Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

That was hard to watch.. Cavan did well in the first half, a fair few scores came from turnovers and persistence, went 3 points down and upped the tempo and work rate to lead at half time. Keating was brilliant in the first half and so was McEnroe who looked very good at CHB.

The second half we let in the goal and just fell apart.. Mickey Brennan came on, kicked a wide with his first kick, to a Longford man with his next two resulting in two more Longford scores, and then got the ball 20 metres out at 4 points down and wouldn't take his point, pushed for a goal that wasn't there..
McCutcheon was poor, and Johnston was terrible. I didn't think Lyng was that bad myself, he certainly worked and tackled well and got a few turnovers. McDermot was a passenger and it just wasn't his day. Givney caught some nice ball at times.
Cavan just gave away free after free and McCormack kicked every single one over the bar. Our defence is just woeful..

The referee was brutal, as bad as I have seen. He worked himself into a frenzy in the last 15 minutes and almost every foul, literally, was a yellow card. There was hardly a dirty stroke yet Cavan ended with 13 players. He didn't beat us but he certainly didn't help the cause..

mylestheslasher

I think that's the end of me going to watch this Shite. The worst I have ever seen on the pitch and on the line. I will post more later but I will just say I have a worse view of that than even bhm above.

Swadman

Oh Dear.......
O sweet divine Jsssssssssssss

mylestheslasher

Ok - this is the "calmed down and slept on" it version of events...

That was the most gutless effort I have ever seen from a Cavan team in a lot of years following them. Just to be clear, we allowed LONGFORD to come into Breffni park and beat the crap out of us by 11 points, if it were 5/6 more it still would have been fair. AS BHM stated above, what in the name of god is the idea of putting a small U21 like Michael Brady marking Paul Barden - did they even know who Paul Barden is??? McEnroe started at corner back and got roasted for the first 15 minutes before being moved to half back. In fairness he played better picking up some breaks but thats only in relation to the other performances. Our midfiled pairing might have looked ok when catching a few nice balls but they have zero mobility and every break Longford got they powered through the middle. Lyng was atrocious in what he was there to do, create! Ok he turned the ball over a few times but he gave it away twice as many times. Keating was good and used his strength well and I thought Tom Corr played well considering he was totally isolated on Kavanagh. That brings me onto Captain Fantastic himself, hiding behind his man on the small square. The cavan team would get more inspiration watching Longford playing than looking to Johnston. Maybe he should stick to doing the interviews to the times, crying about how all his friends get to croke park and he doesn't. Two championship games and 1 point from play for Johnston - inspirational.

A couple of more general points...

Backs have no idea how to tackle. Longford kicked 20 wides in their first game against Laois so clearly not the most potent of forward lines. For me a back tries to get out in front or level and break the ball away. If he is going to be 2nd he must stay on his feet, shadow the forward from goal side and apply some pressure - ie make it difficult to shoot. This simple idea is missing from our guys who will run 20 yards to catch up to a forward and then drag him to the ground. What sort of f**king training is done with these lads?

Kick passing and hand passing were terrible. Longford didn't even bother with a mass defense or sweepers and we just kept kicking the ball to them. Have we just terrible players or again I ask what the hell are we doing in training?

Fitness. Have a look at Longfords 2nd goal. We gave the ball away and I watched 4 Longford players break from their own 45 sprint the whole pitch and the entire Cavan effort where 30 meters behind them when the got to our goal. 3 of their players were unmarked at that point. An absolute farce if lads are not even fit.

Physique. I know there are a lot of U21's in their but have a look at the other guys too. Who has a bit of muscle on them. Nesty (most likely from playing with a good Dublin club team), Keating and McCutcheon? Johnston is around a while and still a skinny little boy. Next time you see Laois play have a look at how they bulked up over the winter. Look at small players like Ross Munnelly and see the muscle he has put on. Our team cannot break tackles and because of this 80% of ball brought into contact is spilled. Another effect is that our attacks are easily slowed down as players are just held up too easily. Finally, in the age of blanket defense we have no hope of breaking it down without men who can break a tackle. Has anyone in the Cavan management even noticed this?

