European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

PSG being crowned champions in France after their season was cancelled whilst other major European leagues about to be given the go-ahead to resume. Looking like Liverpool will be crowned Champions either way. Sparing a thought for the Null and Void brigade today, they must be hurting ;D ;D ;D

trailer

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 30, 2020, 12:12:04 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 30, 2020, 11:48:19 AM
Whatever about resuming the league in England, it'll be an awful spectacle. Liverpool if they win 2 games they're champions, are they gonna keep playing their best side? Keep trying? Same for mid table clubs with nothing to play for. It'll be terrible. Crown Liverpool champs and just scrap the rest of the games.

Liverpool are the Champions, I don't think anyone is going to argue that. It's everything else that follows is the problem. Liverpool fans go bananas and take to streets in and around Anfield once confirmed - which you would imagine they will, it'll be hard after whatever amount of years for them to restrain obviously it'll be social media led and nothing official.

Then you've the European spots to decide....So is the top 4, the top 4? Realistically....could anyone argue if that was kept? United were in a bit of form before the virus cancelled everything but I don't think they had been in top 4 at any point in season and they'd probably accept that knowing they are next in line should City actually get banned next year (I think it'll be frozen personally).

There is a European Spot at stake in the FA Cup which won't be finished, so that will appease the next in line, is that Wolves or Sheff Utd, not entirely sure.

Those in the middle....probably could be bought off, I understand each place in the EPL is worth X million...but surely that wouldn't be a problem for the majority of 8 to 14th.

The major problem is 20 to 15. That's a mess. I don't know how you could relegate any of them to be honest - Might be the better option for sake of bloodspill and long, long legal battles to bring up 3 and relegate 6 the next year then regulate as appropriate down?

That's all grand... until someone gets sick. Anyway I'd doubt a lot of the players actually care enough to really play the games with any sort of conviction. No matter if games are played or not, the season is a write off.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: trailer on April 30, 2020, 12:23:33 PM
Whatever about resuming the league in England, it'll be an awful spectacle. Liverpool if they win 2 games they're champions, are they gonna keep playing their best side? Keep trying? Same for mid table clubs with nothing to play for. It'll be terrible. Crown Liverpool champs and just scrap the rest of the games.

Liverpool are the Champions, I don't think anyone is going to argue that. It's everything else that follows is the problem. Liverpool fans go bananas and take to streets in and around Anfield once confirmed - which you would imagine they will, it'll be hard after whatever amount of years for them to restrain obviously it'll be social media led and nothing official.

Then you've the European spots to decide....So is the top 4, the top 4? Realistically....could anyone argue if that was kept? United were in a bit of form before the virus cancelled everything but I don't think they had been in top 4 at any point in season and they'd probably accept that knowing they are next in line should City actually get banned next year (I think it'll be frozen personally).

There is a European Spot at stake in the FA Cup which won't be finished, so that will appease the next in line, is that Wolves or Sheff Utd, not entirely sure.

Those in the middle....probably could be bought off, I understand each place in the EPL is worth X million...but surely that wouldn't be a problem for the majority of 8 to 14th.

The major problem is 20 to 15. That's a mess. I don't know how you could relegate any of them to be honest - Might be the better option for sake of bloodspill and long, long legal battles to bring up 3 and relegate 6 the next year then regulate as appropriate down?

That's all grand... until someone gets sick. Anyway I'd doubt a lot of the players actually care enough to really play the games with any sort of conviction. No matter if games are played or not, the season is a write off.

The cynic in me imagines they'll get a Pogba like hamstring strain at that stage and sit out a few months.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 30, 2020, 12:17:53 PM
PSG being crowned champions in France after their season was cancelled whilst other major European leagues about to be given the go-ahead to resume. Looking like Liverpool will be crowned Champions either way. Sparing a thought for the Null and Void brigade today, they must be hurting ;D ;D ;D

Should Liverpool be declared champions Twittersphere will explode with City, United and Everton fans...particularly the Everton ones!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2020, 12:34:54 PM

Should Liverpool be declared champions Twittersphere will explode with City, United and Everton fans...particularly the Everton ones!

No one wants to win it in a boardroom. If it's safe to play then play it, I'd like to see Liverpool win but I'd also like to see Leeds go up, they deserve it as much as Liverpool and so on through the leagues, problems being how will the players react to the inactivity the threat of catching the virus and possibly passing it on to someone in their family.

If it's deemed that they can play. so in effect back to work, I take it we'll all be back to work, the non essential workers?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

Hardly, Pubs, restaurants, gyms are none essential. They won't be opening anytime soon. Can't be comparing going back to work because the English want the league season complete. Even if does go ahead the players will be isolating.
And will be behind closed doors for a long time.

lurganblue

Which 3 go up?  Minefield that too. Leeds were 2nd this time last year and didn't go up.  30 odd points to play for in the championship I believe.  Impossible to predict that. As harsh as it is, I don't think you can promote any of them and I don't think any of the 3 can be relegated from the PL.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: lurganblue on April 30, 2020, 01:31:18 PM

Which 3 go up?  Minefield that too. Leeds were 2nd this time last year and didn't go up.  30 odd points to play for in the championship I believe.  Impossible to predict that. As harsh as it is, I don't think you can promote any of them and I don't think any of the 3 can be relegated from the PL.
Hahaha, do you support a team in the bottom 3 by any chance?

lurganblue

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 30, 2020, 01:35:26 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 30, 2020, 01:31:18 PM

Hahaha, do you support a team in the bottom 3 by any chance?

could you tell  :D

J70

Honestly cannot see football coming back before the autumn. Logistics of it are ridiculous. Many of these players are young family men. I'm sure many have vulnerable parents and in-laws depending on them also. How can they possibly be asked to seal themselves off for the 10-12 weeks it will take to run this off in the summer? And if a single player or staff member comes down with it?

To me, this looks like a "we're exhausting every last option" ploy before they give in to the inevitable and come up with a non-playing solution.

trailer

Gary Neville tweeting June the 8th restart...

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2020, 01:45:19 PM
Honestly cannot see football coming back before the autumn. Logistics of it are ridiculous. Many of these players are young family men. I'm sure many have vulnerable parents and in-laws depending on them also. How can they possibly be asked to seal themselves off for the 10-12 weeks it will take to run this off in the summer? And if a single player or staff member comes down with it?

To me, this looks like a "we're exhausting every last option" ploy before they give in to the inevitable and come up with a non-playing solution.
The way I see it is this season is the 2019/20 season, while it's still 2020 then this season should be finished before next one starts.
If it is safe enough to start next season in 2020 then it will be safe enough to finish this one first.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: laoislad on April 30, 2020, 01:58:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2020, 01:45:19 PM

The way I see it is this season is the 2019/20 season, while it's still 2020 then this season should be finished before next one starts.
If it is safe enough to start next season in 2020 then it will be safe enough to finish this one first.

That would be my view also. Finish it in the early autumn. Take a break, then start the next season and proceed as the second wave, if any, allows.

Unfortunately, most people seem to be leaning towards what is likely to be two broken seasons.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 30, 2020, 01:00:45 PM
Hardly, Pubs, restaurants, gyms are none essential. They won't be opening anytime soon. Can't be comparing going back to work because the English want the league season complete. Even if does go ahead the players will be isolating.
And will be behind closed doors for a long time.

I'd put football as non essential so I can't see it starting and other non essential jobs not starting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2020, 12:34:54 PM

U think so? I honestly don't think people are that arsed. Barring a bit of milage in telling Liverpool ones they didn't "really" win it and the gloating, deservedly so, of Liverpool fans it'll be a tame enough affair.