i would reckon the seniors will line up something like

Miller

Carroll             Flanagan        O Dowd
                     (on Murphy)

McEnroe           McCutcheon      Reily

McKiernan       Givney

Murray              Lyng           Keating

Jelly                  Cullivan          McDermott

Cullivan will be out around the middle Id say and Keating will hav to be in the FF line because its the only place for him. IMO.

Keating played against against ourselves 2/3 weeks ago on the 40,and his movement,workrate and long range point scoring were fantastic.Best individual display ive seen in Division 1 this year.
I think Rays aerial ability would leave him  better suited as a target man in at Full Forward,as his lack of pace might be exploited by Donegal out the field.

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 08, 2011, 05:43:39 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 08, 2011, 05:39:26 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 08, 2011, 05:19:06 PM

Miller

(on Murphy)

McKiernan       Givney

Cullivan will be out around the middle Id say and Keating will hav to be in the FF line because its the only place for him. IMO.

Keating played against against ourselves 2/3 weeks ago on the 40,and his movement,workrate and long range point scoring were fantastic.Best individual display ive seen in Division 1 this year.
I think Rays aerial ability would leave him  better suited as a target man in at Full Forward,as his lack of pace might be exploited by Donegal out the field.

I keep hearing this but have seen very little from him in Cavan Colours. 

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: tommysmith on June 08, 2011, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 08, 2011, 05:43:39 PM

Miller

(on Murphy)

McKiernan       Givney

I keep hearing this but have seen very little from him in Cavan Colours.

Two years ago against fermanagh in the championship,he was instrumental as a targetman. Hes also played well in a multitude of league games.
He hasnt played very many championship games for Cavan,as he was frozen out in Keoghans second year and left last year.
He will struggle around the middle because at 5'11 ,he will be giving away 3/4 inches of height against most IC midfielders,and that when you take into account reach etc is major,but his fielding ability,strength and jumping ability alongside his allround game would make him a tough opponent at FF.

Westside

McKiernan interviewed in the Celt saying he's not ready for Midfield just yet, could that mean that he will not be playing his whole game in the middle of the field? I agree with BHM about Keating. Remember the damage he did against Tipp when he went out towards the 40? With Donegal packing their defence his ability to take long range scores will be vital.

I think this is a huge game for Givney and Keating to deliver on their potential, they need to prove that they can cut it at this level.

Cullivan was immense at midfield against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup, he played like a man possessed that day and more or less roasted Hughes. If he can repeat that type of performance I'd have no qualms about playing him in the middle.

mylestheslasher

Miller

(on Murphy)

McKiernan       Givney

Best I've seen Keating playing was further out the field. No sure that FF suits him. Cullivan is due a big game for us for me he has not lived up to the potential he showed underage or even in his 1st senior season when he was superb. Saw him in a challenge against Down and he was terrible. Maybe he needs a kick in the hole, if so lets hope he got it and is fired up to prove a point. I think Johnston is going to need a lot of help in the FF line cos he will have 2 and 3 men on him whenever he gets the ball. Its critical that the others do their fair share too.

boojangles

Nobody is doubting Keatings potential and in fairness he has the ability to play anywhere he has that much going for him. But my opinion is that he is a selfish footballer whos first instinct is to take a solo, no matter what. We need to keep the ball moving fast on Sunday and I think he would slow things down around the middle.
He is strong and can win his own ball and he can also take a score. That's why I would play him FF.
I take the point that he scored 3 great points when brought out against Tipp but the game had opened up completely at that stage. Maybe I'm being harsh on the lad but I think the management have got it right with him.
I also seen Cullivan that day against Tyrone and while it was heavy conditions that night compared to what Sunday will be like, if you could even get that effort for 30 minutes around the middle it would make Givneys and Mc Kiernans life alot easier.

Celt_Man

Juniors apparently won 13 points to 4 and Kildare beat Dublin 1-9 to 5 in the other semi-final so it's Cavan v Kildare in the Leinster Junior Final in three weeks' time.

