Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny

Before I start this I wish to say
(1) its only a suggestion, we are trying to improve things afterall
(2) I have spent my life with a small club in Cavan, I know we would, and have fought tooth and nail to hold on to our divisional status...these suggestions probably wouldnt even make it out of our clubrooms!!!!

As a footnote each club in the county currently plays approx 20 or so games a season.

This is how we could work it. Change the current set up into 4 divisions. What would happen is that at the county convention at end 2011 you tell all club delegates that the top 10 ten teams in Div 1 at the end of 2012 will form the "Senior Division". The remaining 6 teams from that division will join the top 4 teams in div 2 to form an "Intermediate Division", the next 10 teams in Div 2 would Form a "Junior Division" and the remaining teams would form a 4th Division (to be named appropriately). The League/Championship would start on the first weekend in march and each team plays 18 matches, with or without County players, which given weekends off for County all Ireland series would bring us up to mid July or so.

After the 18 matches we take a break and play the Senior Championship as described in my previous post, county split into sections, clubs amalgamate...etc and this would take place in late July/August, 4 groups, 3 games each, winner of each group into Semis, then final. In September the top 8 teams from the earlier club matches play off in a knock out championship competition in each Div and the two bottom teams play in a shield. The winner of the shield stays up, loser goes down. Winner of all divisions goes forward in Ulster  (apart from the 4th Div)and in Inter, Junior and 4th Div winner gets promoted.

This will
(1) give all club players the chance to play a senior campaign if they are good enough. This will as stated before bring players to a higher standard required to play with the county team.
(2) will give the management the chance to see all players in competitive action.
(3) give coaches and managers the chance to compete at a higher level, future managers from inside the county will be born.
(4) bring a competitive edge to the current league and bring an end to meaningless games...everyone is fighting for something.
(5) will give each club teh opportunity to win a championship in its own right and bring pride to their area, whilst giving their better players a chance to shine at a different level.

This format allows clubs to compete at their own level on a weekly basis. It also strengthens our teams going into Ulster at Inter and Junior level at least. 

These are only the tip of the iceberg in what needs to be done to improve football in Cavan...but it could be a start.

whats my name

we joined up for the senior as blackwater gaels was a great expierence but it wasnt run right we had to play a junior game on a friday then we were expected to tog out sunday for a senior game it was a total joke i rember i was just about able to swing my leg at the ball in the games because i was that f*cked. if it was ran right and gave players time to recover in between matches it would work fairly well.

BigMac

Indeed,Aaron Duignan is another big miss for Kildallan,hes emigrated too hasnt he?
Definetely amalgamations are the way to go to try and improve football in the county.
We need the likes of David Givney,Gearoid McK etc to be playing senior championship,and Senior championship football would give the likes of Kieran McManus the exposure that might see him get the recognition he deserves.
Well worth a go in the McKenna Cup and National League next year,as he has Size,Power and strength unlike too many of players on the scene right now.
[/quote]

David Givney won't even be playing Junior championship this year. He's heading away to Chicago. This, to me, looks like a lad who had planned to go as soon as Cavan were knocked out, and possibly not someone who wanted to stay and win a few games in the qualifiers and miss his summer in the States. I could be wrong, but if the decision was made, and public knowledge 3 days after the game is over, it just gives the impression that he had thought about this before these games were played.

cavan4sam

I knew David Givney was going to Chicago before the U21 AIF was even played, there was no date set just that he was going when Cavan were knocked out. Good attitude??

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 29, 2011, 05:16:21 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 29, 2011, 04:56:48 PM
In the Celt it looks confirmed Hyland and Andrews staying on. Dont know what to make of that, most wont be too happy I'd say. The joint manager thing will never work anyway.
Ah well, I doubt we would get anyone better unless we had money, and by the looks of things we are low on funds.

Also see it looks like M Brennan is retiring from county. Real shame that, I think he is our best forward after Seanie quite easily. How he started neither game especially against Longford when we had several defenders in the forward line I'll never know. Another good player lost, at this stage we could line out a club XI that would defeat the County seniors easily.
But if we have the same management it is to be expected since he didnt get a chance.

Also next years panel will be picked by the end of the club Championship. Its fair to say there wil be alot of withdrawals by this time next year.

Agreed with you on this FM,and im sure Boojangles will be outspoken about the disgraceful treatment of his clubmate.
He was Cavan's player aginst Fermanagh last year,and changed the Wicklow game when he went out to midfield,where he dominated.
Yet hes deemed not good enough to start in either of the championship games shambles this year???
It would be a shame if thats the last time we have seen him in a Cavan jersey.

I have never hidden my identity on here, I could say plenty which would highlight how amateur the set-up is in Cavan but it's just not worth it anymore. The more things change the more they stay the same in Cavan and to be honest I don't really care anymore. Once I heard the proper team for Saturday I didnt even go to the game and boy was I glad. I have only missed 3 Championship games in about 20 years but there is only so long you can keep supporting the same crap. Most of the lads give 100% and deserve success but IMO they need a McGeeney type figure to achieve that.
Have we anybody in the county with the skills to do such a job? Anthony Forde always struck me as a winner. I'd definitely like to see more of him on the scene as it looks like Terry and Val are going nowhere.

