Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilsJemmysField

Either right or wrong we have t stick with these lads as at least they seem to want to play for Cavan. What Cullivan did was criminal but in a way what Damien Reilly did by lying down was even worse. Both incidents summed up the headless approach.  The next day vs Longford we  have t come out of our box and play with a half forward line and at least attempt to play football. Really disappointing that we made no attempt to be positive

rodney trotter

Damian barkey was one if the subs yesterday aswell. Cavan were shocking yesterday, i think people read too much into the u21s getting to the All Ireland final. At the end of the day they were hammered by galway, and could have been beaten by a poor Wexford team if it wasn't for o'meara. It was a great achievment no doubt but dont think them players are going to change things all of a sudden but in time they will improve. I agree with the person who was talking about carrol not looking interested, he quit the panel early in the year as he wasn't fully commited, they rang him 4 or 5 times and he eventually decided to go back in. You either want to play or you dont. I think givney has gone back from last year, he seems like a bit of a poser like one or 2 other Cavan players ::)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 13, 2011, 11:21:59 AM
Damian barkey was one if the subs yesterday aswell. Cavan were shocking yesterday, i think people read too much into the u21s getting to the All Ireland final. At the end of the day they were hammered by galway, and could have been beaten by a poor Wexford team if it wasn't for o'meara. It was a great achievment no doubt but dont think them players are going to change things all of a sudden but in time they will improve. I agree with the person who was talking about carrol not looking interested, he quit the panel early in the year as he wasn't fully commited, they rang him 4 or 5 times and he eventually decided to go back in. You either want to play or you dont. I think givney has gone back from last year, he seems like a bit of a poser like one or 2 other Cavan players ::)

Givney has been struggling with back injury all year so I think you should go easy on him. A lot is expected from him to carry the whole midfield and he is only 22, in his 2nd season with the seniors.

I watched the game on the TV again yesterday evening and I couldn't fault the effort of almost all the players, they tried hard but they hadn't the strength nor were they set up properly by management. Even Lyng, who had a poor game in terms of his distribution, did work hard to get the ball back. I'll probably be accussed yet again of targeting him but Johnston was the only player that did not pull his weight. His direct number (Karl Lacey) set up a huge amount of Donegal attacks so he neither contributed to scoring, winning possession nor tackling back. He most certainly did not play a captains part. I don't know what his problem is exactly but when your most skilful player and captain is a passenger then something is clearly wrong somewhere. Compare his contribution with debutant McDermott beside him.

BallyhaiseMan

The problem is Myles, Seanie is lost in the blanket defence,it happened 2 years ago against Antrim in Clones,when he didnt get a kick. Hes a terrific footballer,but hes not going to win primary possession,not like Niall McDermott can, he just doesnt have the physique to do so.

I watched the game last night,and other than 3 mistakes(which unfortunately resulted in 1-02),Dane O' Dowd done alot of good work,put in alot of hits and good tackles,hes a good footballer,but is probably better suited as a wing back.

Westside

Eugene Keating is another whose attitude I would question. Childish reckless challenges towards the end when things weren't going his way and could and perhaps should have been sent off. This after a game where he didn't take one shot at the posts as far as I can recall..

When are the Minors playing?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on June 13, 2011, 02:25:10 PM
Eugene Keating is another whose attitude I would question. Childish reckless challenges towards the end when things weren't going his way and could and perhaps should have been sent off. This after a game where he didn't take one shot at the posts as far as I can recall..

When are the Minors playing?

Eugene Keating gave it a go yesterday to be fair Westside,he won a fair bit of ball in the full forward line,but was crowded out of it a number of times , as Cavan just did not have the numbers forward to support him. He also carried the ball well out the field.

PhilsJemmysField

Apparently Longford game s going t be part of a double header in Breffni with Meath N Louth. Jesus we better win now imagine loosing in front of a few thousand Meath Men

Denn Forever

A no brainer but a good piece of marketing to have a douleheader. 

