European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Nanderson on June 10, 2023, 10:06:47 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 10, 2023, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 10, 2023, 09:57:36 PM
Stumbled over the line. Will win more now
Newcastle signed a dodgy sponsorship deal for 31m on Friday as they emulate city in flouting the financial rules. The game is f**ked
Whats the difference in Mike Ashley plastering newcastle with sports direct sponsorship and Dave Whelan plastering wigan with DW sports and previously JJB sports sponsorship and the deals with city and newcastle. Only difference I can see is the amount of money involved in it
No difference except they are flouting the financial fair play rules. Over priced sponsorship money disguised as turnover to allow them spend more on players. Corporate boxes and executive suites selling for outragous sums - all part of cooking the books. There's a reason that city have over 100 charges hanging over them.

CK_Redhand

Remember the Super League plans from a couple of years ago... what if Saudi Arabia becomes the destination for talent (it's already started with retiring players). They could create a franchise outside of FIFA jurisdiction and kill the traditional club teams.

Capt Pat

Quote from: bennydorano on June 10, 2023, 09:43:53 PM
I assume Stones is injured or fucked as he was class. My MOTM
I thought Stones was shown to be out of his depth as a midfielder tonight. He is no attacking midfielder.

straightred

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2023, 10:09:11 PM
Sure Man Utd for years won leagues because they brought / outbid other clubs to pick up top players. They spend a fortune past 5yrs and got f**k all to show for it.
I'm no fan of theirs either but that was done within the Financial fair play rules. They have far far more legitimate turnover than city. Their revenue is accounted for.

From the Bunker

The nightmare for Man Utd is that City get to parade the 3 trophies in their home city.

straightred

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 10, 2023, 10:09:50 PM
Remember the Super League plans from a couple of years ago... what if Saudi Arabia becomes the destination for talent (it's already started with retiring players). They could create a franchise outside of FIFA jurisdiction and kill the traditional club teams.
thats the risk. Look at golf. The PGA caved in because, by their own admission, they coudln't afford to fight the case

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2023, 10:00:40 PM
City played poorly but still won, sign of a good team.
City's squad is worth twice Inter's.

Lukaku exemplifies this. It's all about money. Same as whenever Real win. It's impossible to imagine Ajax or Atletico or a team from Eastern Europe winning.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Christ, Ronnie Whelan!

bennydorano

Inter goalie looked top drawer, on the move by the sounds of it.

Wildweasel74

But fair play rules are created to keep the big boys on top, if u got small support like say Forest ( who won 2 cups) they wouldn't be fit to win again without major backing.

bennydorano

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2023, 10:15:41 PM
But fair play rules are created to keep the big boys on top, if u got small support like say Forest ( who won 2 cups) they wouldn't be fit to win again without major backing.
Correct, Martin Samuels in the UK Times has been going to town on FFP nonsense

straightred

I'm old school. I'd love to go back to one team per country in the european cup. Accepting that this cant happen I could accept the bigger clubs staying on top on the basis that there was enough of them. Now we have an elite few that are bank rolled by countries. PSG haven't managed to get it over the line but City have and I've no doubt Newcastle will push on next year.
Maybe the best solution would be a super league for the top 15 or 20 and let them at it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: bennydorano on June 10, 2023, 10:17:23 PM

Martin Samuel's and his rag of newspaper is well known for their nonsense.

straightred

Quote from: bennydorano on June 10, 2023, 10:17:23 PM
Ah stop.... red top garbage

Capt Pat

How close did Inter come to scoring with the last play of the game? They never showed a replay of it. I thought it was close.