Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 28, 2011, 11:01:20 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 28, 2011, 10:27:05 PM
4 appearances with the  Irish International Rules team.
6 All stars
3 Footballer of the year awards
5 All Irelands
8 Ulster Titles.
4 Sigersons
3 Ulster Clubs
3 All Ireland Clubs
5 SFC medals
3 time GAAboard poster of the year.

5 all Ireland's with Cavan and still playing and you must be 90 yrs old minimum, they breed tough ones in ballyhaise. :D

Indeed,but its the last one on that list,that im most proud of!!!

Westside

AC39 is right, as supporters who pay into games and have done over the years we are well entitled to give our opinions. Personally I don't want the admission I pay to go in the form of travel expenses or kit bags or jackets to a lad who will attend Oxegen on the weekend of a Championship game. In so much as any supporter "deserves" anything.. Cavan supporters deserve better than this.
I don't profess to be an expert or pretend that what I write here holds any weight. But you don't have to fly to know the sky is blue and you don't have to be a county player to know that something isn't right in Cavan football for the past few decades.

put-it-up-again

I drive home for a club game tonight and when I get back to Dublin and log on for a while I see that many of you have opened up your hearts to one another. Brought a tear to my eye!

At the end of the day no matter how good or bad any of us are I think we're a great bunch of lads and should meet up for a few pints some night ;D

footballmad

AC39 sorry for geeting you a little mad, not my intention, at the end of the day I only asked a simple question, what are we doing to improve cavan football right now? I didnt attack you or call you a joker or anything. Do you just want a poster that agrees with your views?Not much of a board if its a follow the leader.

Some collection Ballyhaiseman  ;)

Westside why do you pay into these games? I know if i went to a bad film in the cinema i wouldnt go and pay into it again.

Lads im not saying you have to be a county footballer to comment or have views thats defo not the case, im just saying that there is no point in running down the whole set-up and individuals involved and care so much about cavan football but have no intention of helping improve the situation.

Can you see where im coming from?

ps Cheers for the support ollie  ;D

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 29, 2011, 12:09:17 AM
I drive home for a club game tonight and when I get back to Dublin and log on for a while I see that many of you have opened up your hearts to one another. Brought a tear to my eye!

At the end of the day no matter how good or bad any of us are I think we're a great bunch of lads and should meet up for a few pints some night ;D

Don't get me started about that fecking game!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up-again

It coulda went either way in the end! Did you venture up near my end of the field?

And I don't think anyone on here needs to justify what they are doing to help Cavan football. What I would like to hear is what's the paid coaches and officials are doing - particularly at underage level.

Westside

football mad I pay into the McKenna Cup and League and Championship because I love the game and I love nights like the Wicklow game last year or Down a few years ago, seldom though those type of games are.. I will continue to support Cavan regardless of the state of the team. I was a committed player but never a talented one. I do my best to help my club which is all my expertise and time can allow.. I'm not the guy you want training an U-16 development squad. I think that effort in club sides filters through to the county, and that's enough for me to feel like I do my bit.

boojangles

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 28, 2011, 12:19:58 PM
And it can't be a coincidence that our last two managers both questioned our players. "Want to be county players but not live like one."

Thats the easy option to blame indisciplined players. These managers still picked these indisciplined players and kept them on panels.
Same with this set-up. A blind eye was turned to stuff at Christmas and since but some of these lads still went on to represent Cavan in the league and championship. A few months back all county players were told not to play with their clubs for the 2nd round of the League. Some lads obeyed it and some didnt. The writing was on the wall then. It was obvious that the players had no respect for the Management or their own team mates.
You will never build a winning mentality and a proper TEAM under these conditions.
And I really can't see how the current management can gain total respect now.
I hate harping back to 6-7 years ago but players feared Eamon Coleman and more importantly they respected him. We havent had a Manager like him since. (And thats with all respect to Mc Elkannon) Until we get a man who will come in and kick boys off physio tables, kick boys off panels for messing etc and kick boys up the behind for sauntering through trainings then we'r going nowhere. It may take 2 or 3 years but at least we can weed out whoever doesn't want to give 100%. Alot of the lads on the Cavan panel do give 100% but that isn't enough. We need everybody giving 100%. We are at a big enough disadvantage already due to the size and population of Cavan. We cannot afford to keep carrying passengers on panels and teams.

