Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

In terms of pure aesthetics Shane Walsh is the most natural talent in the game but doesn't always deliver the performance that his talent deserves. He reminds me of a more powerful athletic version of Maurice Fitz. Today he stood up in a big way for Galway and was immense despite being faced with Kerry's best defender.

Clifford doesn't look as natural but he is more effective and has no real obvious weakness. He has everything you would look for in a Gaelic footballer and could go on to be the best ever. However he is 23 years old and has so much more to be achieved before he can be put in that category. But yet again he stood up and was counted when needed. It was very hard to separate those 2 players today but I'd have to give MOTM to Clifford for no other reason that he was on the winning side. Notable mention to McDaid as well who was excellent.

guevara

First half was poor. Littered with mistakes and defensive blocks from both teams.
Stephen O'Brien was crucial to Kerry breaking lines and getting scores.

Clifford half fit makes it look so easy! Kerry deserved it.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

thewobbler

As good as Walsh was today - and he was surreally brilliant, maybe among the top 5 AI final performances I've ever seen - if anyone describes his performance as streets ahead of Clifford, it's only because they're marking Clifford by a different criteria.

The difference between the teams was David Clifford. It's not more complicated than that. He was outstanding.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2022, 06:23:23 PM
As good as Walsh was today - and he was surreally brilliant, maybe among the top 5 AI final performances I've ever seen - if anyone describes his performance as streets ahead of Clifford, it's only because they're marking Clifford by a different criteria.

The difference between the teams was David Clifford. It's not more complicated than that. He was outstanding.

He was brilliant for 50 minutes but faded in the latter stages apart from hitting a crucial free to put them 1 up. I don't know if he is fully fit but he done the same against Dublin and looked gassed towards the end.

yellowcard

Quote from: Tubberman on July 24, 2022, 06:32:58 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 06:11:15 PM
In terms of pure aesthetics Shane Walsh is the most natural talent in the game but doesn't always deliver the performance that his talent deserves. He reminds me of a more powerful athletic version of Maurice Fitz. Today he stood up in a big way for Galway and was immense despite being faced with Kerry's best defender.

Clifford doesn't look as natural but he is more effective and has no real obvious weakness. He has everything you would look for in a Gaelic footballer and could go on to be the best ever. However he is 23 years old and has so much more to be achieved before he can be put in that category. But yet again he stood up and was counted when needed. It was very hard to separate those 2 players today but I'd have to give MOTM to Clifford for no other reason that he was on the winning side. Notable mention to McDaid as well who was excellent.

Clifford doesn't look natural!? what are you smoking!? that fella is pure class, best I've ever seen.

Except I didn't say that, I was simply comparing him to Walsh. Clifford has an awkward unorthodox running style and is not as aesthetically natural looking as say Walsh or Maurice Fitz. I wouldn't argue that he is a better all round player than either though, the lad is a colossus.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on July 24, 2022, 06:04:27 PM
Not to be today. Our lads gave everything they had and it wasn't quite enough.
I couldn't be prouder of that team.
Gaillimh Abu.
The absent players including Michael Daly could have made a difference. Peace talks plus a few new lads from the League and a fresh assault next year might be on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Red

Has there been a better performance from a losing player than Shane Walsh?

RedHand88

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 24, 2022, 07:07:43 PM

Canavan got 11 points in 95.

yellowcard

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 24, 2022, 07:07:43 PM

No, not that I can remember.

general_lee

Hard luck Galway. Kerry deserving winners but Galway were unfortunate. Think ref was fair enough, the free in against Daly was bang on correct, 99% or the time the benefit is given to the defender but technically the right call - just a sickener to give it away having just turned the ball over beforehand. Definitely changed the momentum of the game and Kerry just kicked on after it.

Turf

gallsman

Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 06:11:15 PM

Quite a statement. I'm not sure I've ever seen a footballer as natural. Everything seems so languid and easy to him. It's like talking about somebody with a perfect golf swing, but they could play both left and right handed.

Mario

Everyone talking about the Daly incident but an equally big call was the free to Galway for the shoulder. Kerry were starting to take control at that point and then Galway scored the free and got the equaliser. Was never a free, great shoulder.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mario on July 24, 2022, 08:03:34 PM
Everyone talking about the Daly incident but an equally big call was the free to Galway for the shoulder. Kerry were starting to take control at that point and then Galway scored the free and got the equaliser. Was never a free, great shoulder.

Agree, I thought it was a great shoulder myself. Swings and roundabouts and all that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.