FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

MON gets way too much criticism, Ireland have over achieved to get to a play off and based on players Wales & Serbia are ahead so its a good achievement to get this far.

Wales with far more talent would love to be waking up this morning in Ireland's position.

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 09:44:22 AM
MON gets way too much criticism, Ireland have over achieved to get to a play off and based on players Wales & Serbia are ahead so its a good achievement to get this far.

Wales with far more talent would love to be waking up this morning in Ireland's position.

Agreed.

thewobbler

Wales might have far more talent, but he was injured last night and is injured every other game. Apart from him they're all (on both sides) plodders or inconsistent.

—�—

Something didn't sit right with me with Jon Walters video last night. "Right everyone, stand up against that wall and dance a little for instagram".

Qualifying for a playoff is not an achievement. Not an achievement. Not an achievement unless the playoff is won.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2017, 09:48:11 AM

Wales might have far more talent, but he was injured last night and is injured every other game. Apart from him they're all (on both sides) plodders or inconsistent.

—�—

Something didn't sit right with me with Jon Walters video last night. "Right everyone, stand up against that wall and dance a little for instagram".

Qualifying for a playoff is not an achievement. Not an achievement. Not an achievement unless the playoff is won.

Wales have Ramsey & Allen who both have a lot more quality then anything we have. Then there's Davies who's at Spurs. Ireland don't have any player at one of the top 6 clubs.

thewobbler

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 10, 2017, 09:08:46 AM
Quote from: ashman on October 10, 2017, 01:09:25 AM
Wales aren't worth a shit sans Bale .
On paper the current wales team is much stronger than Ireland.
A high percentage of their staring team are premier league regulars.
Something we cant say at the minute.

You should really check you facts before posting them.

thewobbler

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 09:54:49 AM

—�—

Wales have Ramsey & Allen who both have a lot more quality then anything we have. Then there's Davies who's at Spurs. Ireland don't have any player at one of the top 6 clubs.

Joe Allen plays for Stoke. To put that in context, Glen Whelan was a starter for Stoke for most of the past 5 seasons. Allen might be classier than Hendrick but he's hardly on a higher level.

Ben Davies is quietly evolving into a class act, but Seamus Coleman surely is a notch up again.

So that leaves Ramsay, and countering that is a championship heart of Hennessy, Chester, Gunter, Lawrence, Ledley,  Kanu.

—�-

If a horsey man was handicapping it: with Bale, there's maybe a stone in it. Without Bale, it's an even race.

This was no giant killing feat lads.

AZOffaly

It was also away from home lads, so that's a good result in isolation.

However, regarding this as an achievement as a whole, i.e. the campaign, I would have thought it was a very attainable goal, and actually this was a winnable group if we had performed well. I don't believe Martin O'Neill is a great manager. I don't believe he is a shocking manager either. I think he is very conservative, and this has cost points against teams we can and should be beating. It has probably also led to some good results against teams that are better than us.

All in all, I'd have said that NOT getting at least a playoff would have been a failure. Getting to the World Cup would be a success. The Playoff is now just a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself.

But last night was a great occasion and a great result in the circumstances. It would be churlish to say otherwise.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2017, 09:59:59 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 09:54:49 AM

—�—

Joe Allen plays for Stoke. To put that in context, Glen Whelan was a starter for Stoke for most of the past 5 seasons. Allen might be classier than Hendrick but he's hardly on a higher level.

Ben Davies is quietly evolving into a class act, but Seamus Coleman surely is a notch up again.

So that leaves Ramsay, and countering that is a championship heart of Hennessy, Chester, Gunter, Lawrence, Ledley,  Kanu.

—�-

If a horsey man was handicapping it: with Bale, there's maybe a stone in it. Without Bale, it's an even race.

This was no giant killing feat lads.

Its a good result though, thats the 2nd win against a higher ranked side and I can't recall too many of them in previous years. I agree its nothing to get too excited about given there's the play offs to come but Irish teams with far more talent have failed to get near a world cup in the previous 20 years, this is easily the worst Irish team I've ever seen.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 10, 2017, 10:06:19 AM

However, regarding this as an achievement as a whole, i.e. the campaign, I would have thought it was a very attainable goal, and actually this was a winnable group if we had performed well. I don't believe Martin O'Neill is a great manager. I don't believe he is a shocking manager either. I think he is very conservative, and this has cost points against teams we can and should be beating. It has probably also led to some good results against teams that are better than us.

All in all, I'd have said that NOT getting at least a playoff would have been a failure. Getting to the World Cup would be a success. The Playoff is now just a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself.

But last night was a great occasion and a great result in the circumstances. It would be churlish to say otherwise.

It was attainable based on nobody knew what Serbia would turn up and that after the first few games Ireland had put themselves in a great position but there's no comparisons between the Ireland & Serbia squad. They've plenty of top players who either play for big clubs or have done previously.

shark

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 10:13:13 AM

It was attainable based on nobody knew what Serbia would turn up and that after the first few games Ireland had put themselves in a great position but there's no comparisons between the Ireland & Serbia squad. They've plenty of top players who either play for big clubs or have done previously.

It's easy to forget, Ireland were 4th seeds.

AZOffaly

Yes, but still attainable. They finished top of the group by 2 points.  We dropped 11 points in 10 games, including points in draws with Wales at home, Austria at home and Georgia away.  That group was very winnable as it turned out.

AZOffaly

Quote from: shark on October 10, 2017, 10:16:09 AM

They were 4th seeds, but that only mattered when the draw was made. When the names came out of the hat, and Austria, Wales and Serbia were the top 3 seeds, that made it a winnable group.

Will IReland's coefficient be improved now for the Euro draw as they made it to Euro 16 and came second in this group?

TheOptimist

Jesus there are some miserable heures about. Happiness is a choice lads. Try it.

Well done Ireland. Great night and looking forward to the playoffs.

AZOffaly

Quote from: TheOptimist on October 10, 2017, 10:25:52 AM
Jesus there are some miserable heures about. Happiness is a choice lads. Try it.

Well done Ireland. Great night and looking forward to the playoffs.

Good man, you're living up to your name anyway :)

They've given themselves a chance, and 3 games ago that was all we could hope for, so that's great.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: shark on October 10, 2017, 10:16:09 AM

Expectations are far too high, prior to the last Euro's pundits were touting Austria as a surprise tip to win after a very impressive qualifying campaign.