Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Absolutely fuckin pathetic.
The Management had 7/8 months knowing that Donegal were the likely opponents and would play this way,and still absolutely no clue how to beat the blanket defence.
Kicking the ball over and back,passing the buck with absolutely no idea what to do.
What is the point in playing 2 extra men back when,we are 11 points down????
Paul Durkin took at least 5 Cluxton style kickouts, to free Donegal men throughout the game,and there was not one thing done about it.
When the ball did go high to midfield,we won 3 kickouts in the air to Donegals 0,of course once again we were destroyed on breaks.
We are going to get crucified on the Sunday Game tonight,and we 100% deserve it.

Full Back line was all over the shop,
How does Dane O Dowd let a 17 year old,push him about for the goal????
McBrearty roasted Dermot Sheridan aswell.
Carroll couldnt compete with McFadden.

Niall Murray tried hard to be fair,even if he did give the ball away a few times.
John McCutcheon was our best player,
Damien Reily looked composed on the ball and can be fairly happy with his debut.

Givney and McKiernan tried,but they had no support and were outnumbered 99% of the time at midfield.

Lyng gave the ball away every single time,and was lucky to stay on aslong as he did.
Fergal Flanagan put in a sight of work,but is probably at a bit raw for this level yet.

Niall McDermott threw himself about and showed for the ball. He needs to strengthen up though,as he was dispossed too easily.
Eugene Keating again tried hard,but with little support.
Jelly spent most of his time back in defence chasing Karl Lacey.

f**k it,enough or il just put myself in bad humour.  >:(

club_man

Shocking performace. The donegal style of play is absolutely putrid and goes against everything good in the game of football.13 men behind the ball at all times, I feel sorry for the people that paid 27 euro into the stand to watch this game.

As for us, where to start? Dane O'Dowd looked completely out of his depth, as said Mc Brearty destoyed him on his starting debut. Though Carroll did okish on McFadden. Dermot Sheriden always behind his man. Midfield I thought weren't great. The two Donegal men picked up a world of breaking ball and made good use of it.

Jelly could do nothing because of the way Donegal defence (and fowards) set up. Keating puts the head down too much and trys to do too much himself. Lyng I though was terrible. In the first half every ball he gave went backwards, including a number of frees which he directed back towards our defence.

Longford now in the qualifiers and I wouldnt be too hopeful.

full moon

For a poor side like us, how can we put a panel with no players from the County Champions?

Beggars belief.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: full moon on June 12, 2011, 06:53:39 PM
For a poor side like us, how can we put a panel with no players from the County Champions?

Beggars belief.

Their only representative ,probably the best Centre Half back in the county was played at cornerback for the first half of the league.
That makes complete sense doesnt it Full Moon?  ::)

Westside

BBC with some woeful commentary there.. Basically mocking Cavan throughout the game, the performance might deserve no better but it was poor form.

mylestheslasher

Steady on now lads!

First up, we effectively had an U21 team against a senior team today. It was men against boys. But that is the way its got to be because we can't get 15 men in Cavan that want to put in the effort (and that includes our county champions & Cavan Gaels players), dedication and all that is required to be a county footballer. We have to do what Roscommon did a few years back and go with youth, that 1st year they took a hammering of Mayo but then won Connaught and are now in another final.

It was clear from the parade that we were going to struggle physically to match Donegal and to break tackles. Now that does not explain the brainless tactics employed today. 2 Sweepers marking no one, intercepting nothing, just taken out of the game. No pressure on the Donegal midfield and half backs as they came forward. Lyng had a terrible game but was took off way too late. Big half time plan to put Givney FF lasted all of 10 minutes, he broke 3 balls in there and neither corner forward were anywhere near him! 10 points behind and put our best half back into corner back!!! Seanie Johnston captain?? won 1 ball clean in the whole match, compared to Niall McDermott who gave it a real go and kicked a few points and won a lot of frees. McKeever, Nesty and Brennan need to start cos we need a little bit more strength on the team next day.