Terry has done an excellent job with the U-21 set-up and he should be left to that. After that unfortunately I think we need a change at Senior level.
I read a great piece on the Kildare set-up a month or so ago detailing the sacrifices the whole panel had made TOGETHER over the past 3 years since McGeeney came in. Fundraising for a new gym in the K-club was the full responsibility of the players. Every player had to raise 3,500 euro. He also had all the players doing some sort of Martial arts. That's only two examples of the responsibilities that each player took on to help better themselves and the team. It was either everybody all in or they were going nowhere.
2008 we were beaten by a last minute goal by Kildare. Look at the difference in the 2 counties now.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 29, 2011, 12:24:40 AM
It coulda went either way in the end! Did you venture up near my end of the field?

And I don't think anyone on here needs to justify what they are doing to help Cavan football. What I would like to hear is what's the paid coaches and officials are doing - particularly at underage level.

Ahh we were terrible in the second half.  Indeed I did not, where I was I remained throughout the game!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tommysmith

Lads posting their achievements to get valiadation from some fool so they can post on the internet  :D

One of the biggest problems in Cavan football is the attitude of the clubs.  There are people like us who will travel the country watching them and go to whatever games we can get to .  Most clubs only have a handful of loyal Cavan supporters as can be seen in attendances.

Unfortunatley in a lot of clubs there is f**k them attitude to the county team.  Lads will be happy now that Cavan our out of the championship.  Most of them would have been at the U21 final this year and that would have been the only game they were at this year.  I dont think players are given any encouragment to play for the county anymore as they may miss clubs games which all alot of people care about.

Benny

They are all coming out of the woodwork now!!

Like Footballmad am a long time reader, first time poster.

Have two points, firstly have to agree with Tommy's last post, the attitude of the majority of the clubs in Cavan is get the seniors out of the way and get on with the club scene. Dont get me wrong, a strong club scene is commendable, but we need to structure the club championship in such a way that instead of interfering with an with the All Ireland run it helps bring players on. Clubs hate to loose their players at important points in the playing year, hence players are not encouraged to play with the county. However sheltering panel members by asking them not to play with their clubs is wrong, the majority of players over U21 level need football and this p*sses the clubs off. If for example I was Mickey Brennan, and stuck by the rules of the County panel, I would have played less football than an ordinary club player this year so far.

My suggestion to this would be to run the Senior championship to include every club in the County. However do not give the options to the clubs to amalgamate, but the Co Board divides the County into 16 areas, 4x4 groups and appoint managers and coaches to each team. If a club is big enough they can enter on their own, Kingscourt for example, but in East Cavan shall we say, Cuchullains could join Killinkere etc...this not only brings potential county players to an acceptable level, it nurtures coaches and managers too. The championship and league for senior, inter and junior could run concurrently also, use the league to determine who the quaterfinalists would be for the championship?? The winners of the senior league would represent the county in Ulster, however the winners of the Divisional competition would be senior champions.

There are other ideas where you could run the leagues more compeitively, by awarding teams placed higher in the leagues seeding in the championship etc, this would improve competitiveness but would need to be further teased out.

Secondly and its something that no-one has mentioned yet and that is tiredness. We started last Sat with 5 players who had just completed a full U21 campaign, possibly Siegerson campaign and club games also. I will pick Geroid McKiernan as an example. Swad got to an All Ireland, he played Siegerson and he dipped in and out of the seniors throughout the league. In actual fact I would say since he came back from the US at the end of last summer he could on average have played 3 games a week. Now from speaking to Swad men I know, Gearoid is GAA mad and has no problem doing this but against Donegal and Longford were we asking too much of the likes of McKiernan and Murray to carry the can??? Should they not have been used as impact subs instead?? or at least in a less central role?? Just a thought??

On a last note wheras I am disappointed with how we have bowed out, 2011 for me will always be about that game vs Tyrone in Enniskillen, nights like that is what supporting Cavan is all about, however few and far between they may be..

footballmad

Tommy are you ok? What has annoyed you? Please do tell.

Now take a few breaths and relax.............................................. you ok now? Ok go back and look at my posts, now find the word achievements.
Did i ever as for a list of this? Not too many people will have alot to brag about in this county.

