Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal

Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 28, 2011, 01:48:59 PM
Good point Westside. Already this year Minnagh and Barry Reilly didn't bother.

Is it possible that both clubs have a better setup than the county? I've heard one of the kingscourt lads left the panel as club training was tougher.Also,in redhills ive heard you wouldnt dare be seen drinking without having permission from the manger,and fellow players would have no problem hanging you if they saw you drinking.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

BallyhaiseMan

We have one of the stars of the Under 21 team as a member on here aswell, and i havent seen him try and defend that duo.
Does Hyland deserve credit for the under 21's this year? Most definetly,he done a great job with them.
But this isnt the under 21's, this is Senior IC football, and we have been embarrassed in championship football this year.

-The lack of a gameplan to beat Donegals blanket defence.
-Playing 2 extra men in defence when we were 6 points down in the second half.
-Putting Michael Brady in his first senior game  on Paul Barden.
-Starting a clearly unfit Niall Murray against Longford

These are just 4 absolutely chronic decisions on behalf of the senior management in two games.
Dougal, i was told that aswell that some of the Kingscourt lads werent impressed with training at all,andwere supposed to have said that their club training was far superior.

Westside

Redhills have done something right. A junior side what.. 6 years ago.. now sitting pretty at the top of Division 1? Minagh has a future as a corner back or full back if he wants it. I sincerely hope he plays for Cavan next year. Barry Reilly is a strange one, doesn't have it physically yet but has a great football brain. He was poor in the latter stages of the U21 but he's a future centre forward if he can deliver on his potential IMO.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 28, 2011, 01:47:53 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 28, 2011, 01:34:36 PM
ACDC and Mr deeds, welcome to the Cavan GAA board thread.

Be warned,participation may cause clinical despression.

I'm at the stage where all the sharp objects in my house are kept out of view  :P

I introduced my sky and tv remote controls to the wall,saturday night when i got home.  ;D
I would say Cavan football knocks about 10 years off our life expectancy.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on June 28, 2011, 02:17:43 PM
Redhills have done something right. A junior side what.. 6 years ago.. now sitting pretty at the top of Division 1? Minagh has a future as a corner back or full back if he wants it. I sincerely hope he plays for Cavan next year. Barry Reilly is a strange one, doesn't have it physically yet but has a great football brain. He was poor in the latter stages of the U21 but he's a future centre forward if he can deliver on his potential IMO.
You're correct there WS
Redhills probably train harder than any nearly other club in the county.
They have a new enough club gym,and by all accounts nearly every player is in it 4/5 nights a week.
No such thing as lack of committment in that club.

mrdeeds

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 28, 2011, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 28, 2011, 01:47:53 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 28, 2011, 01:34:36 PM
ACDC and Mr deeds, welcome to the Cavan GAA board thread.

Be warned,participation may cause clinical despression.

I'm at the stage where all the sharp objects in my house are kept out of view  :P

I introduced my sky and tv remote controls to the wall,saturday night when i got home.  ;D
I would say Cavan football knocks about 10 years off our life expectancy.

Well I'm a long time poster on hoganstand, started reading this forum and a bit more truth here. Posts go up less edited. The depression set in long ago but some rare moments of joy. 1997, u21's etc... If we had too much we would not appreciate it. This year's seniors though. Even since Val was last in job we had notable results, running Armagh close with 14 players for the 70mins, drawing with eventual all ireland winners Tyrone, an epic comeback against Down. Days in Clones and the craic with the opposition fans because you had given a good account of yourselves. Now no passion.

rodney trotter

Bud Fitzpatrick was a player who i thought would have made a impact this year but played very little.. I don't think he was even on the panel for the donegal Longford games. Pierson started the year off very well in the mckenna cup but hardly featured during the league which was stange and wasn't included in the championship panel. Alan Clarke was decent with Cavan last year and very solid with kingscourt yet they stuck him corner back in the league and he soon lost his place and left. Eoin Mcguigan was dropped before the league which i always couldn't figure out as he done well last year in his only year of county football. These were some of the comical things andrews/hyland did during the year.. Dropping Mc keever for the Donegal game was probaly the worst !

