Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

On the point of amalgamations: I've seen West Cavan Gaels, TP Kildallan Corlough and Shannon Gaels get hammered by Belturbet. Partly because Belturbet were miles ahead in terms of pace and skill but also because some of the better players weren't involved, it was the usual local faces involved in management that nobody really wants to train under and the better players didn't attend training and some were called just for the game. It needs outside management to attend some club games, get to know who's who and call these lads up to the amalgamation teams.

I think Blackwater Gaels got on better that year but for West Cavan I would suggest amaglamating Corlough TP and Kildallan and let them compete in intermediate for a few years. Some may say that's irrelevant you're not going to get any county players from this end of the county anyway but I've seen a lot of some very good talent coming from Corlough, lads who played Div 1 Minor football, wasted to Junior football and there's an U16 team from Templeport at the top of Division 1 who will fall by the wayside unless they have a better standard of football to be involved with when they come of age. Standards must be raised at the top but also the bottom..

Tom Reilly does have a plan for this, he spoke about it at Swad's homecoming after the AI Final.

tommysmith

Quote from: footballmad on June 29, 2011, 12:05:53 PM
Tommy are you ok? What has annoyed you? Please do tell.

Now take a few breaths and relax.............................................. you ok now? Ok go back and look at my posts, now find the word achievements.
Did i ever as for a list of this? Not too many people will have alot to brag about in this county.

Ill break it down for you.. ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING TO HELP CAVAN FOOTBALL?
When answering this please note, 1) this does not involve posting on the board and 2) been very childish  :P

PIU- Sounds like you do nothing aswell

You are a wum and should head back over to HS until September.

BigMac

Nooooo!! Has someone told the Hoganstand that we're here?
Footballmad AKA Tomsmith!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on June 29, 2011, 01:18:51 PM
On the point of amalgamations: I've seen West Cavan Gaels, TP Kildallan Corlough and Shannon Gaels get hammered by Belturbet. Partly because Belturbet were miles ahead in terms of pace and skill but also because some of the better players weren't involved, it was the usual local faces involved in management that nobody really wants to train under and the better players didn't attend training and some were called just for the game. It needs outside management to attend some club games, get to know who's who and call these lads up to the amalgamation teams.

I think Blackwater Gaels got on better that year but for West Cavan I would suggest amaglamating Corlough TP and Kildallan and let them compete in intermediate for a few years. Some may say that's irrelevant you're not going to get any county players from this end of the county anyway but I've seen a lot of some very good talent coming from Corlough, lads who played Div 1 Minor football, wasted to Junior football and there's an U16 team from Templeport at the top of Division 1 who will fall by the wayside unless they have a better standard of football to be involved with when they come of age. Standards must be raised at the top but also the bottom..

Tom Reilly does have a plan for this, he spoke about it at Swad's homecoming after the AI Final.

There are lots of good footballers in West Cavan as you say Westside.
Kieran McManus of T'port is one of the most underrated players in the county and deserved at least a place on the County Juniors this year.
Enda McHugh of Shannon Gaels is another good footballer,Is Eamon O Reily playing ball with the Gaels aswell,or did he emigrate?
Ronan Reily of Kildallan is another good player.
Joesph Prior of Corlough is a very solid fullback,
An amalgamation of T'port/Kildallan/Shannon Gaels/Corlough would be tough to beat in Intermediate.

Westside

Kieran Mac is indeed the pick of them at the moment. Very very strong and can kick a score. His goal against Mountnugent in Bawn a few months back was one of the best pieces of marksmanship I have ever seen. He was doing well in the Cavan development squad until he broke his wrist/hand.. Lets hope he's not forgotten about and given another chance next year. Would it not be better giving the likes of him a run on the Juniors in place of Jason Reilly?..
Ronan Reilly is a decent player but temperamental, he's gone to Boston and it's doubtful we'll see him in a Kildallan or Cavan jersey again.. I think Eamon O'Reilly is still around but perhaps I'm wrong in saying that!

