The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 17, 2022, 11:57:32 AM
I think that rugby and the media leave no room to simply admire the players without feeling the need to ram HISTORIC TEST down your throat. If you don't buy into the mania you are clearly a begrudger but we will ignore the fact that it is a minority sport punching way above it's weight in terms of coverage.

Most people never felt the weight of an oval ball but will happily jump on the bandwagon and enjoy a day out when things are going well. I'm all for celebrating the team but even I get annoyed with some of the hyperbole.

It's OK to admit that rugby is a niche sport in most countries and it's also OK to say we are really good at that sport.

Agree 100%, I read an article in the Sunday Indo saying that it was Irelands greatest ever sporting achievement. It was a great result but the biggest problem is the overreaction afterwards. There is a disconnect for a lot of people with rugby as a sport. Let's be honest, it's not the most attractive sport to watch as it doesn't lend itself to much skill and is mostly about brute force and ignorance. Personally speaking I'd want them to do well but I can't say I'm ever really bothered if they don't win either.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 11:33:58 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 17, 2022, 11:28:26 AM
On MR2NIs gravestone - "He loved an argument so he did"

Dafuq has countries payin players got to do with anythin

I've no idea why bb2 brought paying into but apparently it's a big thing, but the soccer lads only get a grant  :o

As for scouring for players, big jack didn't do that!!

I'll not be having a gravestone  ;D

Sigh.

You don't play rugby for Ireland if you are one of the 15 best Irish rugby players anymore. You play rugby for Ireland if you happen to be employed by the IRFU at one of their franchise teams. And you get paid €45k if selected.

Big Jack is dead mate. Soccer has moved on.

Main Street

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 17, 2022, 12:19:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 12:08:17 AM
The rules are there. While big Tony took the piss (and admitted it) if the opportunity is there to use players from other countries the angst or annoyance should be directed at why this is allowed to happen

Cascarino was fine to play for Ireland though? Adoption is not an issue and an adopted person is treated the very same as a blood relative when it comes to nationality
Don't mind these stormont nordies talking bull about things based either on ignorance or intentional misrepresentation. With a 100% certainty Cas was always entitled to Irish citizenry and when he was capped for Ireland he was fully eligible to play.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Main Street on July 17, 2022, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 17, 2022, 12:19:57 AM
The rules are there. While big Tony took the piss (and admitted it) if the opportunity is there to use players from other countries the angst or annoyance should be directed at why this is allowed to happen

Cascarino was fine to play for Ireland though? Adoption is not an issue and an adopted person is treated the very same as a blood relative when it comes to nationality
Don't mind these stormont nordies talking bull about things based either on ignorance or intentional misrepresentation. With a 100% certainty Cas was always entitled to Irish citizenry and when he was capped for Ireland he was fully eligible to play.
in fairness they do get their information from foreign state media

Baile Brigín 2

Cascarino was perfectly eligible to play for Ireland. Cascarino also had a book to flog and needed a hook. The feebleminded fell for said hook.

Milltown Row2

So you don't accept the rules? If the rules suit you you're happy if not you'll argue?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on July 17, 2022, 12:41:20 PM
I think that rugby and the media leave no room to simply admire the players without feeling the need to ram HISTORIC TEST down your throat. If you don't buy into the mania you are clearly a begrudger but we will ignore the fact that it is a minority sport punching way above it's weight in terms of coverage.

Most people never felt the weight of an oval ball but will happily jump on the bandwagon and enjoy a day out when things are going well. I'm all for celebrating the team but even I get annoyed with some of the hyperbole.

It's OK to admit that rugby is a niche sport in most countries and it's also OK to say we are really good at that sport.

Agree 100%, I read an article in the Sunday Indo saying that it was Irelands greatest ever sporting achievement. It was a great result but the biggest problem is the overreaction afterwards. There is a disconnect for a lot of people with rugby as a sport. Let's be honest, it's not the most attractive sport to watch as it doesn't lend itself to much skill and is mostly about brute force and ignorance. Personally speaking I'd want them to do well but I can't say I'm ever really bothered if they don't win either.
Can you send the link to the article saying it was Ireland's greatest ever sporting achievement please.

I presume this was one individual's opinion, rather than you gong down baile brigin's route of stating a bald faced lie (why anyone interacts with BB when he has been caught out so many times with his blatant lies is beyond me).

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2022, 09:26:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 17, 2022, 12:41:20 PM

Can you send the link to the article saying it was Ireland's greatest ever sporting achievement please.

I presume this was one individual's opinion, rather than you gong down baile brigin's route of stating a bald faced lie (why anyone interacts with BB when he has been caught out so many times with his blatant lies is beyond me).

https://twitter.com/FitzChain/status/1548693016176648194?t=6GhCEtehC-axK3PglfE3pA&s=19

Milltown Row2

So one persons view on it.. thanks  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 09:46:56 PM

We're you expecting an article joint written by 10 people?

Baile Brigín 2

Who suggested otherwise?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on July 17, 2022, 09:54:19 PM

I don't think he is playing with a full deck

Milltown Row2

Well if it was plenty of creditable sports journos you'd look at it, but if someone like you who doesn't even know the rules of GAA says something then I'll not worry about it..

It was a sporting first for Ireland, take it for what it is. The best team (ranked one) is beaten over 3 games

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 10:07:47 PM

Well if it was plenty of creditable sports journos you'd look at it, but if someone like you who doesn't even know the rules of GAA says something then I'll not worry about it..

It was a sporting first for Ireland, take it for what it is. The best team (ranked one) is beaten over 3 games

Nope.

In tbe context of a conversation about the press losing the run of themselves an article describing the tour win as Ireland's best ever sporting result was mentioned. You seemed to disbelieve this and when shown up are complaining it's only one article. You would give anadin a headache