RTE on Freeview

Started by ziggysego, January 30, 2009, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I've had Freeview now for several years and I was always disappointed that RTE wasn't carried on the platform. However this week I retuned the box to pick up Dave+1 and noticed that RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and TV3 are in spaces 803, 804, 805 and 807, but there is no signal.

Are these channels coming to Freeview soon or is it only for RoI customers?
Testing Accessibility

A Quinn Martin Production

Ziggy...got Freeview at Xmas and contacted them re Irish channels.  They told me that there were no plans to make Irish channels available through Freeview.  Things might have changed in the last 3 weeks though!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ziggysego

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on January 30, 2009, 12:05:31 PM
Ziggy...got Freeview at Xmas and contacted them re Irish channels.  They told me that there were no plans to make Irish channels available through Freeview.  Things might have changed in the last 3 weeks though!

Anytime I contacted them, that was the answer I got too. I was just wondering since the channels are now listed on Freeview up here. Especially considering that the South uses a different digital format to us up here.
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Interesting development. Fionntamhnach?

Another little niggle I noticed recently. How come BBCNI don't put out the same wide-screen signal on analogue that they broadcast on digital? RTE do it over analogue so the technology is obviously there. Just an annoyance having to switch to digital when channel hopping from RTE to BBC.

Treasurer

It would be very handy if they go freeview - my aeriel picture is quite poor.

tyronefan

the irish channels are broadcast on MP4 and the English channels are broadcast on MP2

the freeview boxs are mp2 so sometimes they will pick up the sound but they will not get the pictures

The Irish channels were supposed to broadcast on MP2 as well but changed just before they went digital and the English channels have no plans to upgrade their broadcasting to MP4 anytime soon

I know a fella who works with sky and this is what he told me

ziggysego

Was aware that tyronefan, but I'm just wondering why these channels have suddenly appeared on my Freeview box. Could the be about to start broadcasting in MP2 for northern viewers?
Testing Accessibility

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Donagh

Quote from: ziggysego on January 30, 2009, 03:08:27 PM
Was aware that tyronefan, but I'm just wondering why these channels have suddenly appeared on my Freeview box. Could the be about to start broadcasting in MP2 for northern viewers?

I think what he's saying is that your digital decoder will pickup the signal but because it is MP2 and not MP4 you can't get the pictures. Where are you though - Greencastle? Wouldn't have thought you'd get the digital test signal from Louth up there  ???

Am only after checking my telly here in Belfast which has an MP4 digital tuner and I'm getting nothing, despite a strong analogue signal.

ziggysego

Yeah, I'm in Greencastle. I was surprised to see it. Still no signal.

I might have to give my local MLA, Barry McElduff a shout. He might know what's going on ;)
Testing Accessibility

laceer

I noticed this at Christmas - picture and sound worked but there was no tv guide

joebloggs

Have had freeview for about 3-4 months now and rte, tv3 and tg4 are all on it. great picture too. Didnt have freeview before that but the analogue signal wasn't great for tv3 and tg4 but both are excellent now. Also have text services on rte as well dont know about tv3 or tg4 for this as i never use them.

playwiththewind1st

Got a Freesat box recently & am supposed to get BBC HD. When I switch it on, picture works for a second, then it freezes & get sound only. Any thoughts?

ziggysego

Yep, started getting the channels again. Sound only though. Sickener is, it has knocked the two BBCs off 1 & 2, placing them into the 800s. Pictureless RTEs are now in 1 & 2.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

I heard a rumour that Freeview up here is going to start broadcasting in MPEG4 sometime this year. Fionntamhnach, have you heard anything about this and will it mean we'll have the RTEs, TV3 and TG4 up here eventually then?
Testing Accessibility