USFC: Armagh v Tyrone @ MAG. 10/6/12

Started by our_fella, May 15, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: sheamy on May 17, 2012, 11:43:51 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 17, 2012, 10:35:14 AM
And like Derry kicking everything to Paddy Bradley and him being surrounded
I think ye need to mix and match it.

Just reading through the Tyrone allstars there on wiki. Hard to believe Brian McGuigan only got 1 allstar the same as Davey Harte.

I see Brian is defending his actions in 2003 that Brolly accused him of diving.

Wonder can you get any of those full matches of Tyrone v Armagh with McGuigan Snr in full flow.

Just saw that. I don't think he said he was denying that he took a dive. He said he did what he did (i.e. took a dive) to get the free overturned or the ball thrown up, not to deliberately get McCartan sent off. He is refuting the reason he did it, not denying it.

His excuse is that referees send players off, not other players. Pathetic really.

Hardly pathetic, at the end of the day Brian McGuigan didn't flash the card or had no authority to do so.  Alot of players try and win a handy free and I would say that their main objective is simply that, to get a free and not to get a man sent off.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mr. Nakata

Red hands v mhaca. Spain v Italy. Trap's green machine v Croatia. That is a feast of sport on any given Sunday. Monday may well need to be booked off. The logistics is a feckin nightmare tho. Do you stay in red neds to celebrate humpin the mhaca and watch both games, or do you sacrafice the Spain Italy game to make it back to Belfast for the south's opener. Decisions decisions...

Fuzzman

I was making similar plans in my head myself Mr N.
I might not get to go at all with the wife due in July so she mightn't be chuffed me heading off for the afternoon to Armagh and then coming back home to announce the Ireland game is on as the kids go to bed.

I'll have to arrange something. Maybe the car could break down on the way home. Hmmmm.  :o

I can't say I have any memory of being in the Athletic grounds. I'd say its the only county ground I've not been to in Ulster.

Cold tea

You must be only in your twenties then.

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 17, 2012, 03:58:03 PM

I might not get to go at all with the wife due in July

Jaysus does thon woman ever get a rest atall?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

New childer need nappies - loads of them, so drop her off at Craigavon shopping centre on the way through, collect her on the way back, anything happens in the middle its only a painless 2 minute walk or 1 minute in a taxi. 

tonto1888

Living in England I didnt get to see much football this year, but from what I have read and heard from parents in Lurgan, I cant see Armagh winning this one sadly. A 5/6 point loss is what Im predicting

Fuzzman

She didn't like the nappy shopping idea rrhf

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2012, 10:41:39 AM
Living in England I didnt get to see much football this year, but from what I have read and heard from parents in Lurgan, I cant see Armagh winning this one sadly. A 5/6 point loss is what Im predicting

Armagh are a very difficult team to suss at the moment. The game is less than a month away and still nobody has seen Armagh's strongest team play. It all depends on what Armagh team show up and the opener for the Ulster championship is probably the best time to play Tyrone.

Fuzzman

Who was the last team ye lost to at home in the 1st round championship lads?

I think we are really short of score getters now tbh.
If Stevie & Mugsy stay fit and get good fast ball into them then we'll be fine but if those two are swallowed up then we resort to our rugby league style of play and we've got nobody to shoot from outside 40 yards where every team build their wall nowadays.

Penrose used to be one of our top scorers but in recent years he's more of a worker & tackler.
A lot of lads have been calling for Matthew Donnelly to be thrown in at FF so if Mickey resists the temptation to throw Sean in there then I'd be keen to see Donnelly in there.

For me Sean needs a central position and he needs to learn to vary his game much more. Ye always know what he's gonna do now unlike someone like Mugsy who can either shoot from anywhere or lift his head and pick out a pass.
I'd like to see Joey play at MF as we always concede that ground every game and it means we've to work twice as hard then to get the ball back. How would Cassidy do at FF. I know he's played there before.

armagho9

Quote from: BennyCake on May 16, 2012, 04:09:34 PM
Armagh beat Tyrone 5-9 to 1-9 in 1987, in Irvinestown.
Tyrone beat Armagh in 1988 at same venue.
In 1989, Armagh were 8 ahead, before Tyrone came back to win by a point. That was the day Mark Grimley caught everything, and also caught John Lynch's face with a haymaker in the tunnel.
Armagh won by a point in Armagh, 1990.
1993, Draw at Athletic Grounds. Armagh won replay in Omagh thanks to Houli's late goal.
Tyrone won by 2 goals in 1994 in Omagh.
Tyrone won again by 2 in 97, Matt NcGleenan getting a dubious late goal.

