Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I doubt if any Ref would consider using the advantage rule where a player is flattened by a foul.
Black card is for specified offences.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lucifer

If we take the infamous Conor McManus/Sean Cavanagh incident, the same will happen now regardless of the black card?  I always felt it would be beneficial to allow the fouled player to still be allowed to fist pass the ball, with no restriction on distance.  Obviously there will be an outcry at the reduction of the sacred kickpass, but it could be restricted to frees inside attacking 21.  Any further interference with the player results in a penalty.  Conor McManus could conceivably have got up and laid the ball off to an incoming player and still had a goal chance.  The same goes for a mark too, why not allow a player to lay off to an in rushing player even if they have called the mark?  Is a kicked 15 yard free really that precious?

Also why do we not allow quick frees from the 13?  What purpose does that serve other than to benefit someone who has committed a foul?  I don't see why we should be giving the defence time to get back to the line, that is merely an incentive to foul.  Drop that rule altogether imo.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on July 29, 2022, 11:19:04 AM
I genuinely don't know this so perhaps one of the refs could clarify: is the advantage rule just for attacking forwards? And if not is it at the refs discretion? Or should it always be given when it's clear there is an advantage.

Scenario: ball played in long with the game in the balance, full back of chasing team catches it, no defensive mark called by ref, fullback wouldn't have called it anyway as he'd acres of space to launch a counter attack, forward lazily fouls as full back breaks away. No advantage given when it was clear there was one to be given...  instead ref blows to bring it back for a free out, full back was well on his way down the pitch, verbal remonstration and subsequent hopball given on 21m line (Other team win hop ball and get an easy point)

Advantage rule is for every part of the pitch, its always been at the discretion of the ref, its only clear at times and he's only allowed 5 seconds (well his 5 seconds)

In your scenario the fullback claimed the defensive mark? or the ref just didn't blow his whistle for it?  The ref will or should blow for every mark, whoever catches it doesnt have to put his hand up and players in that case can't tackle for at least 4 seconds or if claimed he's 15 seconds to play it. If a player is fouled in defence most ref's will blow, I suppose the easiest thing to do is hand up and see what develops , but if he's in the square and is fouled then this acres of space is a full length run up the pitch, the ref would be dammed if he lost possession and they turned over ball and scored.

The only problem with this is the discipline of the defender at the ref, stupid and can't be tolerated
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lucifer on July 29, 2022, 02:34:18 PM
If we take the infamous Conor McManus/Sean Cavanagh incident, the same will happen now regardless of the black card?  I always felt it would be beneficial to allow the fouled player to still be allowed to fist pass the ball, with no restriction on distance.  Obviously there will be an outcry at the reduction of the sacred kickpass, but it could be restricted to frees inside attacking 21.  Any further interference with the player results in a penalty.  Conor McManus could conceivably have got up and laid the ball off to an incoming player and still had a goal chance.  The same goes for a mark too, why not allow a player to lay off to an in rushing player even if they have called the mark?  Is a kicked 15 yard free really that precious?

Also why do we not allow quick frees from the 13?  What purpose does that serve other than to benefit someone who has committed a foul?  I don't see why we should be giving the defence time to get back to the line, that is merely an incentive to foul.  Drop that rule altogether imo.

When did this become a thing? ref blows whistle, he doesn't need to blow it again and if players are back 13 meters from kick then whats the problem with taking a 'quick' free if these are met?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lucifer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 02:59:26 PM

When did this become a thing? ref blows whistle, he doesn't need to blow it again and if players are back 13 meters from kick then whats the problem with taking a 'quick' free if these are met?

It's always been a thing;

2.6 With the Referee's consent, a free kick may be taken immediately.
  Exceptions:
  A penalty kick and a free kick awarded to a team from their opponents' 13m line.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lucifer on July 29, 2022, 03:50:01 PM

Exceptions:
  A penalty kick and a free kick awarded to a team from their opponents' 13m line.

I never did, in fairness most teams defence will crowd round and restrict that from happening.. Though I can see what this means, all players must be 13 meters away from play, as I said in my post above if all players are 13 meters away there is no reason to stop it being played (in my view I'm right lol)

I'd given a free last night on the D one lad gave a bit of verbal's and I brought the ball forward the player had a free shot on goal as he was taking it quick, missed an open net!!