Ill break it down for you.. ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING TO HELP CAVAN FOOTBALL?
When answering this please note, 1) this does not involve posting on the board and 2) been very childish  :P

PIU- Sounds like you do nothing aswell

mylestheslasher

Quote from: footballmad on June 29, 2011, 12:05:53 PM

Now take a few breaths and relax.............................................. you ok now? Ok go back and look at my posts, now find the word achievements.
Did i ever as for a list of this? Not too many people will have alot to brag about in this county.

When answering this please note, 1) this does not involve posting on the board and 2) been very childish  :P

Why does it sound like he does nothing, just because he didn't tell you on this board?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Benny on June 29, 2011, 11:14:12 AM
They are all coming out of the woodwork now!!

Like Footballmad am a long time reader, first time poster.

Have two points, firstly have to agree with Tommy's last post, the attitude of the majority of the clubs in Cavan is get the seniors out of the way and get on with the club scene. Dont get me wrong, a strong club scene is commendable, but we need to structure the club championship in such a way that instead of interfering with an with the All Ireland run it helps bring players on. Clubs hate to loose their players at important points in the playing year, hence players are not encouraged to play with the county. However sheltering panel members by asking them not to play with their clubs is wrong, the majority of players over U21 level need football and this p*sses the clubs off. If for example I was Mickey Brennan, and stuck by the rules of the County panel, I would have played less football than an ordinary club player this year so far.

My suggestion to this would be to run the Senior championship to include every club in the County. However do not give the options to the clubs to amalgamate, but the Co Board divides the County into 16 areas, 4x4 groups and appoint managers and coaches to each team. If a club is big enough they can enter on their own, Kingscourt for example, but in East Cavan shall we say, Cuchullains could join Killinkere etc...this not only brings potential county players to an acceptable level, it nurtures coaches and managers too. The championship and league for senior, inter and junior could run concurrently also, use the league to determine who the quaterfinalists would be for the championship?? The winners of the senior league would represent the county in Ulster, however the winners of the Divisional competition would be senior champions.

There are other ideas where you could run the leagues more compeitively, by awarding teams placed higher in the leagues seeding in the championship etc, this would improve competitiveness but would need to be further teased out.

Secondly and its something that no-one has mentioned yet and that is tiredness. We started last Sat with 5 players who had just completed a full U21 campaign, possibly Siegerson campaign and club games also. I will pick Geroid McKiernan as an example. Swad got to an All Ireland, he played Siegerson and he dipped in and out of the seniors throughout the league. In actual fact I would say since he came back from the US at the end of last summer he could on average have played 3 games a week. Now from speaking to Swad men I know, Gearoid is GAA mad and has no problem doing this but against Donegal and Longford were we asking too much of the likes of McKiernan and Murray to carry the can??? Should they not have been used as impact subs instead?? or at least in a less central role?? Just a thought??

On a last note wheras I am disappointed with how we have bowed out, 2011 for me will always be about that game vs Tyrone in Enniskillen, nights like that is what supporting Cavan is all about, however few and far between they may be..

Good post Benny and welcome to the board.
I agree with most of that.
We need to run the Junior and Intermediate off before the senior,and then as you say have an enlarged Senior Championship.
Running them concurrently just will not work,as i know Blackwater Gaels,had Munterconnacht,Maghera and Mountugent players playing both Junior and Senior Championship in the one weekend 2 years back,which is just not on.

Cavan Gaels
Lacken
Kingscourt
Redhills
Mullahoran
Drumalee
Belturbet
Lavey
Castlerahan
Gowna
Denn
Ballinagh
Cuchullains
Killygarry
Ramor

+Amalgamations like
(Drumlane,Killeshandra)
(Drumgoon,Cootehill)  :D
(Drung,Kill,Laragh)
(Shercock,Knockbride)
(Baileborough,Killinkere)
(Buttlersbridge,Ballyhaise)
(Crosserlough,Ballymachugh)
(Mountnugent,Maghera,Munterconnacht)
(Kildallan,Templeport)
(Arva,Cornafean)
(Swad,Corough,Shannon Gaels)

That would be a 26 team Senior championship.
With every club being represented in the Senior championship

put-it-up-again

Quote from: footballmad on June 29, 2011, 12:05:53 PM

I'm not justifying myself to you, I know what I've done! What club are you from? Maybe you already stated it but I didn't see it...