That's all I can remember from those years. Armagh haven't played Tyrone alot in the Athletic Grounds in recent years. That's probably why Tyrone haven't been them there in a while.

94 game, i think McQuillan and John Grimley were both sent off.  Was also the game Plunkett Donaghey scored a late goal after taking about 8 or 9 steps.  We were awful though that day and deserved to be well beaten.

97, McGleenon pushed (think it was Dominic Clarke) in the back when he jumped for the ball totally taking him out of the game then fisted to the net.  We had enough chances to win two games that day.  I remember a Tyrone defender kicking Houley in the face or chest when he went to get up of the ground.  Pascall McConnell nearly got knocked out i the warm up, took an awful whack to the face with the ball.  Think that was the game that was the start of a big improvement in Armagh football fter getting stuffed in 94 (Tyrone), 95 (Derry), 96 (Derry).  Younger players like McGrane, McConville were starting to really make an impact on the team.

regal

I see yesterdays Irish News reported that down beat Armagh 5-7 v 1-11 in a challenge game on Sunday. Does anyone know who improved their chances of starting against tyrone and who didn't.

I believe these matches are fairly meaningless and not a guide to championship form, however, given that we had probably 4/5 of ourfirst choice defenders on it is a bit worrying to be conceding 5 goals!

stew

Quote from: regal on May 22, 2012, 08:39:23 AM
I see yesterdays Irish News reported that down beat Armagh 5-7 v 1-11 in a challenge game on Sunday. Does anyone know who improved their chances of starting against tyrone and who didn't.

I believe these matches are fairly meaningless and not a guide to championship form, however, given that we had probably 4/5 of ourfirst choice defenders on it is a bit worrying to be conceding 5 goals!

The last Armagh team to concede 5 goals AFAIK in a game that matters was the 77 team, who lost to the Dubs in the AIF, this game they just played will have no bearing on the game in Armagh in early June.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

balladmaker

QuoteI see yesterdays Irish News reported that down beat Armagh 5-7 v 1-11 in a challenge game on Sunday. Does anyone know who improved their chances of starting against tyrone and who didn't.

Was at the game on Sunday evening at St. Paul's ... it was a half paced run out for both teams, nothing too serious to get hung up about, however, for some reason, I did leave with the opinion that the 2012 All Ireland Champions were not on view on Sunday evening. 

Then again, I was at a similar game in Dromore in 1994 and also left with the same opinion ... the rest is history.

trileacman

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 18, 2012, 11:58:35 AM
Who was the last team ye lost to at home in the 1st round championship lads?

I think we are really short of score getters now tbh.
If Stevie & Mugsy stay fit and get good fast ball into them then we'll be fine but if those two are swallowed up then we resort to our rugby league style of play and we've got nobody to shoot from outside 40 yards where every team build their wall nowadays.

Penrose used to be one of our top scorers but in recent years he's more of a worker & tackler.
A lot of lads have been calling for Matthew Donnelly to be thrown in at FF so if Mickey resists the temptation to throw Sean in there then I'd be keen to see Donnelly in there.

For me Sean needs a central position and he needs to learn to vary his game much more. Ye always know what he's gonna do now unlike someone like Mugsy who can either shoot from anywhere or lift his head and pick out a pass.
I'd like to see Joey play at MF as we always concede that ground every game and it means we've to work twice as hard then to get the ball back. How would Cassidy do at FF. I know he's played there before.

We need someone in there to win possession from long kicked ball, Donnelly is suitable but injury has intervened and the Armagh game might just be to early for him. Sean is the next option and could be better at it than a fully fit Matty, nothing to lose by putting him there. Cassidy is a MF, have seen him tried at FF for Tyrone, always with poor results.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014