Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Didn't get to see the match and to be honest amn't really pushed about digging it out anywhere on the internet either. I got to listen to Tynan on Northern Sound, the dubious merits of which for actually gaining an insight into the match in question having already been discussed, I'm in no position to offer my own.

I agree, however, with the poster above that if this season is about a new broom sweeping clean, then there's no point hitting the short-termism panic button and peppering the side with failures from previous reigns. If lads like McKeever and Flanagan are fit though - to echo ac39 above - I can see them starting because while team building is vital in Cavan right now, they do need a few slightly experienced heads around them. Overall, not surprised by the result and therefore not overly disappointed tbh although the abject manner of the performance and the embarrassingly clueless approach (by all accounts here) give cause for concern in the longer term.

I worry more about the minors now anyway, we got a good twist out of the U21s, if the minors achieve anything near that and the seniors salvage some pride with two wins in the qualifiers, it's still a season of some progress in Cavan.

Denn Forever

U21 team of 1988 played in 1985 Ulster Final against Donegal.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 15, 2011, 10:50:37 AM
U21 team of 1988 played in 1985 Ulster Final against Donegal.

What?? We played Donegal in 1983 Ulster Senior final. We also played in the Ulster Minor final in 1988 beaten by a Peter Canavan inspired Tyrone. Don't tink we reached any Ulster final in 1985?

Denn Forever

Contested the Ulster Minor final in 1985.  Members of that team included Ronan Carolan, Vivian Dowd, John Reilly of Coothill, John Donnelan of Bailiboro, Sean Pierson, Dessie and Lawrence Brady of Gowna.  Surprisingly, Damien Reilly, one of our best players of the 90s never played Minor or U21.

So brilliance at underage level is no predictor of suitability for IC.

means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 15, 2011, 12:06:56 PM
Contested the Ulster Minor final in 1985.  Members of that team included Ronan Carolan, Vivian Dowd, John Reilly of Coothill, John Donnelan of Bailiboro, Sean Pierson, Dessie and Lawrence Brady of Gowna.  Surprisingly, Damien Reilly, one of our best players of the 90s never played Minor or U21.

So brilliance at underage level is no predictor of suitability for IC.

Sorry my mistake.
Being very pedantic with ya Denn but Damien played on the 1988 U-21 team at Full-Back.

I agree with your point in general though. There is no doubting that we have some fine talent coming through and if handled correctly hopefully they will make Senior footballers. Niall Mc Dermott for instance didnt look out of his depth and had a fine 1st half. But there is still a big difference in U-21 and Senior football. Throwing 5 or 6 lads in at the deep end is ok when they are surrounded by seasoned campaigners. We didn't have that on Sunday and I fear that the experience may not be a good thing for some of them lads.
The thing that disappointed me most about Sunday was the fear and lack of responsibility shown by most of the players.Nobody wanted the ball. Everybody was looking around for somebody else to do something. The overall negative tactics employed was a big factor in that though to be fair.
For example Paddy Carroll was involved in the move for the penalty where he ended up in front of the opposition goals. That was in the last minute. How come it took 70 mins for us to say 'Damn this we have nothing to lose, we might as well attack''? What was said at Half Time? Cavan definitely didnt come out in the 2nd half like a team busting to get at it and determined to take Donegal on and go man for man with them. The management have to take some responsibility there. We set up with 1 maybe 2 sweepers again at the start of the 2nd half when we were 6 points down and with a wind at our backs. What in the name of God was the thinking there?
Compare that negative attitude to the Minor footballer Mc Brearty who IMO was close to MOTM. He played with no fear and always wanted the ball. 
Cavan are not near as bad as they showed on Sunday but the management have to start playing to our strengths and quit worrying about the opposition.

footy15

Mountnugent top of table and Corlough bottom but funny enough Mountnugent got bet by a point by Corlough last Friday.

Denn Forever

means what he says...

boojangles

Ya may get on to Whatsmyname and find out whats going on. I wonder were there any peculiar betting patterns for this game. Betfair could be launching an investigation.

whats my name

Eh about that mishap we were missing 7 from the last game against killdallon plus we had the just turn up and beat these syndrom as they were playing so bad and had gotten beaten the week previous by the guts of 20 points

footy15

I also heard Corlough missing 5 or 6 players and far from there strogest team.

PhilsJemmysField

Murphy has got off with his red card which was only right.  So far at least the panel have stuck together and no defections so lets hope we can be positive about Saturday week

Westside

Corlough's best player Martin Cassidy quit a few weeks ago and they were missing their fullback Joe Prior, they work with the bare minimum of players most well past retiring but don't want to quit as they won't be able to field a team, they won this game after sacking their manager and losing every single game before this and they STILL managed to get the bit between their teeth and get back a 6 point deficit to the top team in the group. It's a testament to the lads involved that they can even field a team never mind win up in Mountnugent no matter how many players Mountnugent were missing.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on June 18, 2011, 12:32:53 AM
Corlough's best player Martin Cassidy quit a few weeks ago and they were missing their fullback Joe Prior, they work with the bare minimum of players most well past retiring but don't want to quit as they won't be able to field a team, they won this game after sacking their manager and losing every single game before this and they STILL managed to get the bit between their teeth and get back a 6 point deficit to the top team in the group. It's a testament to the lads involved that they can even field a team never mind win up in Mountnugent no matter how many players Mountnugent were missing.

At the best of times Corlough would have struggled for numbers but this recession & emigration must really be tightening teams like Corlough. I wonder how long will it be before some team has to fold?

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 18, 2011, 11:01:39 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 18, 2011, 12:32:53 AM

At the best of times Corlough would have struggled for numbers but this recession & emigration must really be tightening teams like Corlough. I wonder how long will it be before some team has to fold?

Fair play to clubs like this who keep on going in what I'm sure are seriously tough times. The facilities in Corlough are a credit to the whole area and probably a clear sign that the club has no intentions of folding. I don't know how many they have lost since the downturn but I'm sure it's been alot more than most clubs.
Our Reserve team has been given the points twice this year by clubs not fit to field a reserve team. This problem is only going to get worse and it may the beginning of the end for some clubs.
We probably all have debated about the merits of having less clubs in the county and the advantages of clubs amalgamating but lets be honest nobody would like to be in a position where you basically have to up sticks and join with the nearest larger club. I feel all clubs should be given as much support as is possible to keep them running and competing. Your club after all is your identity.