European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 01, 2020, 11:23:14 AM
Quote from: TabClear on May 01, 2020, 09:01:20 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2020, 01:11:08 AM
Footballers to be tested twice a week... some kick in the stones for NHS and essential workers who've been on the front line and struggled to get tests when needed!!!

Honestly can't see how this works safely!

That is ridiculous. Maybe the government thinks that by mid June testing availability will be "caught up" for the NHS etc and if that is the case fair enough but while I am all for the football starting again  there is no way it should be diverting testing from the frontline.

Football clubs will be paying a lot more per testing kit than the NHS will be, its not like there taking tests of the NHS unless you're suggesting football clubs should be funding testing kits for the NHS?

I don't think its the cost that would bother anyone, its the fact that they will be getting tests and other key workers, not just NHS are key workers, their employer wont be able to afford these tests you talk about.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

all for our enjoyment!?

Milltown Row2

How will the players get to these grounds if self isolating? Team bus would be daft, staying in hotels also not advised, Newcastle playing Southampton, would that be a flight or do they take the train?

Who gives the players their rubs before the game and after training, so many things just to play behind closed doors to playoff the season, seems extreme.

Is anyone actually missing it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Footballers to be tested twice a week... some kick in the stones for NHS and essential workers who've been on the front line and struggled to get tests when needed!!!

That is ridiculous. Maybe the government thinks that by mid June testing availability will be "caught up" for the NHS etc and if that is the case fair enough but while I am all for the football starting again  there is no way it should be diverting testing from the frontline.

Football clubs will be paying a lot more per testing kit than the NHS will be, its not like there taking tests of the NHS unless you're suggesting football clubs should be funding testing kits for the NHS?

Which lab will carry out the test? That's one of the issues with testing, not enough lab capacity.

angermanagement

Seen this on another site.

Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 12:09:53 PM
How will the players get to these grounds if self isolating? Team bus would be daft, staying in hotels also not advised, Newcastle playing Southampton, would that be a flight or do they take the train?

Who gives the players their rubs before the game and after training, so many things just to play behind closed doors to playoff the season, seems extreme.

Is anyone actually missing it?

The whole squad and back room teams will be isolated in hotels for the duration of the rest of the games, similar to what they would do at a World Cup. They would only mix with those within this group and travel to and from games together. I also read somewhere that journalists and other press, cameramen would also face the same situation.
That was never a square ball!!

TabClear

NO of course not. I just think its a pretty poor message to put out "we cant get enough kits to test our nurses but there are some available for footballers because they can afford to pay more". Its a slightly strange one  because I would generally be pretty capitalist in my views and generally have no issue in people who can afford it doing what they like with their money but this just feels different.

Milltown Row2

If that happens like that then brilliant that should be interesting, so non league through to PL will be run off same way I suppose ? Or is it purely elitist?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 02:05:06 PM
If that happens like that then brilliant that should be interesting, so non league through to PL will be run off same way I suppose ? Or is it purely elitist?

Apparently the EFL players have been told that their season is over, so yeah it looks like it is purely elitist. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1275913/EFL-players-season-likely-over-coronavirus-tests-Leeds-West-Brom-latest-news

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 01, 2020, 02:22:39 PM

Apparently the EFL players have been told that their season is over, so yeah it looks like it is purely elitist. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1275913/EFL-players-season-likely-over-coronavirus-tests-Leeds-West-Brom-latest-news

Unreal, so what is the point of this? Is it just to give Liverpool the title? They have won it and won it well, well they were winning it even slowing up. So no relegation or promotion for the likes of West Brom or Leeds?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: TabClear on May 01, 2020, 01:05:33 PM

NO of course not. I just think its a pretty poor message to put out "we cant get enough kits to test our nurses but there are some available for footballers because they can afford to pay more". Its a slightly strange one  because I would generally be pretty capitalist in my views and generally have no issue in people who can afford it doing what they like with their money but this just feels different.

There not a million miles away from testing 100,000 people a day, there's no excuse for anyone in the front line having access to a test by early June when the league may potentially start again.

trailer

A question that I haven't seen answered... is there any point in playing these games? Like who really cares? Like really really cares? The players? The Fans? The clubs? I'd say very few have any interest. Especially players who'll put in half arsed performances at best.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 01, 2020, 02:40:04 PM
Quote from: TabClear on May 01, 2020, 01:05:33 PM

There not a million miles away from testing 100,000 people a day, there's no excuse for anyone in the front line having access to a test by early June when the league may potentially start again.

doing 100000 tests and testing 100000 people is two different things.They're doing around 85000 tests now on around 50000 people, so still a long way to go.
nil satis nisi optimum

rodney trotter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 02:26:59 PM

Unreal, so what is the point of this? Is it just to give Liverpool the title? They have won it and won it well, well they were winning it even slowing up. So no relegation or promotion for the likes of West Brom or Leeds?

Money that's why. The Pl lose a lot from sponsorship if doesn't go ahead.

It was predicted last week UK will be worst hit by end of coronavirus, yet they are still foaming over resuming the PL.
They should take the hint from hint from France and cancel season. No Relegation, promote Leeds and West Brom and work out the fixture mess for next season, and relegate 5 teams for 2021 season

BennyHarp

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 01, 2020, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 02:26:59 PM

Money that's why. The Pl lose a lot from sponsorship if doesn't go ahead.

It was predicted last week UK will be worst hit by end of coronavirus, yet they are still foaming over resuming the PL.
They should take the hint from hint from France and cancel season. No Relegation, promote Leeds and West Brom and work out the fixture mess for next season, and relegate 5 teams for 2021 season

Yeah, I'd say the contract with Sky, BT and internationally will be the driving factor behind getting these games played. Also, I suppose the financial cost of clubs isolating whole squads and back room teams for a month or so would also mean that its only really feasible for the premier league clubs.