Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiff breeze

I get that entirely , but also not all good county players become good managers either. I'd said only interested parties would be nominated too so not asking anyone to leave a team that didn't want to  . Maybe it was an ideal world suggestion but I genuinely would like to know how it currently works

terrifictommy

Yep agree on that too. It's important that the right coach is found, the age group of minor can be pivotal for both club and senior levels for years to come

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 19, 2022, 10:12:56 AM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on July 19, 2022, 06:47:51 AM
Quote from: stiff breeze on July 19, 2022, 12:31:49 AM
It should be someone with a good record of working with youth teams of a similar age at either club or county level. Surely clubs who had interested parties could nominate someone and then begin a whittling down process based on results and reports etc . There would always be a few delusional characters putting their names forward but surely these could be quickly weeded out by a panel and use an interview process for the final 10 names .

Is the main way we get these managers currently through them being involved in the county underage setups?

No. It's usually through being involved with Burren or QUB!

#TheDownWay

You should put your name forward for the county executive in DEC

Maybe I already have!

Just maybe you & I have chatted in the busy bee or another local hostelry!

Perhaps as my name suggests I'm the kind of individual who would feed you some of the things you post here.

Just maybe.

Johnnysboys

It should be someone with a good record of working with youth teams of a similar age at either club or county level. Surely clubs who had interested parties could nominate someone and then begin a whittling down process based on results and reports etc . There would always be a few delusional characters putting their names forward but surely these could be quickly weeded out by a panel and use an interview process for the final 10 names .

Is the main way we get these managers currently through them being involved in the county underage setups?

Surely minor age group is best suited to a teacher. They work with this age group regularly, have an overspill of players each year and new faces too. They are accustomed to dealing with parents, players expectations, pitching the level of training as well as organising.

Cathal Murray would be my choice with Dan Gordan, Benny Coulter, Niall McAleenan and Aidan Fegan. A good balance of south/east and mid down.
Good coaches in the mix and with Cathal as the lead - young lads would have buyin as they know his record.

People might say he wudn be interested in the role / but make it appealing. How come Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Derry, etc etc can get all the best people in the correct places in their counties but we can't??

upandwin

Cathal Murray leading those men is like getting Jesus and the Apostles to Follow Judas at the helm. I've heard it all now. Stop the bus, I'm getting off

Truth hurts

Criteria for Jobs in Down- South Down, Ex Queens, Ex St Colmans, Burren connection.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Johnnysboys on July 19, 2022, 09:25:33 PM

Surely minor age group is best suited to a teacher. They work with this age group regularly, have an overspill of players each year and new faces too. They are accustomed to dealing with parents, players expectations, pitching the level of training as well as organising.

Cathal Murray would be my choice with Dan Gordan, Benny Coulter, Niall McAleenan and Aidan Fegan. A good balance of south/east and mid down.
Good coaches in the mix and with Cathal as the lead - young lads would have buyin as they know his record.

People might say he wudn be interested in the role / but make it appealing. How come Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Derry, etc etc can get all the best people in the correct places in their counties but we can't??

This gets better and better.
Every year without fail we have serious entertainment in here when it comes to managerial selections. Brilliant stuff. Keep it going

manwithnoplan

Not all good youth coaches are teachers, and not all teachers are good youth coaches. That is absurd criteria to base it on.

Truth hurts

Joe McCann principal of the Red high should get it, go higher than a teacher Sean Og LOL

marty34

Quote from: manwithnoplan on July 20, 2022, 01:14:00 PM

Not all good youth coaches are teachers, and not all teachers are good youth coaches. That is absurd criteria to base it on.

Just need to be a person person.

Whether that makes a teacher better qualified than anybody else is debateable.

Can they manage people is the key question?

Truth hurts

Donegal seniors are on the hunt as well
I am glad we learnt from our mistakes from 2021

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 20, 2022, 03:18:41 PM

They're going to keep McCartan, cheap option

Lotto

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 20, 2022, 09:19:05 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on July 20, 2022, 03:18:41 PM

They're going to keep McCartan, cheap option

The Down Way!

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 20, 2022, 12:23:00 PM
Criteria for Jobs in Down- South Down, Ex Queens, Ex St Colmans, Burren connection.

Take Murray out of the equation then and have Gordon leading the charge. Not from Burren, St Colmans, Queens or South Down. Is that good enough for you?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Johnnysboys on July 20, 2022, 10:41:23 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on July 20, 2022, 12:23:00 PM

Take Murray out of the equation then and have Gordon leading the charge. Not from Burren, St Colmans, Queens or South Down. Is that good enough for you?

Still playing division 1 football, has a young family & full time job, no coaching experience outside of school.

Probably not a candidate  for the main man role.