Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Bigmac i knew well that would appear in the Celt.

The sports editor used to be a regular enough poster here.

Ollie

I was a little disappointed to read Terry Hylands comments in the Celt. He didn't seem too optimistic about winning on Saturday nor did he give the supporters any reason to seem hopeful. He spoke about how they are building a team for 2012 and looking towards promotion from Div 3 which is all well and good but you can't seriously expect to achieve promotion in less then 12 months time if you're unable to beat Longford at home in the present time. I think the fact that they've only had one training session in the last week says a lot.
I think regardless of club games being on, There should have been some sort of training session in the immediate aftermath of the Donegal game to at least Discuss were it went wrong and what can be improved in the short term in order to compete sufficiently against Longford. I understand that Terry & Val are putting a team together for the future and I think they've done reasonably well up to now but I think the biggest thing missing from Cavan Teams in recent years is a work ethic and winning mentality within the team. That's something that needs to be installed in the players now and It won't be achieved by poor preparation before an important Qualifier game. The last thing we need is a another soul destroying defeat by a team ranked below us in the league. Fail to prepare then prepare to fail.

Westside

No sign of a team yet lads?

mylestheslasher

I was also unimpressed with both Hyland and Andrews not taking some responsibility for the complete disaster that were their tactics against donegal. It was all about players and now young they were etc etc. I wonder, nervously, what influence king has in that setup?

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Ollie on June 22, 2011, 09:31:02 PM
I was a little disappointed to read Terry Hylands comments in the Celt. He didn't seem too optimistic about winning on Saturday nor did he give the supporters any reason to seem hopeful. He spoke about how they are building a team for 2012 and looking towards promotion from Div 3 which is all well and good but you can't seriously expect to achieve promotion in less then 12 months time if you're unable to beat Longford at home in the present time. I think the fact that they've only had one training session in the last week says a lot.
I think regardless of club games being on, There should have been some sort of training session in the immediate aftermath of the Donegal game to at least Discuss were it went wrong and what can be improved in the short term in order to compete sufficiently against Longford. I understand that Terry & Val are putting a team together for the future and I think they've done reasonably well up to now but I think the biggest thing missing from Cavan Teams in recent years is a work ethic and winning mentality within the team. That's something that needs to be installed in the players now and It won't be achieved by poor preparation before an important Qualifier game. The last thing we need is a another soul destroying defeat by a team ranked below us in the league. Fail to prepare then prepare to fail.

The u21's this year seemed to naturally have that, a genuine passion and hunger to fight for each other and it clearly showed. I don't know how many times I saw Jack Brady or Niall McDermott causing a turnover and even I remember against Dongeal there was a big goal mouth scramble and two or three defenders were straight in behind the keeper as they scrambled it clear between them. You just got the impression that they would back each other for the hilt

Watching the senior team against Donegal did anyone else get the feeling that there is no spark between the group or a collective sense of togetherness. How many times did we just let Donegal stroll up the pitch without putting in a tackle or even attempting to?

I know most of the u21 team is nowhere near senior IC yet and no more than 5 of them should be playing but what did they do that was so different? Where did they get this work ethic from? Was it Hyland? If so, why cant he get it out of the seniors?

PS Myles, is King really that clueless?

tommysmith

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on June 23, 2011, 12:50:08 AM

PS Myles, is King really that clueless?

From talking to a few lads from Ballymachugh i would say yes.

boojangles

Quote from: Ollie on June 22, 2011, 09:31:02 PM

They met up the Tuesday after the Donegal game.

PhilsJemmysField

There was a "mind" doctor involved in the U21 setup. Not sure if he is involved in the senior setup. In fairness getting the experienced lads to gel with the new boys coming in is a different task to getting an underage team bonding. Hopefully Hyland is trying to set expectations low while doing the work in the background.  Still hopeful that at the very least we had no defections which shows that they are are starting to work as one unit with one set of goals. Still looking forward to the weekend and with the introduction of a little bit of class. Would be a big advocate for Fannin as well. We can get over this hurdle if we are smart with the ball so we need to push up on them and force the game to be played in their half.

full moon

I dont like all this 2012 talk either, Saturday is a must win game. At the moment I dont care about 2012 and nor does anyone else. If we cant beat Longford now, I dont expect a big improvement next year.

And surely if we lose Saturday they may not even be the managers next year? There will be a fair few people calling for a new manager next year if we lose Saturday.

tommysmith

Quote from: full moon on June 23, 2011, 04:52:49 PM
I dont like all this 2012 talk either, Saturday is a must win game. At the moment I dont care about 2012 and nor does anyone else. If we cant beat Longford now, I dont expect a big improvement next year.

And surely if we lose Saturday they may not even be the managers next year? There will be a fair few people calling for a new manager next year if we lose Saturday.

As someone said earlier they seem to be making excuses already which isnt a good sign. 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on June 23, 2011, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 23, 2011, 04:52:49 PM

I hope all this talk of next year is a clever ploy to keep the pressure of the players and not stupid loose talk which puts players at a psychological disadvantage

As someone said earlier they seem to be making excuses already which isnt a good sign.

Denn Forever

Maybe James could ask his Uncle to come on board to get their minds right?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 24, 2011, 11:23:54 AM

cavan4sam

That man has trouble getting his own head right never mind the minds of 30 young lads!!!

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 24, 2011, 11:23:54 AM

James Mc Enroe?