By the by, Cavan are unbeaten so far in Championship Football this year!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

anglocelt39

Quote from: put-it-up-again on June 08, 2011, 03:18:34 PM
Junior team for tonight is as follows:

Alan O Mara
Terry Hyland
Thomas Wakely
Ă“isin Minagh
Stephen Jordan
Sean Mc Cormack
Michael Brady
Niall Mc Kiernan
Enda King
Robert Maloney-Derham
Anton O Reilly
Declan Meehan
Keith Fannin
Jason O Reilly
Jack Brady

Subs:
Stephen Tormey
Killian Reilly
Daniel Graham
Colm Smith
Ryan Mc Cormack
Tomas Reilly
Finbarr O Reilly
Barry Watters
Padraigh Reilly
Chris Conroy
Shane Tierney

I tipped into Nowlan Park tonight. Team as above except Wakely and Minagh did not start (don't think Minagh togged out), replaced by Tomas Reilly and Finbar O Reilly (there''s a blast from the past). Maloney Derham dropped into defence and Finbar went into the ff line. All Cavan scores were kicked from play, Hard to know what to make of it as KK were, pardon the pun, Cat. However they did beat Wexford so maybe there was something there that they failed to show tonight. Scorers Michael Brady (3), McKiernan (3), Maloney (2), Meehan (2), Fannin (2), Jack Brady (1). Subs used Barry Waters, Ryan McCormack, Wakely and Conroy. McCormack nabbed a point as well. Thought we struggled a bit in the first half when I thought only Enda King and Fannin showed ok. We got a lot more space in the seond half and I was quite impressed with Meehan and McKiernan. The later could be an asset at midfield for Under 21's next year if he keeps working.

Noticeable again how we seemed much smaller than KK in a fair few lines, never seems to change.

See no harm at all in being involved in this. Good way to keep lads involved from the Under 21 level and if a few experienced heads are in there, so be it. Would not be sure I saw any potential game changers for next Sunday though.

Sunday's team clearly very inexperienced but there has been a need for a clear out for a while now. All we ask is that 20 lads put in an effort and play for each other. Would like to have seen Flanagan and Dermot Sheridan start for a bit more experience, but think there may be injuries involved, certainly in Ronan's case.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BigMac

I would love to know how many different players Cavan have used in championship football in the last 5 years. I know we had to bring in some of the under 21's this year, and a clean out was needed at some stage, but it seems like there is at least 5 new starters every year. No consistency at all. I realise consistency isn't what we need, when we were consistently losing, but just makes me wonder why there is such a high turn over. Would anyone be able to tell me where I could find the Cavan championship teams since say 2006?

boojangles

Quote from: BigMac on June 08, 2011, 11:28:34 PM
I would love to know how many different players Cavan have used in championship football in the last 5 years. I know we had to bring in some of the under 21's this year, and a clean out was needed at some stage, but it seems like there is at least 5 new starters every year. No consistency at all. I realise consistency isn't what we need, when we were consistently losing, but just makes me wonder why there is such a high turn over. Would anyone be able to tell me where I could find the Cavan championship teams since say 2006?

Id imagine its a crazy number altogether. In Cavan you could pick close to 100 footballers all around the same level who on their day could impress at IC level. Our problem is getting all the committed ones together who can gel and work as a team.
We have 3 starters retained for Sunday from last years team that played against Fermanagh. Even as regards the Junior team last nite, only Stephen Jordan played in last years Leinster Final.
Such a high turnover of players is not good and it doesn't happen in the successful counties.

I was looking through the Hoganstand archives but couldn't get anything. Ya may get the Breifni Blue books out!

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: boojangles on June 09, 2011, 01:11:24 PM

Id imagine its a crazy number altogether. In Cavan you could pick close to 100 footballers all around the same level who on their day could impress at IC level. Our problem is getting all the committed ones together who can gel and work as a team.
We have 3 starters retained for Sunday from last years team that played against Fermanagh. Even as regards the Junior team last nite, only Stephen Jordan played in last years Leinster Final.
Such a high turnover of players is not good and it doesn't happen in the successful counties.

I was looking through the Hoganstand archives but couldn't get anything. Ya may get the Breifni Blue books out!

Maybe Terry and Val might give us abit of stability now though. Read Hyland's piece in the Celt supplement today - he certainly seems to be thinking long term here. Vall too comes across as having the best interests of the county at heart and clearly isn't just here for a few pound like some of his predecessors. I find that very refreshing.

The back of the thing is interesting as well with the u21 goalie. It's nice to hear how players are feeling in a dressing room before a championship match.

