European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

BT Sport was poor tonight.  Tried too hard with Balotelli and the likes.  He'd nothing to say. Really shut coverage. How do I unblock my RTE 2 signal so I can cancel my BT subscription?  Tonight was the final straw. Waste of money.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2023, 10:15:41 PM
But fair play rules are created to keep the big boys on top, if u got small support like say Forest ( who won 2 cups) they wouldn't be fit to win again without major backing.

Forest had major backing. They broke most of the transfer records under Clough. The wealthiest (non royal) family in England bankrolled Liverpool in the late 80's. It has always been like this but the difference is previously it was a local owner funding his local club.

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 11, 2023, 01:31:05 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2023, 10:15:41 PM
But fair play rules are created to keep the big boys on top, if u got small support like say Forest ( who won 2 cups) they wouldn't be fit to win again without major backing.

Forest had major backing. They broke most of the transfer records under Clough. The wealthiest (non royal) family in England bankrolled Liverpool in the late 80's. It has always been like this but the difference is previously it was a local owner funding his local club.
Forest was under a different economic system where money was limited. Players were local.  How many Brazilians did Clough buy? How many City players are English? 3?
Celtic also won the competition under the old system. Now it can't compete. Celtic's squad is worth less than 12% of Man City's.  Ajax won in the 70s. Now it's a feeder club.
Any time a challenger club comes up it is broken up.
There are no limits to money in the current system.
1992 was when soccer went neoliberal . Soccer has always revolved around money but the quantum of money makes a huge difference.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

Quote from: Sportacus on June 11, 2023, 12:55:07 AM
BT Sport was poor tonight.  Tried too hard with Balotelli and the likes.  He'd nothing to say. Really shut coverage. How do I unblock my RTE 2 signal so I can cancel my BT subscription?  Tonight was the final straw. Waste of money.

The worst bit was trying to build Joleon Lescott into being this lifelong City fan and club legend. The fella barely played 100 games for them and grew up in Birrmingham ffs. Commentary was painful throughout. At least that's Jake Humphrey away anyway. Maybe he can take Rio with him. Cesc and Balotelli have a better grasp of the English language than him. BT/TNT need to tear up the whole thing and start again.

Armamike

Quote from: JoG2 on June 10, 2023, 11:35:03 PM
Quote from: maldini on June 10, 2023, 11:26:34 PM
A busy thread tonight full of people who apparently don't care about City winning

It's a funny one, I don't watch much these days, didn't watch a minute of tonight's final, but if it was Liverpool, Arsenal, Utd etc I'd have tuned in. Zero interest in Man City. They were always going to win a CL and will go on to win many more.

That seems to be the thinking but I wouidn't say it's a given.  Lots of examples in the past of teams who didn't dominate.  They've had to work very hard to win this one.  They might add another 1 in the next 2 or 3 years but it's not the premier league and other sides will stand in their way. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

I'm sure Pep didn't imagine in 2011 that it would take him 12 years to win his next Champions League. He will appreciate this one.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 11, 2023, 01:07:06 PM
I'm sure Pep didn't imagine in 2011 that it would take him 12 years to win his next Champions League. He will appreciate this one.

It's been a tough journey with limited resources at Bayern Munich and Man City!

Mourne Red

Tbf to him Yaya Toure did put a curse on him until he cancelled it this year

maldini

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2023, 04:29:36 PM

Proving tough for some other clubs who have spent more than him to even win a carabao cup

RedHand88

Quote from: maldini on June 11, 2023, 04:57:45 PM

Proving tough for some other clubs who have spent more than him to even win a carabao cup

The illegal spending was done before the Guardiola years. The prep work was there.

maldini

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 11, 2023, 05:11:31 PM
Quote from: maldini on June 11, 2023, 04:57:45 PM

His net spend in the last 5 years is tenth in the premier league
Working miracles!

The illegal spending was done before the Guardiola years. The prep work was there.

bennydorano

The fact that Chelsea are one of the biggest proponents of FFP should tell you all you need to know about it, get into the castle and pull up the drawbridge behind you. The European Superleague should also make people think about what are the real motivations behind elite clubs. The more rich clubs the better imo. Newcastle Abu.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2023, 06:49:15 PM
The fact that Chelsea are one of the biggest proponents of FFP should tell you all you need to know about it, get into the castle and pull up the drawbridge behind you. The European Superleague should also make people think about what are the real motivations behind elite clubs. The more rich clubs the better imo. Newcastle Abu.

bennydorano

Captain Obvious

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2023, 07:05:17 PM
That's me told

Wasting ones time telling you anything when your mind is so influenced by gutter UK journalism and their rags of newspapers.