego on June 23, 2012, 02:12:52 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on June 23, 2012, 01:44:57 PM

I think you're missing the point there. Yes, Rangers are an unbelievably successful club at Ulster and All-Ireland, but it comes at a price of competitative football at county. Only one other club has only the County Championship in the last 13 years (approx) I don't know how the league is though.
What Maddog said. I'm not arguing Cross' success doesn't negatively affect the county team's prospects - there's evidence to suggest it does.

What I'm saying is that Cross could easily hammer a team in an AI semi-final the same way they could hammer someone in an Armagh SFC semi-final, likewise they could be brought to a replay in a first round Armagh SFC match like they could in an AI-final.

rrhf

trileacman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 23, 2012, 04:45:09 PM
Crossmaglen's dominance in Armagh's club competitions badly distort the overall picture of senior football in the county there, making assumptions that club football in the county must be shite because of them. As I see it, only two clubs in Ulster could put up a reasonable challenge to them, Pearse Og in Armagh and St. Galls in Antrim.

I think the standard of senior club football in Tyrone isn't too bad - not thee best in all of Ireland, but definitely better than Fermanagh, Cavan, Antrim when you take St. Gall's out and probably on a par with Down and Derry at the moment. One of the problems with the senior championship in Tyrone is that it's often a war of attrition within the county and the entertainment value of many high profile games in recent years hasn't been that great. The excuse of the county board having a strong focus on the county setup holds no water IMO - before gaelic football apparently existed in 2003 and back in a time in the 80s and 90s when club football had a much stronger influence in the county, little was made headway by Tyrone's SFC winners other than Errigal Ciaran and a couple of Ulster finalists. As for the county champions seemingly devoid of county players - not that unusual, I remember Carrickmore winning the Tyrone SFC a few years back with no county players either. In recent times this can be explained - Mickey Harte does not necessarily pick the best players in the county overall for the county team, but picks the best players suited to his style of coaching and game play that he wants from his team. Plenty of players over the past decade in Tyrone whom many would say would be county standard have gone through try outs in the McKenna Cup and NFL league games but not make the cut for the championship panel, not necessarily because they are not good players, but their style of play and their adaptability might not be what Harte is after.

I'd disagree I don't think that Harte picks players that "suit" the system, I think he picks the 15 best forwards and 15 best backs in the county. I mean look at Penrose, just because Carrickmore were winning county championships doesn't mean that all their forwards are better than a player who is in a side battling relegation.

There's alot of shite here about the strength of club football.
"Armagh club football is shite" - Three AI club titles says otherwise.
"Tyrone club football is shite" - three AI titles says otherwise (Club sides give you county players, Can club football be shite when it contains such proven quality?)

Both viewpoints can be argued equally so its pointless trying to prove one over the other.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 23, 2012, 09:02:10 PM
Quote from: trileacman on June 23, 2012, 08:29:18 PM

There's alot of shite here about the strength of club football.
"Armagh club football is shite" - Three AI club titles says otherwise.

You seem be generating your fair share.  If you might want to take a moment to check Crossmaglen's record:

All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship (6 times):
1997, 1999, 2000, 2007, 2011, 2012

Ulster Senior Club Football Championship (9 times):
1996, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

Sorry, didn't know you were marking my work.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

The Tyrone senior champions never seem to cut the mustard when they get out of the county. The only team really was the Errigal side but if Canavan had been playing for Dregish they'd have ruled the roost too. I always though Dromore would do well but never materialised.

Armagh senior football always produce good sides capable of winning Ulster. The year before the Crossmaglen revival, Mullaghbawn won Ulster. You also had the great Clann side of the 70s. The 80s was a bit crap for both with only Pearse og or the Island lokking like doing anything. That fine Augher side of McKennas never seemed to count.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 23, 2012, 04:45:09 PM
Crossmaglen's dominance in Armagh's club competitions badly distort the overall picture of senior football in the county there, making assumptions that club football in the county must be shite because of them. As I see it, only two clubs in Ulster could put up a reasonable challenge to them, Pearse Og in Armagh and St. Galls in Antrim.

I think the standard of senior club football in Tyrone isn't too bad - not thee best in all of Ireland, but definitely better than Fermanagh, Cavan, Antrim when you take St. Gall's out and probably on a par with Down and Derry at the moment. One of the problems with the senior championship in Tyrone is that it's often a war of attrition within the county and the entertainment value of many high profile games in recent years hasn't been that great. The excuse of the county board having a strong focus on the county setup holds no water IMO - before gaelic football apparently existed in 2003 and back in a time in the 80s and 90s when club football had a much stronger influence in the county, little was made headway by Tyrone's SFC winners other than Errigal Ciaran and a couple of Ulster finalists. As for the county champions seemingly devoid of county players - not that unusual, I remember Carrickmore winning the Tyrone SFC a few years back with no county players either. In recent times this can be explained - Mickey Harte does not necessarily pick the best players in the county overall for the county team, but picks the best players suited to his style of coaching and game play that he wants from his team. Plenty of players over the past decade in Tyrone whom many would say would be county standard have gone through try outs in the McKenna Cup and NFL league games but not make the cut for the championship panel, not necessarily because they are not good players, but their style of play and their adaptability might not be what Harte is after.

Balls. St Gall's are not capable of challenging Cross. Never have been, never will be.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet