The Bloody Friday Massacres - 21st July, 1972

Started by Evil Genius, July 21, 2012, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

"No Republican was prepared to appear on this programme"

For the 40th Anniversary of Bloody Friday, BBC NI has produced a 1 hour documentary on the atrocity. Unfortunately I believe BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK, since I feel this should be compulsory viewing for every Irish person, tough going though it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kxsxn/Bloody_Friday/
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

I think it says a lot about the BBCs attitude that programmes such as this of general interest to discourse in this island are restricted in this way, although there are no Hollywood rights or the like involved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Do they intend doing a follow up on this programme, perhaps enlightening people on what happened on 17 May 1974, the day with the most casualties in that particular conflict?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2012, 06:04:23 PM
I think it says a lot about the BBCs attitude that programmes such as this of general interest to discourse in this island are restricted in this way, although there are no Hollywood rights or the like involved.
I'm not sure that from the thousands of programmes they make every year, they can easily pick and choose which individual programmes might be of interest to particular markets etc (though personally I'd just love this to be shown in the United States, in particular).

Anyhow, if you are in Armagh/UK, do you have any comments on the programme?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 21, 2012, 06:18:00 PM
Do they intend doing a follow up on this programme, perhaps enlightening people on what happened on 17 May 1974, the day with the most casualties in that particular conflict?
No idea, but I suspect we may have to wait until 17 May 2014 to know.

In the meantime, if you're still in Liverpool and so can access iPlayer, do you have any comments on the programme?

Or do you just prefer to indulge in "Whataboutery"?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

QuoteI'm not sure they can pick and choose through all the thousands of programmes they make every year which individual programmes might be of interest to particular markets etc

They can. All locally produced NI programmes, news, documentaries, sports etc should be  made available in the ROI. Not rocket science. Their present policy is simply a "couldn't be arsed" response to any different needs in NI.

QuoteAnyhow, if you are in Armagh/UK, do you have any comments on the programme?

I do not reside in Armagh and cannot see the programme.

Rossfan

Perhaps it could be shown in Great Britain to educate the people there about the activities of their Government in murdering the Citizens of a fellow EU member State.
A Government who won't co operate with or make documents available to an Enquiry.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2012, 06:49:05 PM
QuoteI'm not sure they can pick and choose through all the thousands of programmes they make every year which individual programmes might be of interest to particular markets etc

They can. All locally produced NI programmes, news, documentaries, sports etc should be  made available in the ROI. Not rocket science. Their present policy is simply a "couldn't be arsed" response to any different needs in NI.
Why? Should the BBC make an exception for one country out of 200+? Are they Licence payers?

Would RTE and the commercial channels be happy for a Broadcaster in another jurisdiction to take viewers away from their own programming?

Do you know the technical feasibility and legal implications of doing this?

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2012, 06:49:05 PM
Their present policy is simply a "couldn't be arsed" response to any different needs in NI.
Eh? That doesn't make any sense.

All "needs" in NI, "different" or otherwise, have access to BBC iPlayer. Plus the original programme itself, of course.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2012, 08:50:17 PM
Perhaps it could be shown in Great Britain to educate the people there about the activities of their Government in murdering the Citizens of a fellow EU member State.
A Government who won't co operate with or make documents available to an Enquiry.
More "Whataboutery", then.

Meanwhile, with 170 Views to date, at least some of which must come from NI/GB, and no Republican on here is prepared to comment on this programme...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

QuoteWhy? Should the BBC make an exception for one country out of 200+? Are they Licence payers?

Don't always be obtuse, EG. No need to be a WUM all of the time.

QuoteDo you know the technical feasibility and legal implications of doing this?

There are none, as you well know.

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 21, 2012, 09:24:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2012, 08:50:17 PM
More "Whataboutery", then.

"Whataboutery~" - the great escape word for Unionists who want to avoid all those inconvenient truths eh ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Windmill abu

QuoteFor the 40th Anniversary of Bloody Friday, BBC NI has produced a 1 hour documentary on the atrocity. Unfortunately I believe BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK, since I feel this should be compulsory viewing for every Irish person, tough going though it is.

why every Irish person?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Oraisteach

Why do you seek the opinions of Armagh board members in particular?

I can't access the video, though I do recall the horrific day itself.

I don't entirely subscribe to your distaste for whataboutery.  Yes, it often seeks to shift focus from the question at hand, but sometimes it serves to expose hypocrisy.  e.g. like someone voicing horror at murder while at the same time expressing satisfaction with the outcome of that very action as in the Finucane case.

Minder

Oraisteach - This is in the public consciousness because it is the 40th anniversary today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"