Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Jonkunlon on October 13, 2022, 06:09:42 PM
Dunloy will catch Slaughtneil this year. They've been around the block enough times at this stage and know what they need to do differently. They've better stick men than Slaughtneil. Cushendall is the perfect preparation for them.

Dunno Slaughtneil have few aces up their sleeves

Antrim Coaster

Dunloy will catch Slaughtneil this year. They've been around the block enough times at this stage and know what they need to do differently. They've better stick men than Slaughtneil. Cushendall is the perfect preparation for them.

I wouldnt be too sure that Dunloy will beat Cushendall.

I suspect the final will be a similar type of match than the Antrim semi final a few years ago between Dunloy and Loughgiel in Ballycastle, where Loughgiel packed the midfield and cut off the Dunloy fast runners.

It wasnt pretty but Loughgiel got the job done that day.

Cushendall have their fair share of big men well able to mix it up in the physical stakes and I suspect they will use that to their advantage to frustrate the Dunloy attack. I think it could well be a battle of the freetakers and wouldnt be expecting a classic free flowing game of hurling.

One thing I did notice was the Dall management team werent afraid to make the calls with their substitutions. Ronan McAteer was brought on to man mark Donal McKinley who seen very little of the ball afterwards and was later substituted. Christy came on at the right time and turned the game in Cushendall's favour, scoring 1-2 in a 10 minute spell before coming off injured.

In last year's Ulster Final in Armagh, Slaughtneil done the exact same thing especially in the second half when Dunloy had the breeze. Dunloy were unable to work the ball past the Slaughtneil half back line and paid the price.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 14, 2022, 10:37:36 AM

I suspect the final will be a similar type of match than the Antrim semi final a few years ago between Dunloy and Loughgiel in Ballycastle, where Loughgiel packed the midfield and cut off the Dunloy fast runners.

Cushendall have their fair share of big men well able to mix it up in the physical stakes and I suspect they will use that to their advantage to frustrate the Dunloy attack. I think it could well be a battle of the freetakers and wouldnt be expecting a classic free flowing game of hurling.

One thing I did notice was the Dall management team werent afraid to make the calls with their substitutions. Ronan McAteer was brought on to man mark Donal McKinley who seen very little of the ball afterwards and was later substituted. Christy came on at the right time and turned the game in Cushendall's favour, scoring 1-2 in a 10 minute spell before coming off injured.

In last year's Ulster Final in Armagh, Slaughtneil done the exact same thing especially in the second half when Dunloy had the breeze. Dunloy were unable to work the ball past the Slaughtneil half back line and paid the price.

Very good assessment Coaster, it depends though on Cushendall changing their own game by worrying how Dunloy will play, they probaly feel their own game is enough to beat Dunloy!

Free taking is part of the game and some people are wanting the game to flow but when their own player gets 'fouled' they want a free, crazy lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They took ages to take Delargy off who could barely walk though. I think they have more options in defense than attack mind you.

I think someone said here Cushendall may be better placed to beat Slaughtneil. I still think Dunloy win this by 5 or 6.

saffron123

Cushendall bound to be favourites after that assessment

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 14, 2022, 10:37:36 AM

Very good assessment Coaster, it depends though on Cushendall changing their own game by worrying how Dunloy will play, they probaly feel their own game is enough to beat Dunloy!

Free taking is part of the game and some people are wanting the game to flow but when their own player gets 'fouled' they want a free, crazy lol

To be honest I think Dunloy only know how to play the one way and that is to rely on the speed of their midfielders and forwards driving forward.

Eoghan Campbell touched on that in the Irish News recently. Id say Cushendall have copped onto that aspect of the Dunloy game and may have something up their sleeve to counter that.

On a heavy and wet surface the Dunloy running game might not suit and they have been caught out in the past by Slaughtneil so do Dunloy have a Plan B. I suppose we'll find out on Sunday.

The lack of a Plan B cost them in last year's Ulster Final.

Lord Antrim

Anyone know what the craic is with u20's championship ?
LGiel beat BCastle last week in a tight game and now it appears that could be the only game played .
Hearing u20 county managers have quit cos of the shambles.
Crazy situation if we are trying to develop young men for senior team and also trying to stop drop off.

paddyjohn

That's shambolic if true.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 14, 2022, 05:54:35 PM
From very early on in the year people have convinced themselves that it is Cushendall's year. One last push for a lot of their players etc.
Personally, I'm not seeing where they have backed any of that expectation up and I don't see anything in them to match Dunloy. Though, just for the sake of change, I'd like them to win.

Dunloy by 8+

Yeah I don't see it either though I hope I'm wrong. They lack pace in the forwards and with injuries I don't think they have the depth. If McManus doesn't get scores where do they get them? You look at Dunloy and Cunning, Molloy, Elliot x2 and the list goes on can get them.

McManus in his 14th final. That is some going.

imtommygunn

That's awful. Basically reads we have ambitions and you do not so we're done.

old timers

Quote from: Lord Antrim on October 14, 2022, 10:11:14 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on October 14, 2022, 10:01:02 PM
That's shambolic if true.
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2022/10/14/news/antrim_u20_management_team_step_down-2861748/

How many players are there on the u20 panel?  Does several make a big impact or are they all starters for the U20?  Not familiar with the younger ones now - but What about the rest of the u17-u20s-  that committed to the group?  Disappointing situation all round -  everyone has lost out

Milltown Row2

Just back from Dunsilly two decent games last game in the balance for a while but Clooney eventually woke up midway through the second half and created more chances and took them when it mattered.

Glenarm came through after Rasharkin had but up a great battle, point separated them at half time but Glenarm were worthy winners in the end..

One senior game to go!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

Not much social media coverage of the finals today or football last night, called it out before the PRO is only interested when Belfast teams are involved, go past the Applegreen and he doesn't want to know

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on October 15, 2022, 06:39:53 PM
Not much social media coverage of the finals today or football last night, called it out before the PRO is only interested when Belfast teams are involved, go past the Applegreen and he doesn't want to know

Seen some stuff there on Antrim FB and the games were stream to..

Back in my day you'd be lucky to get results in the Irish news never mind streamed live coverage..