It would be unfair to allow a 4 team amalgamation into Intermediate, especially since SG are Division 2 League and will be challenging Junior. TP, Corlough and Kildallan would only be able for intermediate at this stage and with the proper management and training together could maybe do well. That could leave Swad and SG to combine for Senior perhaps.

rodney trotter

After swadlinbar winning ulster ::) and getting to the all ireland final i thought they would have one or 2 other players inlvollved with either the junior or senior panel. Mark or John Cunningham or chris curran with the u21s

full moon

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 29, 2011, 03:49:21 PM
After swadlinbar winning ulster ::) and getting to the all ireland final i thought they would have one or 2 other players inlvollved with either the junior or senior panel. Mark or John Cunningham or chris curran with the u21s
Gearoid McKiernan?

Whatever happened to the Cunningham on the county from Swad a few years back, he looked a good player.

full moon

In the Celt it looks confirmed Hyland and Andrews staying on. Dont know what to make of that, most wont be too happy I'd say. The joint manager thing will never work anyway.
Ah well, I doubt we would get anyone better unless we had money, and by the looks of things we are low on funds.

Also see it looks like M Brennan is retiring from county. Real shame that, I think he is our best forward after Seanie quite easily. How he started neither game especially against Longford when we had several defenders in the forward line I'll never know. Another good player lost, at this stage we could line out a club XI that would defeat the County seniors easily.
But if we have the same management it is to be expected since he didnt get a chance.

Also next years panel will be picked by the end of the club Championship. Its fair to say there wil be alot of withdrawals by this time next year.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on June 29, 2011, 02:44:51 PM
Kieran Mac is indeed the pick of them at the moment. Very very strong and can kick a score. His goal against Mountnugent in Bawn a few months back was one of the best pieces of marksmanship I have ever seen. He was doing well in the Cavan development squad until he broke his wrist/hand.. Lets hope he's not forgotten about and given another chance next year. Would it not be better giving the likes of him a run on the Juniors in place of Jason Reilly?..
Ronan Reilly is a decent player but temperamental, he's gone to Boston and it's doubtful we'll see him in a Kildallan or Cavan jersey again.. I think Eamon O'Reilly is still around but perhaps I'm wrong in saying that!

It would be unfair to allow a 4 team amalgamation into Intermediate, especially since SG are Division 2 League and will be challenging Junior. TP, Corlough and Kildallan would only be able for intermediate at this stage and with the proper management and training together could maybe do well. That could leave Swad and SG to combine for Senior perhaps.

Indeed,Aaron Duignan is another big miss for Kildallan,hes emigrated too hasnt he?
Definetely amalgamations are the way to go to try and improve football in the county.
We need the likes of David Givney,Gearoid McK etc to be playing senior championship,and Senior championship football would give the likes of Kieran McManus the exposure that might see him get the recognition he deserves.
Well worth a go in the McKenna Cup and National League next year,as he has Size,Power and strength unlike too many of players on the scene right now.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: full moon on June 29, 2011, 04:56:48 PM
In the Celt it looks confirmed Hyland and Andrews staying on. Dont know what to make of that, most wont be too happy I'd say. The joint manager thing will never work anyway.
Ah well, I doubt we would get anyone better unless we had money, and by the looks of things we are low on funds.

Also see it looks like M Brennan is retiring from county. Real shame that, I think he is our best forward after Seanie quite easily. How he started neither game especially against Longford when we had several defenders in the forward line I'll never know. Another good player lost, at this stage we could line out a club XI that would defeat the County seniors easily.
But if we have the same management it is to be expected since he didnt get a chance.

Also next years panel will be picked by the end of the club Championship. Its fair to say there wil be alot of withdrawals by this time next year.

Agreed with you on this FM,and im sure Boojangles will be outspoken about the disgraceful treatment of his clubmate.
He was Cavan's player aginst Fermanagh last year,and changed the Wicklow game when he went out to midfield,where he dominated.
Yet hes deemed not good enough to start in either of the championship games shambles this year???
It would be a shame if thats the last time we have seen him in a Cavan jersey.

Westside

John Cunningham from Swad played with the Seniors in 2008. Decent player, big and strong but not up to County Standard.. Aaron Duignan is still at home but probably won't play football again due to injury. Totally agree with you on Givney and McKiernan, they need Senior Championship football to let them progress.
I like Brennan, nice lad, used to have a pub in Ballyc but he was woeful when he came on against Longford.. He'd be a useful lad to keep around though.