PhilsJemmysField

Lads Cavan senior football is history for another year --- Back to the boring auld Club stuff again

Tuesday, 28th June 2011 @ 8pm
A.C.F.L. Division 2
Bailieborough v Cootehill
Referee:  Martin Brady – Ballinagh

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 @ 8pm
A.C.F.L. Division 1
Lacken v Gowna
Referee:  Noel Mooney
Ballinagh v Castlerahan
Referee:  Ollie Donohoe
Ballyhaise v Belturbet
Referee:  Thomas Doonan
Lavey v Killeshandra
Referee:  Kieran McCarville

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 @ 8pm
A.C.F.L. Division 2
Swanlinbar v Drung
Referee:  Martin Brady - Lacken

Friday, 01st July 2011 @ 8.15pm
A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 11
Lavey v Mullahoran
Referee:  Ciaran McCarville

Friday, 01st July 2011 @ 8pm
A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 11
Drumalee v Cootehill
Referee:  James Clarke

Friday, 01st July 2011 @ 7pm
A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 1 Round 11
Lavey v Mullahoran
Referee:  Ciaran McCarville

Saturday, 02nd July 2011 @ 6pm
A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 1 Round 11
Gowna v Castlerahan (Game at 7.30pm)
Referee:  Martin Brady Ballinagh
Killygarry v Ballyhaise
Referee:  Raymond Kelly
Kingscourt v Ballinagh (Game at 7.30pm)
Referee:  John Cassidy

Lacken v Ramor Utd
Referee:  Packie Smith

Saturday, 02nd July 2011 @ 6pm
A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 2 Round 11
Crosserlough v Swanlinbar
Referee:  Ollie Donohoe
Denn v Cornafean
Referee:  Padraig Kelleher
Drung v Butlersbridge
Referee:  Donal Reilly
Kill v Bailieborough
Referee:  Chris McCaffrey
Killinkere v Shercock (Game at 7.30pm)
Referee:  Jimmy Galligan - Lacken
Knockbride v Shannon Gaels
Referee:  Seamus O'Connor

Saturday, 02nd July 2011 @ 7.30pm
A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 11
Cuchulainns v Redhills
Referee:  Brendan Sweeney
Drumlane v Cavan Gaels (Game at 8pm)
Referee:  Martin Brady - Lacken
Gowna v Castlerahan (Game at 6pm)
Referee:  Martin Brady - Ballinagh
Killeshandra v Belturbet
Referee:  Brian Crowe
Killygarry v Ballyhaise
Referee:  Raymond Kelly
Kingscourt v Ballinagh (Game at 6pm)
Referee:  John Cassidy
Lacken v Ramor Utd
Referee:  Packie Smith

A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 11
Crosserlough v Swanlinbar
Referee:  Ollie Dohohoe
Denn v Cornafean
Referee:  Padraig Kelleher
Drumgoon v Cavan Gaels (Game at 4pm)
Referee:  Gerry Sheridan
Drung v Butlersbridge
Referee:  Donal Reilly
Kill v Bailieborough
Referee:  Chris McCaffrey
Killinkere v Shercock (Game at 6pm)
Referee:  Jimmy Galligan - Lacken
Knockbride v Shannon Gaels
Referee:  Seamus O'Connor

A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 12
Arva v Corlough
Referee:  Margaret Farrelly
Templeport v Ballyconnell First Ulsters
Referee:  Robbie McDermott
Munterconnacht v Laragh Utd
Referee:  Noel Mooney
Mountnugent v Maghera
Referee:  Martin Sexton

Sunday, 03rd July 2011 @ 1pm
A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 2 Round 11
Drumalee v Cootehill
Referee:  Ronan Bannon

Sunday, 03rd July 2011 @ 1pm
A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 3 Round 12
Ballymachugh v Killeshandra
Referee:  Conor Douneen
Crosserlough v Laragh Utd
Referee:  Liam Kelly
Killinkere v Mountnugent
Referee:  Harry Conaty

anglocelt39

Quote from: ACDC on June 28, 2011, 11:44:05 AM
QuoteReturning to unfit, uncommitted players year after year in the hope that something is going to change. Putting out a team that is physically at a disadvantage to every other county in the Country and expecting they are somehow going to find a way around that.

We Cavan supporters are delusional. We come up with random shite and keep going with it, even when it's not true or relevant. I honestly think, on average, we are less intelligent than other counties.

Never posted before but just had to jump in when I saw the post above.
What a groundless statement. Who are the unfit, uncommited players we've turned to year after year? Bear in mind that we brought in seven debutants last year and nine over two games this year. We have done the opposite - we've changed half the team every year or two. Your point is completely factually wrong.

QuoteThe signs were there even in the last year we had a bit of modest success under McIlkennon. During the game against Mayo in Dr Hyde Park we had a few subs came on that day who looked in a level of condition you used to see in Junior games circa 1970's-a neutral mate of mine turned to me and asked if we were having a laugh.