We'll feel we could win and Longford will feel they could win so it sould be a good game.  As long as we give it a go and attempt to play some football.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Mickey Harte definitely owes us one. Yesterday he got a free lesson in how NOT to play against Donegal.
Fair play to Donegal. They have a team plan that suits their players. We on the otherhand had nothing. Trying a re-hash of what we thought Donegal were going to do.
Niall Murray being asked to play in a position he has never played in before in the biggest game of his career.
We gave them the extra man out the field with this stupid tactic and they always had an extra man off the shoulder.
All the players worked hard but if that is the best 15 players we have in the county then my eyes are starting to fail me.
That wasn't a TEAM we seen out their yesterday. Even lining up for the National anthem tells a tale.
We'v all heard the stories of indiscipline and players getting away with it. It wasn't dealt with from the start of Val/Terrys reign and its hard to rectify it now.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on June 13, 2011, 04:02:15 PM
Mickey Harte definitely owes us one. Yesterday he got a free lesson in how NOT to play against Donegal.
Fair play to Donegal. They have a team plan that suits their players. We on the otherhand had nothing. Trying a re-hash of what we thought Donegal were going to do.
Niall Murray being asked to play in a position he has never played in before in the biggest game of his career.
We gave them the extra man out the field with this stupid tactic and they always had an extra man off the shoulder.
All the players worked hard but if that is the best 15 players we have in the county then my eyes are starting to fail me.
That wasn't a TEAM we seen out their yesterday. Even lining up for the National anthem tells a tale.
We'v all heard the stories of indiscipline and players getting away with it. It wasn't dealt with from the start of Val/Terrys reign and its hard to rectify it now.

What happened during the anthemn?

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 13, 2011, 03:54:09 PM
A no brainer but a good piece of marketing to have a douleheader. 

We'll feel we could win and Longford will feel they could win so it sould be a good game.  As long as we give it a go and attempt to play some football.

Thats depressing that people would be happy with giving it a go against Longford. 

Shows how low things are at present  :(

I hope more experienced players are brought in the next day, it will be interesting to see if the panel will stay together.

Westside

I'd rather lose to Longford playing attacking football instead of win playing defensive. Yes we are at a low point but the answer is not to start copying Donegal or Antrim tactics.
I also think any more than 1-2 changes (along with replacing Cullivan) would do the players confidence a lot of harm. Tell them we are building for the future and then dump them when things go pear shaped on their first outing? No.. It's hugely important the management stick with them.

Breffni_Yank

Was I the only one that thought we didn't look particularly fit? Who is the team trainer?

I think its vital we stick with the same team the next day and let these boys develop. What is the point in switching back to the old faces who have consistently let us down.

To be fair effort was not lacking on Sunday but it was clear one or two where out of their depth. Don't think O'Dowd has the makings of a cornerback at all. When the u21s bet Donegal earlier on in the year the workrate from the forwards was exceptional and probably the best I've ever seen from a Cavan team. We got nowhere near that level on Sunday. How many times did they waltz up the pitch without us getting a single hand on?

I'm not getting too down about the whole thing. Don't forget the u21's really only joined the panel two or three weeks ago so there is no way Val had the team as prepared as he would have liked.

Like the look of McDermott a lot and Murray and Flanagan's work ethic were excellent too. Them boys will improve as time goes on.

At the start of the year if we were told we told we would lose to Donegal but win an Ulster u21 I think we all would have been quite happy to take that.

put-it-up-again

Minnagh is definitely not in the States.

anglocelt39

Was reading an article about Laois a few weeks ago that got me thinking about our own situation. A number of minor and under 21 all irelands in the mid to late 90's but they feel they never quite went on and delivered at senior level as they would have wanted. One of the comments offered was that there was not a hard core of experienced players to bring them along and thus a pile of them were thrown in together at senior level. I think that just about sums up our situation perfectly at the moment. We have the product of two handy enough Under 21 sides coming through, which is a fraction of what Laois had to work with, the big problem as I see it is that I can't think of a single player over 25 years old that these young lads would look to as a real, genuine, no holds barred leader on and off the pitch.

Where we are might not be dis-similar to where we were in 1988 when we had an Under 21 side come from pretty much nowhere and make and AIF. We'd done feck all at senior level in the preceding six years, after 88 our first win in the Ulster Championship was in 1995!!!! As far as I'm concerned that was the difference when we won Ulster finally in 97. A bunch of young lads came through from the 96 Under 21 team and were able to gell in with serious experience like Damien O Reilly, Cahill, Carolan, Stephen King etc. etc. What we'd give for that sort of experience now. On a positive note we seem to be making some progress at underage level now and it would be great to see minors make an Ulster final and get through to an All Ireland series, no reason why we can't compete at Under 21 level again next year.

Having said all that these embarrassing defeats at senior championship level are getting too regular and need to stop before the young guys lose heart. Longford feel hard done by from the Laois game and we will have our hands full against them. Win two games in the qualifiers and don't feckin well lie down when we are beaten and there is some hope.

After that rambling shell shocked stream of consciousness I'm off for a lie down.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds