European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I have to say I think it's getting less likely there will be football anywhere at this stage until a new season starts whenever that might be!

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Boycey on April 28, 2020, 04:46:55 PM
I have to say I think it's getting less likely there will be football anywhere at this stage until a new season starts whenever that might be!

Looks that way alright.

TabClear

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 28, 2020, 05:18:17 PM
Quote from: Boycey on April 28, 2020, 04:46:55 PM

Looks that way alright.

The only chance the Pl has is seeing how Germany get on. If they can make it work there is a chance that it goes ahead in a compressed timeline. However, Germany are way ahead of the UK in testing, preparation etc so even if the Bundesliga managed to make it work, I would not be confident the PL would be able to replicate.

I would not be surprised if the league officials just wanted to get a few rounds played, give Liverpool the chance to get the 2 wins they need, get all clubs on the same number of games played and then call it a day if any issues crop up with Liverpool declared champs, placings at the top decided on standings and no relegation. WBA/Leeds promoted and a 22 game season next year with no league cup, more midweek games etc.

Not ideal and there will always be the risk of legal challenge on the borderline cases on European qualification etc but it would address the UEFA directive to determine positions on sporting merit (albeit that requirements looks to be disappearing fast).   

Boycey

Not sure if this was posted here already and it is concerned with US sport but the principle is similar. The logistics just seem too difficult to me

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

J70

As I said on the premier league thread last week, they're literally going to have to sequester everyone involved for two months to finish the English league. Along with all the regular testing.

Maybe the league will partner privately with some lab, but I'm skeptical its going to happen.

If it were up to me, I'd say f**k it until August, hope that things are settled down, then run it off before the second wave hits in the autumn.

But, it appears they'll be forced to cancel and hope, vainly IMO, to start the new season in September.

Milltown Row2

Finish the league with the current standings, job done, whoever is in promotion places are promoted and whoever is in relegation places is relegated.

Pointless trying to keep everyone happy, whether there is leg room within the rules to initiate that is the crux
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52462233

Its going more and more towards a cancelled season as each day.

All eyes will be on Germany who start  the weekend after next.

The issue the PL has is the government in Germany have done an infinitely better job of handling this pandemic than the idiots in London - if there was a priority of players/playing staff getting PPE equipment, given how things currently are in the UK, there would be uproar (and rightly so).

Liverpool fans will be rightly disappointed

Boycey

The Germans are very usually very decisive in their actions and there was talk yesterday of the virus reproduction rate creeping back towards 1. Add to that the FIFA doctor's comments yesterday it would hardly be a surprise to see it pull back from restarting..

J70

Quote from: Taylor on April 29, 2020, 08:06:47 AM

The issue the PL has is the government in Germany have done an infinitely better job of handling this pandemic than the idiots in London - if there was a priority of players/playing staff getting PPE equipment, given how things currently are in the UK, there would be uproar (and rightly so).

Seriously doubt if they'll just void it though.

Whether they choose ppg or whatever, Liverpool will still most likely be EPL champions.

And deservedly so.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2020, 12:41:16 PM

Whether they choose ppg or whatever, Liverpool will still most likely be EPL champions.

And deservedly so.

It be like the kids that didn't get to go their exams, predicted grades, they've just got that question mark
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2020, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2020, 12:41:16 PM

And deservedly so.

It be like the kids that didn't get to go their exams, predicted grades, they've just got that question mark

In the case of Liverpool winning the league, the question mark or asterisk would be fairly meaningless for any honest person, even if we'd all obviously much prefer that the season was played out.

Gabriel_Hurl

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52443197

QuoteLa Liga is working towards its clubs returning to training as soon as possible after being given the green light by the Spanish government.

Geoff Tipps

PSG crowned champions in France.

trailer

Whatever about resuming the league in England, it'll be an awful spectacle. Liverpool if they win 2 games they're champions, are they gonna keep playing their best side? Keep trying? Same for mid table clubs with nothing to play for. It'll be terrible. Crown Liverpool champs and just scrap the rest of the games.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: trailer on April 30, 2020, 11:48:19 AM
Whatever about resuming the league in England, it'll be an awful spectacle. Liverpool if they win 2 games they're champions, are they gonna keep playing their best side? Keep trying? Same for mid table clubs with nothing to play for. It'll be terrible. Crown Liverpool champs and just scrap the rest of the games.

Liverpool are the Champions, I don't think anyone is going to argue that. It's everything else that follows is the problem. Liverpool fans go bananas and take to streets in and around Anfield once confirmed - which you would imagine they will, it'll be hard after whatever amount of years for them to restrain obviously it'll be social media led and nothing official.

Then you've the European spots to decide....So is the top 4, the top 4? Realistically....could anyone argue if that was kept? United were in a bit of form before the virus cancelled everything but I don't think they had been in top 4 at any point in season and they'd probably accept that knowing they are next in line should City actually get banned next year (I think it'll be frozen personally).

There is a European Spot at stake in the FA Cup which won't be finished, so that will appease the next in line, is that Wolves or Sheff Utd, not entirely sure.

Those in the middle....probably could be bought off, I understand each place in the EPL is worth X million...but surely that wouldn't be a problem for the majority of 8 to 14th.

The major problem is 20 to 15. That's a mess. I don't know how you could relegate any of them to be honest - Might be the better option for sake of bloodspill and long, long legal battles to bring up 3 and relegate 6 the next year then regulate as appropriate down?