Again, you pulled this from your hole!
The subs used that day were a 17-year-old Mackey (his debut), Gaynor (always a greyhound), Collins (great shape), Paddy Brady (at 21, he was flying) and John Tierney.
Tierney always carried a few pounds, but your thing of "a few of the subs made my neutral mate think we were having a laugh" is more revisionist spoofing, I'm afraid.
Nothing personal here, mate, just typical of Cavan supporters. Rant away and ignore the truth.
The truth is we have 30 footballers in Cavan as good as a lot of counties, but they're not committed enough. They either won't play county at all (as in the case of some of the Gaels and Kingscourt boys) or they'll play but not really, really put it in.
You have to torture yourself to make it at county level these days and we don't have 30 willing to do that. It's as simple as that, I'm afraid.
It's sad but it's true.

Welcome on board ACDC. I could make a lot of points in response but I'll limit myself to a few. You ask me who the unfit, uncommitted players we have turned to year after year? You then tell us that the problem is that you will get lads who will play but not "really, really put it in". So in a way you've answered your own question. I don't want to be getting on the cases of individual players and I'd like to think that the latest move towards youth is a positive move however, since you've put a direct question I'll give you a few hints. The team that lined out last Saturday included the following-one guy who has withdrawn and being asked back into the panel on countless times over the past 2 to 3 years, two lads who went off to the USA mid championship leading Keogan to state they would never tog out again for Cavan as long as he was involved, one chap who got "lost" on the way to a pitch opening against the Dubs down in West Cavan 4 or 5 years ago and a lad that was, supposedly, picked up on the way to a qualifier game against Wicklow,  I think, directly from the Oxegen festival. Now maybe all these lads have now mended their ways and are model inter county footballers but in some counties I think the door might have been shut on one or two of them by now.

I wouldn't agree with your suggestion that there are not 30 players in the County who are committed to the demands of playing at a decent inter county level. We heard that for enough years before McHugh got involved and I'd like to think that the bit of improvement at underage level over the last two years might be a positive sign for the future. If your assessment is true and we have more of the last two years at championship level to look forward to for the foreseeable future it's a bloody depressing future for us on the GAA front at any rate.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on June 28, 2011, 05:13:53 PM
Quote from: ACDC on June 28, 2011, 11:44:05 AM
QuoteReturning to unfit, uncommitted players year after year in the hope that something is going to change. Putting out a team that is physically at a disadvantage to every other county in the Country and expecting they are somehow going to find a way around that.

We Cavan supporters are delusional. We come up with random shite and keep going with it, even when it's not true or relevant. I honestly think, on average, we are less intelligent than other counties.

Never posted before but just had to jump in when I saw the post above.
What a groundless statement. Who are the unfit, uncommited players we've turned to year after year? Bear in mind that we brought in seven debutants last year and nine over two games this year. We have done the opposite - we've changed half the team every year or two. Your point is completely factually wrong.

QuoteThe signs were there even in the last year we had a bit of modest success under McIlkennon. During the game against Mayo in Dr Hyde Park we had a few subs came on that day who looked in a level of condition you used to see in Junior games circa 1970's-a neutral mate of mine turned to me and asked if we were having a laugh.

Again, you pulled this from your hole!
The subs used that day were a 17-year-old Mackey (his debut), Gaynor (always a greyhound), Collins (great shape), Paddy Brady (at 21, he was flying) and John Tierney.
Tierney always carried a few pounds, but your thing of "a few of the subs made my neutral mate think we were having a laugh" is more revisionist spoofing, I'm afraid.
Nothing personal here, mate, just typical of Cavan supporters. Rant away and ignore the truth.
The truth is we have 30 footballers in Cavan as good as a lot of counties, but they're not committed enough. They either won't play county at all (as in the case of some of the Gaels and Kingscourt boys) or they'll play but not really, really put it in.
You have to torture yourself to make it at county level these days and we don't have 30 willing to do that. It's as simple as that, I'm afraid.
It's sad but it's true.

Welcome on board ACDC. I could make a lot of points in response but I'll limit myself to a few. You ask me who the unfit, uncommitted players we have turned to year after year? You then tell us that the problem is that you will get lads who will play but not "really, really put it in". So in a way you've answered your own question. I don't want to be getting on the cases of individual players and I'd like to think that the latest move towards youth is a positive move however, since you've put a direct question I'll give you a few hints. The team that lined out last Saturday included the following-one guy who has withdrawn and being asked back into the panel on countless times over the past 2 to 3 years, two lads who went off to the USA mid championship leading Keogan to state they would never tog out again for Cavan as long as he was involved, one chap who got "lost" on the way to a pitch opening against the Dubs down in West Cavan 4 or 5 years ago and a lad that was, supposedly, picked up on the way to a qualifier game against Wicklow,  I think, directly from the Oxegen festival. Now maybe all these lads have now mended their ways and are model inter county footballers but in some counties I think the door might have been shut on one or two of them by now.