Someone said Barry Watters played last night. What ever happened him? Was a great talent.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on June 09, 2011, 01:11:24 PM

If I get a chance I might dig up the programs for the championship and I'll post the teams up. Would be interesting to see for sure.

Denn Forever

Reading the Kildare/Meath thread on the main board would depress the f%^k out of you.  Oh to have their problems.

I hope I am proved wrong but I don't see us beating Donegal on Sunday.  All the players of the above teams are good hardworking players but I don't see any "cute/glic" players.  Hopefully Lyng and Johnson will bring some of the CG magic to Cavan on Sunday.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

2006 Cavan 0-11 Down 1-13 :

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Pauric Reilly, Keith Fannin; Martin Cahill, Anthony Gaynor, Paul Brady (0-1); Dermot McCabe (0-1), Cathal Collins; Mark McKeever, Peter Reilly, Sean Brady; Gerald Pierson (0-1), Larry Reilly (0-2), Sean Johnston (0-6, three frees).
Subs; Jason O'Reilly for Gerald Pierson; Cian Mackey for Peter Reilly; Joey Jordan for Mark McKeever; Eddie O'Reilly for Larry Reilly.

Qualifier 2006 Cavan 1-13 Kildare 1-18

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Anthony Gaynor, Keith Fannin; Martin Cahill (0-1), Anthony Forde (0-1), Cathal Collins; Lorcan Mulvey, Dermot McCabe; Michael Brides, Sean Brady (0-1), Mark McKeever; Sean Johnston (0-6, five frees), Eddie O'Reilly (0-1), Larry Reilly (1-0). Subs; Ronan Flanagan (0-1) for Michael Brides; Enda King for Lorcan Mulvey; Jason O'Reilly (0-2) for McKeever; Padraig Reilly for Martin Cahill; Joey Jordan for Anthony Gaynor (inj)

2007 USFC Cavan 2-11 Down 3-08

James Reilly; Paul Brady, Eamon O'Reilly, Martin Cahill; Michael Hannon, Anthony Forde, Ronan Flanagan; Dermot McCabe (0-2, one free), Lorcan Mulvey; Raymond Cullivan, Mark McKeever, Larry Reilly (1-2); Sean Johnston (0-1), Gerald Pierson (0-3, one free), Jason O'Reilly (0-2, both frees). Subs; Cian Mackey for S Johnston; Nicholas Walsh for L Mulvey; Sean Brady (0-1) for G Pierson; Jonathan Crowe (1-0) for Paul Brady (inj).

Replay Cavan 0-11 v Down 0-15 

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Eamon Reilly, Martin Cahill; Jonathan Crowe, Anthony Forde (0-1), Ronan Flanagan; Dermot McCabe (0-5, three frees), Ciaran Galligan; Larry Reilly (0-1), Micheal Lyng, Sean Brady (0-1); Gerald Pierson, Mark McKeever, Jason Reilly. Subs; Sean Johnston (0-3) for G Pierson; Nicholas Walsh for Ciaran Galligan; Keith Fannin for Larry Reilly; Paul Brady for Jason Reilly; Lorcan Mulvey for Ronan Flanagan.

2007 Qualifier Cavan 3-7 v Mayo 1-19

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Eamonn Reilly, Keith Fannin; Ronan Flanagan, Jonathan Crowe, Martin Reilly; Dermot McCabe (1-4, pen, three frees), Nicholas Walsh; Ray Cullivan (0-1), Anthony Forde, Mark McKeever; Gerald Pierson (0-1), Sean Brady, Larry Reilly (0-1). Subs; Dermot Sheridan for J Crowe; C Mackey for R Cullivan; Jason Reilly (1-0) for G Pierson; Micheal Lyng for L Reilly; Rory Gallagher for E Reilly.

2008 Preliminary Round Cavan 1-19 Antrim 1-14

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Rory Dunne, Michael Brides; Dermot Sheridan, Anthony Forde, Martin Cahill (0-1); Michael McDonald (0-2), Dermot McCabe (1-1); Martin Reilly (0-3), Ronan Flanagan (0-2), Barry Watters; Cian Mackey, Sean Johnston (0-8), Jason O'Reilly (0-2). Subs - Padraig Reilly for Brides, Lorcan Mulvey for Sheridan, Paul Brady for Dunne, Eddie O'Reilly for O'Reilly.