Good debate on amalgamations and in general I agree that they could be the way forward but the only way they might work is for them to start from underage upwards. Look at the amount of amalgamations we have around U-16 and Minor level. If these links can be sustained through to Senior level then it can only be a good thing.
Take Redhills as a shining example. Redbridge had been competing at Division One level at underage for a number of years. Now look how many lads they have coming through who previously may not have got a chance to play at a higher level eg. Rory Dunne, Oisin Minagh, Turloc Mooney, Packie Leddy while Redhills are top of Division One.
Benny- you do make some good points but what you are suggesting is just too hard to administer IMO.Who will be picking the managers and areas? Do you honestly think all clubs would allow the County Board officials to dictate on important matters like this. It would take a massive seachange in attitudes from all clubs and the County Board and to be honest I don't think that is possible in Cavan.
I also couldn't agree about your other point about turning the League into 4 Divisions. Creating an even lower standard division in Cavan is madness IMO and in fairness to the County Board they are doing something about it by having more teams in Senior and Intermediate.

On another point- Alot of clubs could take the lead from what I notice Celt Man and the Cootehill club are doing in terms of setting out a 5 year plan in relation to 5 key areas- Coaching and Games, Finance, Facilities, Structures and Administration and Communications,PR and Culture. Philip Smith former County Chairman is facilitating the process.
Indeed the County Board could have a look at it also.
Like anything in life if you don't set targets and goals then you will never achieve anything.

rodney trotter

Gowna beat lacken by 12pts tonight, Mckeever had a great game for gowna and Pierson was very good at centre forward. Dont know what the story was him not being involved for the championship, i have always rated as good as johnston or better..

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4sam on June 29, 2011, 10:37:38 PM
I knew David Givney was going to Chicago before the U21 AIF was even played, there was no date set just that he was going when Cavan were knocked out. Good attitude??

I wouldn't blame the lad one bit. I hope he has a ball. There is more to life than football. You can hang around Cavan playing football until your 35 and get sweet FA in return.
Any word on another of the younger Senior players going also?

Westside

I don't see anything wrong with that.. There's only a few counties that could hope to be involved all summer. Cavan ain't one of these. I couldn't fault him for effort anytime I've seen him play this year, I'd imagine it was never a case of hoping to get knocked out early to get away. Keating is gone with him. Best of luck to them and hopefully they come back with a thirst to get stuck in for next year.

cavanforever

i believe keating is jetting off to Chicago along with givney. both clubs star men gone for the championship say there managers are going up the wall. also heard rumours of johnston and lyng aswell but not sure.

put-it-up-again

Quote from: boojangles on June 29, 2011, 10:46:05 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on June 29, 2011, 10:37:38 PM

I wouldn't blame the lad one bit. I hope he has a ball. There is more to life than football. You can hang around Cavan playing football until your 35 and get sweet FA in return.
Any word on another of the younger Senior players going also?

Agree with you completely BooJ. Credit to the lads, they stuck around for as long were Cavan in the championship. The fact is there is no way we were going to be involved in championship football in August this year so does anyone on this board really expect them to sit at home all summer with no work?

You have to look after number one in life and the two boys trained all year for Cavan and gave it a shot. They have every right to head off once the campaign was over. They could have very easily jetted off the week after the Donegal game but they stuck around.

I know if I didn't have work I wouldn't be too far behind them.

cavan4sam

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with these lads going, just pointing out that it was old news but seems there own clubmen were the last to know, at least in Givneys case. These lads need to look after number because at the end of the day staying at home to play football will not put money in these lads pockets!

tommysmith

Denn Forever

From the Bowl C thread on the main board.  Very apt.  The only thing missing is the Oxegen ticket stub.

The only way is up.

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 29, 2011, 05:43:20 PM
The Cavan hamsters were subject to a rigorous pre-qualifier draw training regime:

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2011, 01:10:40 PM
The Cavan hamsters discuss the draw.

Hamster 1: "Looks like it's a trip to Cork again lads".
Hamster 2: "I picked a bad week to give up the fags".
Hamster 3: "I dunno lads we'd a great weekend down there last year."
Hamster 1: "We were beat out the gate!"
Hamster 3: "Were we?"
Hamster 2: "I remember being hammered alright...."
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 30, 2011, 02:08:48 PM
From the Bowl C thread on the main board.  Very apt.  The only thing missing is the Oxegen ticket stub.

The only way is up.

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 29, 2011, 05:43:20 PM
The Cavan hamsters were subject to a rigorous pre-qualifier draw training regime:

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2011, 01:10:40 PM
The Cavan hamsters discuss the draw.

Hamster 1: "Looks like it's a trip to Cork again lads".
Hamster 2: "I picked a bad week to give up the fags".
Hamster 3: "I dunno lads we'd a great weekend down there last year."
Hamster 1: "We were beat out the gate!"
Hamster 3: "Were we?"
Hamster 2: "I remember being hammered alright...."

We'r a fu**ing laughing stock and I hope every potential Player,Selector, Manager and anybody else with an influence on Cavan football sees the above.

Westside

Minor game tomorrow then lads... No team named yet? I don't think they have a prayer but I do hope I'm wrong.