I wouldn't agree with your suggestion that there are not 30 players in the County who are committed to the demands of playing at a decent inter county level. We heard that for enough years before McHugh got involved and I'd like to think that the bit of improvement at underage level over the last two years might be a positive sign for the future. If your assessment is true and we have more of the last two years at championship level to look forward to for the foreseeable future it's a bloody depressing future for us on the GAA front at any rate.

Who was that?

footballmad

Well lads, long time reader of the board and posted a few years back but still been reading. Like looking the main board and pop in here from time to time to see what people are thinking. There are some good post, some insightful posts and of course some idiotic post with some personal attacks put in for good measure.
I know it's a bad situation (Cavan football)  at the moment and what not with the current team and poor showings so don't think I'm trying to move off topic or that,
But I have one question for you boys, What have you done to improve Cavan football? Individually what sacrifices, efforts, commitments or anything excluding posting on a message board that is, done to help Cavan football improve. I know some of you boys play football, are any of you on the county panel or ever been? even on an U-16 development panal? So if you have could you list all the work you have put in to improve this situation? ( again posting on a message board will not be counted  ) I think it would make for interesting all be it short reading but I hope to been shocked.

BallyhaiseMan?
rodney trotter?
anglocelt39?
tommysmith?
Breffni_Yank?
mrdeeds?
Dougal?
Westside?
put-it-up-again?
Dougal?
PhilsJemmysField?
mylestheslasher?

Looking forward To this..

mylestheslasher

Quote from: footballmad on June 28, 2011, 07:09:57 PM
Well lads, long time reader of the board and posted a few years back but still been reading. Like looking the main board and pop in here from time to time to see what people are thinking. There are some good post, some insightful posts and of course some idiotic post with some personal attacks put in for good measure.
I know it's a bad situation (Cavan football)  at the moment and what not with the current team and poor showings so don't think I'm trying to move off topic or that,
But I have one question for you boys, What have you done to improve Cavan football? Individually what sacrifices, efforts, commitments or anything excluding posting on a message board that is, done to help Cavan football improve. I know some of you boys play football, are any of you on the county panel or ever been? even on an U-16 development panal? So if you have could you list all the work you have put in to improve this situation? ( again posting on a message board will not be counted  ) I think it would make for interesting all be it short reading but I hope to been shocked.

BallyhaiseMan?
rodney trotter?
anglocelt39?
tommysmith?
Breffni_Yank?
mrdeeds?
Dougal?
Westside?
put-it-up-again?
Dougal?
PhilsJemmysField?
mylestheslasher?

With a post like this the poster would normally set an example and start by listing there own efforts first, ill be glad to post my own modest efforts thereafter.

tommysmith

Quote from: footballmad on June 28, 2011, 07:09:57 PM

BallyhaiseMan?
rodney trotter?
anglocelt39?
tommysmith?
Breffni_Yank?
mrdeeds?
Dougal?
Westside?
put-it-up-again?
Dougal?
PhilsJemmysField?
mylestheslasher?

I fill the team bus with diesel.

mrdeeds

I'll take that up, personally never played football at that standard, yeah played some senior championship football but more of a junior player and I accept that. If I was at that standard I would act and behave like an inter-county player. When I was playing club championship football I respected drink bans and trained hard. I know some of the players and their carry on which is shocking and that actually makes it harder to look at. They're wasting their talent some of them and I would give a nut to have half of it. With regards what I have done to improve with the counties football, I went into the administration side of it and I go to county board meetings. Sat in on discussions on how to improve football in Cavan during the last few years, one result being the idea of two points for a free of the ground under age. Also make contributions at county level. At club level I have helped with under age coaching. I never have mentioned any individuals names, only mentioning incidents, which lets be honest are not appropriate. And even if I never played football what about all the money I have invested in it at club level and county to fund the players gear, travel costs, expenses. It is the fans that pay, not the players so they are entitled to an opinion.

Denn Forever

footballmad, interesting questions

BHM and Boojangles play for Div 1 teams and I assume they prepare hard for these.

Myles is in Sligo and may be doing stuff there but he can't help Cavan from there.

Other lads are involved in their clubs or are living away fom Cavan.

Was involved back in the day when Backs and Forwards was the method of choice to hone preparedness before the big championship game.

What can they do to make a difference when being part of a development squad or even as part of the panel?

A more interesting question would be are any posters Club officials or delagates to the County Board? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...