The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

when Hart was good, he was a good keeper, but he had a torrid year or so of errors and bad form. Not sure how Italy is going for him, but I wouldn't want the Joe Hart that finished up at City.

magpie seanie

What about Darren Randolph? Always plays well when I see him.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 07, 2017, 09:56:11 AM
What about Darren Randolph? Always plays well when I see him.
I was going to mention him. I think he has the potential to be a fantastic keeper. Don't know if he could go straight in as a number 1 but he certainly is a decent keeper.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Stallion on February 07, 2017, 08:33:30 AM
Hart? Jesus wept.

Some lads are great at telling you who's shít, shouldn't be playing and so forth but are mostly reticent to nail their colours to the mast in who they'd have in place, so it would be interesting who Stallion and Taylor would have as manager, goalkeeper and what other players they'd like to buy in with being realistic about it.

AZOffaly

I'm wary of goalkeepers from smaller clubs. If Darren Randolph makes a mistake for West Ham, it's forgotten about by Monday . If Darren Randolph makes a mistake for Liverpool, he has every paper in the UK, and all online forums on his back. He looks like he could be a good keeper, but he has let in some soft enough ones, and I'm not sure he's an upgrade on Mignolet or Karius.

Taylor

Quote from: johnneycool on February 07, 2017, 10:15:27 AM
Hart? Jesus wept.

Some lads are great at telling you who's shít, shouldn't be playing and so forth but are mostly reticent to nail their colours to the mast in who they'd have in place, so it would be interesting who Stallion and Taylor would have as manager, goalkeeper and what other players they'd like to buy in with being realistic about it.

Hart? Jesus wept.
[/quote]

Have to disagree reg Harte. He is infinitely better than what is currently at Anfield and if he was still at City they would be in a much stronger position to challenge for the title.
Schmeichel wouldnt be a patch on his 'oul fella and I would rate him well below Harte
[/quote]

Pretty clear I would take Harte as GK - No?

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
I'm wary of goalkeepers from smaller clubs. If Darren Randolph makes a mistake for West Ham, it's forgotten about by Monday . If Darren Randolph makes a mistake for Liverpool, he has every paper in the UK, and all online forums on his back. He looks like he could be a good keeper, but he has let in some soft enough ones, and I'm not sure he's an upgrade on Mignolet or Karius.
I agree about Randolph. Mignolet was good with Sunderland but hasn't been good enough for Liverpool. The problem is finding one these days as think the standard of goalkeeping isn't great worldwide and the top clubs understandably don't want to let there's go.

Bord na Mona man

Keepers at weaker clubs have to deal with a lot more clean shots and one-on-ones where their defence has gone AWOL. There is more scope for them to look like heroes.
At better clubs, the chances conceded are usually more random and off toe pokes, knock downs, deflections and maybe a bit of mesmeric interplay to unlock a tight defence. So reaction and judgement come into it a lot more.

I'm not convinced Randolph keeps his bearings that well in a defensive scramble. I've seen him a couple of times drifting into a bad position when the ball was pinging around a bit.
Even after applying all the caveats, I think Tom Heaton would be a good signing for Liverpool.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 07, 2017, 11:14:37 AM
Keepers at weaker clubs have to deal with a lot more clean shots and one-on-ones where their defence has gone AWOL. There is more scope for them to look like heroes.
At better clubs, the chances conceded are usually more random and off toe pokes, knock downs, deflections and maybe a bit of mesmeric interplay to unlock a tight defence. So reaction and judgement come into it a lot more.

I'm not convinced Randolph keeps his bearings that well in a defensive scramble. I've seen him a couple of times drifting into a bad position when the ball was pinging around a bit.
Even after applying all the caveats, I think Tom Heaton would be a good signing for Liverpool.

Shot stopping is great, and very important. Mignolet is actually a good shot stopper, but I would place a premium on a goalkeeper who dominates the area. Crosses, corners, free kicks. Someone who lets out a roar, comes and is physically strong enough to claim the ball. If you had a fella that could do that, and then save the shots you would expect him to save, I'd be happy with that.

A lot of managers seem to prefer this sweeper keeper type, who's good with his feet. I prefer a goalie who is good with his hands.

johnneycool

Quote from: Taylor on February 07, 2017, 10:45:12 AM
Hart? Jesus wept.

Hart? Jesus wept.

Have to disagree reg Harte. He is infinitely better than what is currently at Anfield and if he was still at City they would be in a much stronger position to challenge for the title.
Schmeichel wouldnt be a patch on his 'oul fella and I would rate him well below Harte
[/quote]

[/quote]

Anyone else you'd like at Anfield, manager and so forth and don't be saying Messi or some other nonsense?

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2017, 11:23:21 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 07, 2017, 11:14:37 AM

Shot stopping is great, and very important. Mignolet is actually a good shot stopper, but I would place a premium on a goalkeeper who dominates the area. Crosses, corners, free kicks. Someone who lets out a roar, comes and is physically strong enough to claim the ball. If you had a fella that could do that, and then save the shots you would expect him to save, I'd be happy with that.

A lot of managers seem to prefer this sweeper keeper type, who's good with his feet. I prefer a goalie who is good with his hands.

You know it's a sad state of affairs when you have to make (seemingly obvious) statements like this but I agree entirely!

Taylor

Quote from: johnneycool on February 07, 2017, 11:25:08 AM
Hart? Jesus wept.

Hart? Jesus wept.

[/quote]

Anyone else you'd like at Anfield, manager and so forth and don't be saying Messi or some other nonsense?
[/quote]

Ok Johnneytool I will try my best.
Need a solid DMF who would provide cover for the defence - Yacob from West Brom would be a decent addition.

Manager is a tough on - Klopp isnt setting the world alight. To give him a 6 yr contratc is crazy

Fuzzman

Most neutrals enjoyed watching Liverpool in the first half of the season as they were very attack minded and scored a lot of goals from all around the team. Ye don't really use an out and out striker really unlike most teams with Sturridge being left on the scrap heap, despite finally getting fit.

However, I think your main problem is your defence and this is where I think Klopp can be held responsible.
Chelsea have scored 51 goals so far, Arsenal and Liverpool have 52 but Chelsea and Spurs have only conceded 17 and 16 respectively whereas Liverpool conceded 30 which is even more than Middlesborough. It's easy to blame your keeper but I think the back 4 (maybe not Clyne) haven't been great or don't have a Kanté or strong defensive MF who protects the back 4.

johnneycool

Quote from: Taylor on February 07, 2017, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 07, 2017, 11:25:08 AM
Hart? Jesus wept.

Hart? Jesus wept.

[/quote]

Ok Johnneytool I will try my best.
Need a solid DMF who would provide cover for the defence - Yacob from West Brom would be a decent addition.

Manager is a tough on - Klopp isnt setting the world alight. To give him a 6 yr contratc is crazy
[/quote]

So Liverpool are a goalkeeper like Hart and a DMF like Yacob away from winning a premier league title?

If not Klopp, then who?

Taylor

You are hard work Johnneytool.

Those 2 players would absolutely improve them - would it win the title? Not so sure but if I had the answers on how to win the PL without mentioning 'players like Messi' then I am currently in the wrong job.
Discussion board is about opinions.

Sturridge has gone downhill as much as any player in recent times - would a run in the starting team be any good to him now that he is injury free