Donegal are a well drilled team. They have a plan and they stick to it. They have what you could almost call set piece kick outs to ensure possession. They turn every game into a shite spectacle but its all within the rules so its up to the opposition to stop it.

I wouldn't be too hard on the players, its going to be a long journey back to being competitive at this level and that's just the way it is.

Westside

Brennan has to start the next game, our best player against Fermanagh last year and did well when he came on today. Deserved his place. Johnston was terrible.. One attempt at a score from the corner in 70 minutes!? Not a captain, McCutcheon looked like a leader today.
Lyng trying to be "playmaker" would look more at home on a soccer pitch, passes from half forward to half back line is not picking out passes in a Gaelic football. Boys afraid to have a shot on goal when faced with a mass defence, nothing is more frustrating to watch.

Good post Myles, the players in fairness did seem to try hard and they are young, they need to be given time and chances to prove themselves.

Longford up next, a game we can win but it will be very hard especially after such a confidence knock as today. I'd start McKeever and Brennan.. And quit the negative muck.

BallyhaiseMan

Nesty
Martin Cahill
Michael Brennan
Tommy Corr
Mark McKeever

should all start against Longford in my opinion.

Westside

I don't want to get into the game of slating players after the loss but I do think Patrick Carroll doesn't look like a County footballer and neither does Dane O'Dowd, Carroll doesn't look to have the heart, the backheel at the end smacked of a player who didn't care that much. Maybe that's harsh but that's the impression I got.
Oisin Minagh, Marc Leddy and Rory Dunne will hopefully provide more options in defence next year..

BallyhaiseMan

When you actually look at it,only 4 of the under 21's started
Fergal Flanagan,Niall Murray,Gearoid McKiernan and Niall McDemott

Oisin Minagh
Kevin Meehan
Damien Barkey
Niall Smith
Packie Leddy
Jack Brady

Michael Brady and Alan O Mara were on the bench
That group were among the very best performers in the under 21 side,yet they werent on the panel today.
(Yes i know some of them were are in the States before anyone points that out)

Andrews/Hyland need to make up their mind,are they going tear up the script altogether and blood the under 21's and take whatever bumps that come,like Roscommon did a few years ago,or are they going to half arse it like they did today,playing new players(not under 21's) just for the sake of them being new who clearly arent as good as what is on the bench.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on June 12, 2011, 10:32:34 PM
I don't want to get into the game of slating players after the loss but I do think Patrick Carroll doesn't look like a County footballer and neither does Dane O'Dowd, Carroll doesn't look to have the heart, the backheel at the end smacked of a player who didn't care that much. Maybe that's harsh but that's the impression I got.
Oisin Minagh, Marc Leddy and Rory Dunne will hopefully provide more options in defence next year..

Oisin Minagh - went to the US after the U21's, presume he knew he'd be involved with seniors but off he went
Leddy - Did he not refuse to go in
Dunne - Wouldn't go into seniors last year, I assume same this year.

This is the problem, a lot of these guys don't want to be there. Even if you put pressure on them to go in it would be with half a heart and then would they put their head in and take a kick to save a point?

This is a problem. We seem to have lost the link with the past. It should be every players dream to wear the Cavan jersey, not a chore. That's one of the reasons I went mad when the county team last year decided to play a f**king challenge game with Longford the day they put Mick Higgins, one of our greatest ever players, into the ground. The link is being lost and we might as well be Leitrim or Fermanagh as being Cavan if thats the way we are going to go on. So I have to believe the lads in there now are a different breed, I saw something in the U21's this year that was different, a f**k you we are Cavan and we won't lie down for anyone. That is why we must persevere with these lads and not make rash decisions and panic and bring people in that have rejected Cavan in the past, that want the bag and the gear and stick out their chests in the imperial cos they are county men without putting everything they have got into it.

