European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Athletico Madrid used up all their good luck against Liverpool. Knocked out by a deflected goal tonight.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 13, 2020, 10:43:16 PM
Athletico Madrid used up all their good luck against Liverpool. Knocked out by a deflected goal tonight.

They won both legs against Liverpool, there was no luck in that surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Having two players test positive for covid had to upset Madrids preparation for that quarter final.

It's already some story for Leipzig even more so if go on to reach the final, only formed in 2009 and their first Bundesliga season was 2016–17. Just a shame their best forward jumped ship before this competition was over.

macdanger2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 14, 2020, 12:21:55 AM
Having two players test positive for covid had to upset Madrids preparation for that quarter final.

It's already some story for Leipzig even more so if go on to reach the final, only formed in 2009 and their first Bundesliga season was 2016–17. Just a shame their best forward jumped ship before this competition was over.

Do Leipzig not represent a lot of what's wrong with football though, formed in 2009 as you say but heavily backed by a corporation rather than by fans. Basically just a corporate entity

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 14, 2020, 12:49:55 AM

Do Leipzig not represent a lot of what's wrong with football though, formed in 2009 as you say but heavily backed by a corporation rather than by fans. Basically just a corporate entity
It does but sadly that's the way the sport has gone.

caprea

My advice would be to not give it much thought about who owns football clubs. The CL knockouts are the most enjoyable entertainment every single year. Just strap yourself in and enjoy the football.

This year won't be the best as there aren't enough English clubs who always guarantee the most entertainment. Athleti beating Liverpool was a bad result for the entertainment value.

I just want to see the English clubs plus Barca because they have the best player in the world, PSG because they have the second best player in the world and Juve because they have the third best player in the world. It's also nice when an exciting team like Ajax, Monaco or RB emerges.

Athleti are boring. Napoli are pointless because they lose in the round of 16 every year.

JoG2

Quote from: caprea on August 14, 2020, 02:10:51 AM
My advice would be to not give it much thought about who owns football clubs. The CL knockouts are the most enjoyable entertainment every single year. Just strap yourself in and enjoy the football.

This year won't be the best as there aren't enough English clubs who always guarantee the most entertainment. Athleti beating Liverpool was a bad result for the entertainment value.

I just want to see the English clubs plus Barca because they have the best player in the world, PSG because they have the second best player in the world and Juve because they have the third best player in the world. It's also nice when an exciting team like Ajax, Monaco or RB emerges.

Athleti are boring. Napoli are pointless because they lose in the round of 16 every year.

On paper maybe, that is until you watch 10 mins of a PSG, any Spanish or Portuguese club and the play acting, diving, cheating, feigning injury etc . Would drive you up the wall, grown men / contact sport ffs

Capt Pat

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2020, 11:22:45 PM

They were gifted 2 goals by Liverpool errors and would have been knocked out only for those errors. Liverpool won the second 90 minute match. It was in extra time that Athletico took advantage of a goalkeeping error to win the second leg.

gallsman

Quote from: JoG2 on August 14, 2020, 10:33:18 AM

On paper maybe, that is until you watch 10 mins of a PSG, any Spanish or Portuguese club and the play acting, diving, cheating, feigning injury etc . Would drive you up the wall, grown men / contact sport ffs

As opposed to all the lads at City, United, Liverpool etc who just fall over by accident all the time?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 14, 2020, 11:03:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2020, 11:22:45 PM

They were gifted 2 goals by Liverpool errors and would have been knocked out only for those errors. Liverpool won the second 90 minute match. It was in extra time that Athletico took advantage of a goalkeeping error to win the second leg.

Gifted or not, the game was won over 2 legs, personally I'm not a fan of AM style of play, everyone knows how it will go, but a lot of teams still get sucked in and AM are successful enough.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 14, 2020, 01:48:53 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 14, 2020, 12:49:55 AM

It does but sadly that's the way the sport has gone.
Not in Germany which is why they are so hated

gallsman

It's possible to be simultaneously both highly critical of the nature of the origin of Leipzig and admiring of their achievements to date. Really, Red Bull buying them is no worse than petro states buying PSG or City. Probably less worse given I don't think Red Bull are reviled for human rights abuses.

The football they is impressive, and a lot of that is down to Nagelsmann. Great story for him.

JoG2

Quote from: gallsman on August 14, 2020, 11:23:08 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 14, 2020, 10:33:18 AM

As opposed to all the lads at City, United, Liverpool etc who just fall over by accident all the time?

There's divers in all teams, I'd call any out on it, but the ones listed above are on a completely different level and imo makes the games completely unwatchable

quit yo jibbajabba

Neymar pretty much makes his games unwatchable for me.

English football bad for it but the continent still a lot worse imo

shark

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 14, 2020, 04:01:39 PM
Neymar pretty much makes his games unwatchable for me.

English football bad for it but the continent still a lot worse imo

They have a different attitude to it though, and don't see it as a real problem. A guy I once worked with was a referee in Serbia at amateur level. I had this discussion with him and he just couldn't see my perspective that diving was cheating and a blight on the game.