Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trailer

Thought McShane poor enough. We need new blood. Not sure what or who but new faces needed. Middle 8 all need a shake. Could be a very short year.

Stan

A serious amount of unwarranted criticism of some of the players - esp, Cathal McShane and Richard Donnelly. (IMHO)
Tyrone clearly haven't found their best 15, or at least are not prepared to show their hand as early as the 3rd week in January.
Let's work on the basis that they have a clear enough idea of the squad that will be doing their best to retain Div 1 status and thereafter the best team for Ulster and beyond - assuming injuries and return to form of other players etc..

Derry are showing early and well at county level and at club level - Gallagher has shown what a difference creating a team culture an make to a county that, for years has been unable to bring club success to the county.

Big year for the current management to show they are team builders in every sense of the word - will take a few more mckenna cups to integrate many of the young and up coming players...most likely a season too early for the Daly lads and might even be a lot of responsibility for the Canavans at such a young age...

Derry and Armagh have shown how long it takes to reshape playing style and create winning teams - and even then only Derry have silverware to prove it.

Our most recent All Ireland success disguises the period of transition that we find ourselves in - players coming back into (or out of) form are the easiest scapegoats...management ultimately need to find a playing formulae / style that suits the players at their disposal and the competition they face...I would be hoping for some proof in the NFL that the team building efforts are paying off.

When we were winning the MCKenna cup under Micky Harte, it wasn't t worth a shyte and when we loose a final, its all doom and gloom...too early to judge at this stage but early enough to be expecting progress over the League campaign

sensethetone

Should have been a replay of the 95 final when Charlie Redmond didn't go off..

CK_Redhand

Quote from: sensethetone on January 23, 2023, 03:40:41 PM
Should have been a reply of the 95 final when Charlie Redmond didn't go off..
Outside the statute of limitations now I'm afraid. A replay now would be class craic though, Canavan would still terrorise the dub defence.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 22, 2023, 06:41:40 PM
Quote from: square_ball on January 22, 2023, 03:19:59 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on January 22, 2023, 03:07:41 PM
I'm guessing they'll go something like

Morgan
Mccarron
Munroe
Hampsey
Mckernan
Harte
Devlin
Kilpatrick
Kennedy
Meyler
Canavan
Sludden
Mccurry
McShane
M Donnelly

That'll probably not be a million miles away. I can see them finding a spot for Burns and/or McGeary somewhere in the lineup.

Ya possibly Devlin or sludden
Surely we have to be finding a starting place for Ruairi Canavan.

God14

A pitiful performance on Saturday night. Very very disappointing. Credit to Derry who I was seriously impressed with. They might have done us a favour though longer term. Our fitness levels arnt good enough yet, our structure and style of play is.. frankly none existent. And we lack pace & mobility in some crucial areas.
Management have time to address most of those issues yet thankfully
The most frustrating thing is, again, we looked like we have never come across the Derry mass-defence system. Derry got 15 men behind the ball in the opening 10 mins, afforded Tyrone plenty of possession. We never mounted a meaningful attack, it was all sideways lateral powder puff stuff. I feel this even had a psychological impact too. Once we were turned over they had acres of space in front of them
Tyrone had no structure or ideas in attack to break that down – ie men hugging the sidelines to create width & space, forwards making darting runs in the search of a mark, or the longer range kickers (P Harte) coming off a D to kick a boomer from 45 yards. Because Derry allow you to shoot from there, and as long as the ball goes dead – its no great shakes if you miss. Once they have 15 inside the 45, its more probable you get turned over eventually, rather than score
You need to have a target man in there as well and loft the odd one into McShane or whoever. It might pay off for mark or a goal, but more importantly it keeps their defence occupied and prevents them cranking up the collective pressure as much in the 30 yard zone from the 45 to the 15 yards infront of the keeper
Surely in training this environment is recreated – we have a massive panel of players. Get 15 (or 16) behind the ball, and challenge the first 15 to break it down. It really looked like we hadn't seen this before or didn't expect it
The middle third was very poor. Kennedy & Richie are both good assets to have in your squad. But as a midfield pairing they wouldnt have the pace or mobility for this level. One or the other in the midfield. Our break ball winning powers across the half backs and half forwards was second to Derry as well
Also very concerning the form of Hampsey, McGeary, Sludden, Mattie & Pete Harte. No discernable change from 2022. So far anyway.
A tough trip away to Roscommon on Sunday, I still expect us to finish in the top 3 or 4 in the league this year. Most division one games wont be as tough as Derry was on Saturday past. But we need to start planning for Derry in the summer now.

BIGONE

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
Devlin
Harte
OgMcCartan
Kennedy
Kilpatrick
Meyler
Canavan
Sludden
McCurry
Donnelly
Canavan

superstar_

My hopes would be

Morgan
McKernan
McNamee
Hampsey
Meyler
Harte
Devlin
Kennedy and Kilpatrick
Sludden
Canavan
Canavan
McCurry
McShane
Donnelly

Also hoping Joe Oguz, Padraig McNulty and Peter Teague solve their injury problems and get meaningful game time in the league. They would be fantastic options and offer more height and strength.

on the sideline

How many Galbally men are now in the Tyrone panel after their run this year?

Mikhailov

Quote from: BIGONE on January 24, 2023, 03:41:30 PM
Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
Devlin
Harte
OgMcCartan
Kennedy
Kilpatrick
Meyler
Canavan
Sludden
McCurry
Donnelly
Canavan

Canavan junior & McNamee appear to be injured as do a few others. If you consider the above team then we still can call upon the following;

Benny Gallen,
Cormac Monroe,
Niall Kelly,
Cormac Quinn,
Nathan McCarron
Frank Burns
Conor Quinn
Peter Teague
Liam Rafferty
Richie Donnelly
Paudie McNulty
Joe Oguz
Liam Nugent
Emmet McNabb
Conor Cush
Kieran McGeary
Dalaigh Jones
Ryan Jones
Michael McGleenan
Lorcan Quinn
Rory Donnelly
Aidan Clarke
Eoin Corey
Probably have still missed a few out - apologies to those players.

That is a lot of men not getting football who have to be kept happy, which appears to have been a problem in the last 2 seasons when you consider the lads who dropped out.

NotedObserver

Morgan
Mckernan
Munroe
Hampsey
Quinn
Harte
Devlin
Kennedy
Donnelly
Mulgrew
Kilpatrick
Meyler
McShane
Donnelly
Canavan

Not sure about this team but hope it delivers

smort

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 28, 2023, 10:39:47 PM
Morgan
Mckernan
Munroe
Hampsey
Quinn
Harte
Devlin
Kennedy
Donnelly
Mulgrew
Kilpatrick
Meyler
McShane
Donnelly
Canavan

Not a lot of scores in that team

clarshack

Quote from: smort on January 28, 2023, 10:51:23 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on January 28, 2023, 10:39:47 PM
Morgan
Mckernan
Munroe
Hampsey
Quinn
Harte
Devlin
Kennedy
Donnelly
Mulgrew
Kilpatrick
Meyler
McShane
Donnelly
Canavan

Not a lot of scores in that team

That was my first impression too.

I was at the last league game between the 2 teams in Roscommon 4 years ago and it took a few long range frees from Niall Morgan in the 2nd half plus a moment of madness from a Roscommon player at the end to get a draw. It won't be easy tomorrow.

square_ball

No McCurry is a surprise he's our best forward by some distance imo. A few players very very lucky to be starting based on their showing last weekend.

Optimistic they can pull something out of the bag. Tyrone by 3.