Lucifer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 03:59:27 PM

Exceptions:

I never did, in fairness most teams defence will crowd round and restrict that from happening.. Though I can see what this means, all players must be 13 meters away from play, as I said in my post above if all players are 13 meters away there is no reason to stop it being played (in my view I'm right lol)

I'd given a free last night on the D one lad gave a bit of verbal's and I brought the ball forward the player had a free shot on goal as he was taking it quick, missed an open net!!

The 13m away from a free is pretty much ignored everywhere else on the field.  The obvious example, and one which occurs repeatedly in every game, is a player fouled who takes the free immediately.  That is never pulled back to allow the fouler to retreat sufficient distance (thankfully!)  In the instance of a 13M free, it isn't really a factor because the referee just waits for everyone to get back on the line (which essentially delivers the ruling of "no quick free.")  Why give the defensive team control over that scenario in this way?  It promotes fouling.  It promotes players crowding around the freetaker (which incidentally should be penalised.)  If a player can take a quick 13M free, and the outcome for obstructing that is a penalty, would it not help discourage the foul in the first place?

With your scenario above, a quick free was entirely fine unless you brought it up to the 13M line, in which case he must have gave you a right good mouthful because that's over 20M  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lucifer on July 29, 2022, 04:20:38 PM

Exceptions:

The 13m away from a free is pretty much ignored everywhere else on the field.  The obvious example, and one which occurs repeatedly in every game, is a player fouled who takes the free immediately.  That is never pulled back to allow the fouler to retreat sufficient distance (thankfully!)  In the instance of a 13M free, it isn't really a factor because the referee just waits for everyone to get back on the line (which essentially delivers the ruling of "no quick free.")  Why give the defensive team control over that scenario in this way?  It promotes fouling.  It promotes players crowding around the freetaker (which incidentally should be penalised.)  If a player can take a quick 13M free, and the outcome for obstructing that is a penalty, would it not help discourage the foul in the first place?

With your scenario above, a quick free was entirely fine unless you brought it up to the 13M line, in which case he must have gave you a right good mouthful because that's over 20M  ;D

Remember the ref decides what 13 meters is and how long 5 seconds are lol

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

delgany

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 04, 2022, 06:31:35 PM
OK, this is for football. A player is in possession bearing down towards his opponents goal, as he does so the opposition goalkeeper throws his kicking tee towards the player in possession in an attempt to put him off. Goalkeeper is standing in the penalty area but outside the small "square" when he flings the kicking tee. Any foul/punishment?

It could be a a category 4  infraction ' inflcting injury in a reckless manner' - red card and two match ban !

Milltown Row2

I've seen sand being thrown into the eyes of an attacking player.. the lad chased the goalkeeper around the pitch blindly as he was trying to get sand out of his eyes!

Penalty and yellow card...

It's not a technical foul which would be just a 14 yard free

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 08:52:39 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on July 29, 2022, 04:20:38 PM

Exceptions:

Remember the ref decides what 13 meters is and how long 5 seconds are lol

The 5 sec rule needs to go as well in my opinion, should be like soccer and just if the play continues then that's it. Most frustrating thing in football player fouled the ref has the hand up the player slips the ball on to a team mate who then 2 secs later blazes it wide or defender makes a cracking tackle and it's pulled back for a foul. So frustrating. If the player fouled completes a pass to a team mate then the advantage should be over.

Milltown Row2

Personally I prefer the 'slow' whistle from back in the day, the player was 'given' an extra few steps to get away from the illegal tackle

Smokin Joe

Was at a game yesterday where a forward took a mark (he put his hand up).  He very quickly played a foot pass to his teammate who scored a goal.
The ref disallowed the goal and gave a hop ball, so I presume he must have decided that the player "played through" the mark after signalling that he was going to take it.

Was he right to disallow the score?

Even if you take a mark you can play a kickpass.  Surely the ref can't have said that the pass was taken too quickly?
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the pass didn't go 13m.  Does a pass after a mark have to go at least 13m?