Just read The Celt, some very interesting reading.. Can anyone closer to the setup shed some light on what might have been said and between who in the dressing room after the game?? Also, Johnston does seem to be getting even more criticism this year than usual.. Even the Celt with the story on how he wouldn't give an interview.. Anyone think he this might get to him and he'd walk away?

Celt_Man

Keeping my own counsel on things here but I'll throw a few comments in for what their worth...

Does everybody in the county think that amalgamations are the answer to our problems?  That suddenly if we line out a Cavan team with 15 footballers playing Senior Club Championship that all will be well again.  You can probably gather from my tone what my opinion is on the matter...

Another point is that playing the Inter and Junior Championships before the Senior - basically to get them over and done and out of the way - would send a terrible message to all the Inter & Junior footballers in Cavan on how the value and importance of their championship - which would have to be a backward step surely.

Also not every great County footballer plays at a Senior club level in other counties - granted a fair few do but take for example Dick Clerkin in Monaghan, Brian Dooher in Tyrone....

While I'm definitely not against amalgamations just for the sake of it - they are a very useful thing to use in certain circumstances, I think they are being lined up as a quick fix and cover all solution to our current woes
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 29, 2011, 05:48:46 PM
Keeping my own counsel on things here but I'll throw a few comments in for what their worth...

Does everybody in the county think that amalgamations are the answer to our problems?  That suddenly if we line out a Cavan team with 15 footballers playing Senior Club Championship that all will be well again.  You can probably gather from my tone what my opinion is on the matter...

Another point is that playing the Inter and Junior Championships before the Senior - basically to get them over and done and out of the way - would send a terrible message to all the Inter & Junior footballers in Cavan on how the value and importance of their championship - which would have to be a backward step surely.

Also not every great County footballer plays at a Senior club level in other counties - granted a fair few do but take for example Dick Clerkin in Monaghan, Brian Dooher in Tyrone....

While I'm definitely not against amalgamations just for the sake of it - they are a very useful thing to use in certain circumstances, I think they are being lined up as a quick fix and cover all solution to our current woes

It certainly wont solve our problems on its own,it may help IMO.
Scheduling the Intermediate and Junior from say May-July, would shorten the season for some players no doubt,but ask yourself this CM,would winning an intermediate for Cootehill  in such a format take anything away from it? personally for me,i dont think it would take anything away from it
It would still be a memorable acheivement.
With regards to Tyrone/Monaghan.however,maybe im wrong and if i am point it out,but those two counties dont seem to have a problem getting some of their best club footballers to turn out for them like we seem to do. Some of the best performers in club football in Cavan just wont play for the county team. The likes of Carlow had the same problems with getting players from the great Eire Og teams to commit.
If you look at the Kerry system,virtually all of their county panelists with junior and intermediate clubs will play Senior Championship football  with the divisional sides, like East/South Kerry.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 29, 2011, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on June 29, 2011, 05:48:46 PM

It certainly wont solve our problems on its own,it may help IMO.
Scheduling the Intermediate and Junior from say May-July, would shorten the season for some players no doubt,but ask yourself this CM,would winning an intermediate for Cootehill  in such a format take anything away from it? personally for me,i dont think it would take anything away from it
It would still be a memorable acheivement.
With regards to Tyrone/Monaghan.however,maybe im wrong and if i am point it out,but those two counties dont seem to have a problem getting some of their best club footballers to turn out for them like we seem to do. Some of the best performers in club football in Cavan just wont play for the county team. The likes of Carlow had the same problems with getting players from the great Eire Og teams to commit.
If you look at the Kerry system,virtually all of their county panelists with junior and intermediate clubs will play Senior Championship football either with the divisional sides, like East/South Kerry.

No it certainly wouldn't but it would f**k up royally your preparation for Ulster Inter Club Champo and the same with Junior.  Not sure how you could factor in County Commitments into that too.

Only only club will win the championship though, for the 15 other clubs to be finished football in July... Jaysus the County would be like a ghost town with boys going off - serious knock on effect for coaching youngster within a club

Aye your right about Tyrone and Monaghan, in Cavan over the last number of years there has been a general feeling of apathy and indifference towards the County team and set-up and it will be hard shifted
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

rodney trotter

I know about Mckiernan meant the other lads like the cunningham and curran