In summary there was no fight on the pitch and the management have a team that is so utterly un-prepared that it beggars belief. Make no mistake, we are now in the bottom 3 teams in Ireland with Fermanagh (but then they are missing effectively their whole team) and Kilkenny.

PS - If anyone would like to know what senior player was on the piss in Killeshandra until the early hours of last Saturday feel free to pm me - another joker that should be kicked to touch.

tommysmith

Things are as bad.

Divison 3 and not  a hope of getting out off it.
Just do enough to stay in it each year but that will change shortly aswell.

Not 1 leader on pitch who will rally lads when things go bad, as soon as Longford went 3/4 up yesterday it was clear that they were going to go on and win.

No point in picking on individual players because as a team they are not good enough, some may perform better with a good team around them but in general they are all shite.

As for managment i dont know i dont think they have a clue but who would want to manage Cavan a team with no pride or fear of losing.

I'd say there will be a good session in Mackeys pub today maybe we should all land up and tell them what we thing off them. 

Just on the game and sorry for whinning on but did Cavan catch one ball at midfield yesterday in the first half, Longford were supposed to be poor at midfield and seemed to clean cavan out of it the whole half.

Just to finish off my rant it was good to see some of the lads had their hair looking well, the posing c***ts.

tommysmith

Good posts myles.

The hoganstand even has some decent posts about cavan football if any of yas can be bothered.

rodney trotter

Two hammerings in two championship game is a disaster.. That defeat yesterday was probaly worse than against cork last year..Cork are a top team while longford are a bit closer to our standard.. I heard Martin Mchugh saying after the match that cavan had very few players playing yesterday of inter county standard and he is probaly right. I dont some of the u21s are even good enough for senior level.. Thought it couldn't get any worse than the tommy carr era but its proabaly as bad now. Under keoghan while not many rated him as a manager they worked hard and actually played some good football, The football being played under hyland/andrews has been shite pardon my french >:(

put-it-up-again

I think i'll delete my account before I say something I regret......

Breffni_Yank

Where do you start. Hammered at home twice in the championship. No game plan. No particular style of football. No leadership.

The difference between watching the u21 team play and the seniors is frightening. At least they tried and looked like they wanted to play with each other.

What did Val say after the game to justify that?

By the way, thought we looked less fit than Longford as well. Would love to know what is going on at training. Do they practice tackling at all?

BallyhaiseMan

A change in culture and style is badly  needed aswell.
We may start experimenting with the likes of Packie Leddy and maybe Declan McKiernan in the full forward line in the league and install some sort of long ball game,because we are absolutely clueless when it comes to breaking down teams using a short game and we have been for a very long time.

put-it-up-again

Minors lost to Tipp in a challenge today by three points. I really don't expect them to beat Tyrone

Westside

Not a hope of our Minors beating Tyrone.. They are a poor team, Antrim were just worse than we were.

put-it-up-again

I recommend going onto the Hoganstand and reading what Sean O Rinn is saying. The chap is not near well. He wants to chair a committee to review Cavan football and where it is going wrong. Does our County Board actually pay this numpty?

He reckons Val should have the senior job by himself as well.

Denn Forever

In a way, it is lucky we didn't get through.

Why?  Cos we'd have to play Tyrone?

No, Oxegen is on that weekend.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 26, 2011, 10:01:27 PM
I recommend going onto the Hoganstand and reading what Sean O Rinn is saying. The chap is not near well. He wants to chair a committee to review Cavan football and where it is going wrong. Does our County Board actually pay this numpty?

He reckons Val should have the senior job by himself as well.

He is a dose and a half, sure wasn't he running the old Cavan website - the abortion of a one that it was
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010