Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

As usual, the team that goes first wins the shoot-out. Delighted for wpt; john Boyle was immense, both during the game and in the shoot-out. Wpt keeper a big loss for the final (injured after saving the first pen)

Mourne Red

Gutted but well done to Warrenpoint.. Don't think we done much wrong to not come out with a place in the final but then again same could be said about CPN. Hearts still going mad after the penalties, some of those Point pens no keeper was getting to them

DanTheMan12

Now it's time for 14 men behind the ball for 60 minutes ..

Johnnysboys

What a result. County final again - there will be no mistake this time. Hollo and polie are legends. Worth every penny and still £500 per week cheaper than McAleenan.

charlieTully

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 02, 2022, 07:09:14 PM
What a result. County final again - there will be no mistake this time. Hollo and polie are legends. Worth every penny and still £500 per week cheaper than McAleenan.

Fair play. Well done. Got to feel for island. Nothing between the teams.

befair

Tedious stuff tonight; you'd wonder why the Bridge even bothered to turn up, as all they did was pass the ball sideways for the whole game

stiff breeze

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2022, 04:24:28 PM
There's been a whiff of the Tyrone championship about this year's SFC (at least since the rubbish back door nonsense ended anyway ).

Here's hoping for a surprise end winner too.

In what way ? It feels like another procession

thebar

Not joking I think I could train an outfit to score more than 4 points in a game...honestly!

thewobbler

Quote from: stiff breeze on October 02, 2022, 08:55:06 PM
There's been a whiff of the Tyrone championship about this year's SFC (at least since the rubbish back door nonsense ended anyway ).

Penalty kicks to stay in a championship ain't no procession.

It's been a good championship.

Tonight's game was shite, no doubt. But what to do? Try to take Kilcoo to a coin toss and they always call the right side. Clonduff's near win means we will all keep trying it for another year or two at least. Sooner or later one of the better sides will unearth a superstar and it'll change.

urbangael

Mayobridge are probably out the guts of 60k with that mgt team to serve up that muck. I'm sure Mickey Linden and Tom O'Hare are delighted!! Ffs have a go at it and if you're beat so be it. Played totally into the hands of Kilcoo and the neutrals were served up a bore.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: charlieTully on October 02, 2022, 07:17:37 PM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 02, 2022, 07:09:14 PM

Fair play. Well done. Got to feel for island. Nothing between the teams.
Totally agree. I feel sorry for Loughinisland. Nothing between the teams on the night. But delighted for CPN. What can you say about John Boyle ? 5 perfect pens (last 2 matches)  and a pen save !!

Kong King

Quote from: urbangael on October 02, 2022, 09:08:54 PM
Mayobridge are probably out the guts of 60k with that mgt team to serve up that muck. I'm sure Mickey Linden and Tom O'Hare are delighted!! Ffs have a go at it and if you're beat so be it. Played totally into the hands of Kilcoo and the neutrals were served up a bore.

Imagine having the belief that you could hold onto the ball long enough to keep Kilcoo at bay. Probably the worst attempt by a team to reach a final in any sport that I have ever seen. Dreadful.

Johnnysboys

Will Poacher get to stay? Clarke gone to the county - will they want another season of that muck though?

stiff breeze

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2022, 09:04:49 PM

Tonight's game was shite, no doubt. But what to do? Try to take Kilcoo to a coin toss and they always call the right side. Clonduff's near win means we will all keep trying it for another year or two at least. Sooner or later one of the better sides will unearth a superstar and it'll change.

Depends what their target is at the start of the year .If it's to Scrape through Down to peak at ulster and all Ireland then I'd say they are right on track . It's been a dire championship to watch , teams playing not to lose instead of trying to win . Trying to beat kilcoo at the game they are the masters off .

thewobbler

Quote from: stiff breeze on October 02, 2022, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2022, 09:04:49 PM

Depends what their target is at the start of the year .If it's to Scrape through Down to peak at ulster and all Ireland then I'd say they are right on track . It's been a dire championship to watch , teams playing not to lose instead of trying to win . Trying to beat kilcoo at the game they are the masters off .

This is the conundrum.

One year ago at this stage I was distraught at my own club for the same thing. But let's be honest, it's been the best part of a generation since any team in Down has found an effective way of curbing Kilcoo's efficient, intelligent and destructive way of playing ball.

At this point I think the only answer is a superstar forward. A Clifford, a Walsh, an O'Neill. Someone who makes coin tosses in your favour; someone who makes you believe a coin toss isn't necessary. Closest players to that in Down are Kerr and Beatty. But we (as in anyone but Kilcoo lol) need something higher again.