A win against Longford would do wonders but it will be a tough one. I would make some changes. Maybe Brennan in and nesty for lyng. But most importantly, lets have a game plan that is simple yet effective. Let every man know their job. Hyland said in an interview after the game that the plan was to move the ball fast yet every ball that went to lyng went backwards. So either Lyng didn't hear the team talk or Hyland is talking shite? Anyway, keep it simple and take Longford on and attack them.

Enough ranting now for one night.

Westside

In relation to Minagh, he went after the U21s yes but perhaps he just felt he had no more to give for the cause for the year, he busted himself for the Cavan jersey all year and even when facing a point hammering in Croker he still fought to the very end, I would have been much happier seeing him taking up position today than Carroll. Leddy went to San Fran for the summer I think and is Rory Dunne not out injured this year? I'd have a lot more respect for lads who are in while they are in and out when they are out, not lads like Lyng and Pierson who float around the panel "just for the sake of it" as Carr said.

Today showed it's a long road back from where we've found ourselves.. Time will tell if Tom Reilly and Hyland are the men with the knowledge and foresight to get Cavan back on the right road or if they are just spoofers.

full moon

On Lyng, I feel hes overhyped. He looks good picking out passes for the Gaels against weaker club opposition. Truth be told, hes never really proven an awful lot in the championship, certainly compared to Johnston. So he shouldnt be guaranteed a place. I agree with Myles Nesty for Lyng would seem to be a good decision.
I'm not being negative for the sake of it, but some of the senior players arent cut out for it at this level.   

I didnt see the bench today, so cant comment really there but does anyone think there should be more Kingscourt players involved among others.

Personally I feel:
Alan Clarke, Barry Reilly (Kingscourt)
Gaynor
Sean McCormick (Ballyhaise)
Minnagh ( Redhills)

Would all improve the team especially the defence, who today I thought were poor. I know Minnagh is in America which is a shame as I feel he would be alot better than some of the defenders. I never been impressed by Dane O Dowd, and again today was not at the races, he must be doing something right to be there the last few years, but I dont think hes starting quality.

Also does anyone know if Niall Mckiernan or Declan McKiernan are involved in the panel. Again I feel these players have the size and ability to excel for the team.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: full moon on June 13, 2011, 12:09:45 AM
On Lyng, I feel hes overhyped. He looks good picking out passes for the Gaels against weaker club opposition. Truth be told, hes never really proven an awful lot in the championship, certainly compared to Johnston. So he shouldnt be guaranteed a place. I agree with Myles Nesty for Lyng would seem to be a good decision.
I'm not being negative for the sake of it, but some of the senior players arent cut out for it at this level.   

I didnt see the bench today, so cant comment really there but does anyone think there should be more Kingscourt players involved among others.

Personally I feel:
Alan Clarke, Barry Reilly (Kingscourt)
Gaynor
Sean McCormick (Ballyhaise)
Minnagh ( Redhills)

Would all improve the team especially the defence, who today I thought were poor. I know Minnagh is in America which is a shame as I feel he would be alot better than some of the defenders. I never been impressed by Dane O Dowd, and again today was not at the races, he must be doing something right to be there the last few years, but I dont think hes starting quality.

Also does anyone know if Niall Mckiernan or Declan McKiernan are involved in the panel. Again I feel these players have the size and ability to excel for the team.

subs were
16. Alan O' Mara
17. Mark McKeever
18. Gareth Smith
19. Thomas Corr
20. Cian Mackey
21. (used by Dermot Sheridan who started)
22. Keith Fannin
23. Michael Brady
24. Stephen Jordan
25. Michael Brennan
26. Martin Cahill
2. James McEnroe??? (not sure if he was lined out or not)

tommysmith

That was as bad as what i have seen in the last 20 years.  (obv wasnt in cork last yr)

I dont know if i can continue to waste hard earned money going to and paying into watch that trash.