2008 USFC Cavan 0-13 Armagh 0-17

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Rory Dunne, Padraig O'Reilly; Barry Watters, Anthony Forde, Martin Cahill; Michael McDonald, Mark McKeever (0-1); Martin Reilly (0-1), Ronan Flanagan, Cian Mackey (0-2); Sean Johnston (0-6) (3f), Dermot McCabe (0-3), Jason O'Reilly. Subs - Lorcan Mulvey for McDonald, Sean Brady for J O'Reilly, Eddie O'Reilly for M Reilly, M McDonald for Mulvey, Dermot Sheridan for Dunne.

2008 Qualifier Cavan 1-13 Kildare (?)

James Reilly; Martin Cahill, Michael Hannon, Dermot Sheridan; Anthony Forde, Mark McKeever, Barry Watters; Eugene Keating, Dermot McCabe (0-4); Paul Brady (1-0), Ronan Flanagan (0-1), Martin Reilly (0-1); Sean Johnston (0-6), Eddie O'Reilly (0-2), Cian Mackey (0-1). Subs: Padraig O'Reilly for M. Reilly, Nicholas Walsh for Keating.

2009 USFC Cavan 0-13 Fermanagh 1-09
James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brides; John McCutcheon, Eugene Keating, Padraig O'Reilly; Nicholas Walsh, Ciaran Galligan; Sean Brady (0-2), Ronan Flanagan, Cian Mackey (0-2); Martin Reilly (0-4, 3f, 1 '45), Ray Cullivan, Sean Johnston (0-5, 2f). Subs: Rory Dunne for O'Reilly (63), David Givney for Galligan (63), Larry Reilly for Brady (66), Gerald Pearson for Mackey (70)

2009 USFC Cavan 1-7 Antrim 0-13

J Reilly, M Hannon, D Sheridan, M Brides, J McCutcheon, E Keating, P O'Reilly, N Walsh, C Galligan, S Brady, R Flanagan, C Mackey, S Johnston (0-4, 2f), R. Cullivan (0-1), M Reilly (0-1). Substitutes: P Brady for P Reilly (20), R Dunne for McCutcheon (40), L Reilly (0-1) for S Brady (44), D Givney (1-0) for Mackey (53), J O'Reilly for Keating (62).

2009 Qualifier Cavan 0-08 Wicklow 1-12

James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brides; Rory Dunne, Paul Brady (0-1), Ronan Flanagan; Nicholas Walsh, Ray Cullivan; Ciaran Galligan, Sean Brady, Eugene Keating; Gerald Pearson, Larry Reilly (0-3, 3f), Sean Johnston (0-3, 3f). Subs: C Mackey for Keating (29), M Cahill for Dunne (38), D Givney for S Brady (43), E Reilly for Galligan (58).

2010 USFC Cavan 0-13 Fermanagh 1-13

J Reilly; M Hannon, D Sheridan, M Brides; J McCutcheon, E Keating, P O'Reilly; N Walsh, C Galligan; S Brady, R Flanagan, C Mackey; S Johnston, R Cullivan, M Reilly.

2010 Qualifier Cavan 0-15 Wicklow 2-08

F Reilly; D Sheridan, T Corr, M Hannon; M Brides, J McCutcheon, A Clarke (0-1); C Galligan, L Mulvey; R Flanagan (0-2), G Smith (0-4, 1f, 1 '45'), E McGuigan (0-1); C Mackey, M Brennan, M Reilly. Subs: S Johnston (0-6, 2f) for Mackey, M Cahill for M Reilly, M McKeever (0-1) for McGuigan, D O'Dowd for Galligan.

2010 Qualifier Cavan 0-04 Cork 1-19

Cavan - F Reilly; M Hannon, D Sheridan, M Brides; A Clarke, J McCutcheon, M Cahill (capt); C Galligan, N Walsh; R Flanagan (0-2, one free), G Smith, E McGuigan; Philip Brady, M Brennan, S Johnston (0-1, free). Subs: M McKeever for Brady (20 mins), C Mackey (0-1) for Brennan (32 mins), Paul Brady for Galligan (41 mins), D O'Dowd for Brides (45 mins), T Corr for Flanagan (63 mins).

BigMac

Cheers for that Westside. You must have had a good bit of time on your hands today. Will try and count up how many different players we've used now!